News & Developments: Prospect

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
Pistol
Legendary Member!

Re: Prospect | Churchill | Main North Road - Development & N

#31 Post by Pistol » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:20 pm

Prospect Council has thought of us and provided a comprehensive list of all developments that are occurring in their council boundary.
7.1 of the attached link has both a list and description of the development:
http://www.prospect.sa.gov.au/webdata/r ... ersion.PDF

From the report:
Currently 8 of the developments have been constructed and are occupied, 38 have been approved with 16 under construction and 22 are under assessment by the council.

Phenomenal!!
Churchill Road will be wall to wall apartments in five years time.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#32 Post by crawf » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:42 pm

If I read correctly, looks like the big chunk of vacant land on the corner of Churchill and Regency Roads is finally about to be developed.

Mixed use - apartments / townhouses / commercial space

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by Torrens_5022 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:04 pm

Looks like they have a proposal to subdivide the southern third (approx) of the block on the corner of Regency / Churchill into about 60 small plots of land (around 80sqm).

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by Norman » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:16 pm

Well done Prospect Council! Love walking or driving through the area and I always see something new.

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#35 Post by PeFe » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:12 pm

From The Advertiser
Vacant land at corner of Churchill and Regency roads in Prospect to be filled with apartments and houses

A VACANT block of land in Prospect is set to become home to hundreds of residents, new parks and shops.
The 5ha site at the corner of Churchill and Regency roads has been empty for more than eight years and is owned by Eminent Homes.
Prospect Council last week approved the company’s application to subdivide half of the land into 62 allotments.
Prospect Green, as the project is known, will have about 80 townhouses and three apartment buildings, subject to further development approvals.
The company is working on plans for the other half of the block, which might include more apartments, shops and open space.

Full article : http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... e17cef61c0

Nathan

#36 Post by Nathan » Thu Jan 19, 2017 1:26 pm

Hopefully an upgrade Islington Station can be integrated with the development (and I mean properly upgraded and integrated, not some new platforms and a path leading into the rear of a building - yes, I'm looking at you St Clair).

ChillyPhilly

#37 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:52 am

Nathan wrote:Hopefully an upgrade Islington Station can be integrated with the development (and I mean properly upgraded and integrated, not some new platforms and a path leading into the rear of a building - yes, I'm looking at you St Clair).
Agree. Should be a condition of any development on the site.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#38 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:24 am

Unfortunately council can't impose that condition on the development. It's council owned land, whereas Islington station is State Government and either federal owned land or private owned land - not sure what ARTC freight comes udner?
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

ChillyPhilly

#39 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:31 am

I'll rephrase what I wrote: it should be a condition that any development is cohesive with, and sensitive to, the location of and access to the station.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

rhino

#40 Post by rhino » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:22 am

ChillyPhilly wrote: it should be a condition that any development is cohesive with, and sensitive to, the location of and access to the station.
Well said. Agree totally.
cheers,
Rhino

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#41 Post by Pistol » Tue Feb 21, 2017 12:36 pm

62 Main North Road (site opposite Scotty's Motel) is now up on Realestate.com
Called 360 Apartments, there are only 28 apartments for sale.
Judging by the size of the building, there is a large component that will be hotel/motel then.

http://www.realestate.com.au/project-36 ... -600015554
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

sefexclusibo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#42 Post by sefexclusibo » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:23 pm

Found photos from Romaldi Constructions for the Palace Nova Cinemas
Attachments
palace nova 2.jpg
palace nova 2.jpg (75.62 KiB) Viewed 7933 times
palace nova 1.jpg
palace nova 1.jpg (77.96 KiB) Viewed 7933 times

TomE
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#43 Post by TomE » Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:43 pm

Latest media on the developments occurring in Prospect.
‘I can see our heritage suburb becoming a slum’: Community concerns over quality of new apartments sparks planning review
Erica Visser, City North Messenger
March 21, 2017 12:17pm

NEW apartment blocks on Churchill and Prospect roads need to meet tougher design standards to address concerns about ugly buildings overlooking people’s homes, says Planning Minister John Rau.

Seventy developments on the two roads have been approved by the state’s Development Assessment Commission in the three years since Mr Rau pushed through controversial planning laws, which increased height limits from two to five storeys.

Prospect Residents’ Association president Elizabeth Crisp said the suburb was paying the price for being a “guinea pig” for government plans to create more inner-city apartments.

“I’m shocked about what’s happened to Prospect,” she said.

“Many of these developments are hideous, cheap and too small ... the council has very little control over what is happening.

“I can see the place becoming a slum. Fundamentally our heritage is at risk.”

Prospect has long been celebrated for its character and heritage. This million-dollar house is currently on the market, listed for auction by Ouwens Casserly.
Mr Rau concedes while many of the developments made a positive contribution to the community, others were causing privacy issues for neighbours.

“You have to ask the question whether some of those balconies are well placed,” Mr Rau said.

“Design and proper attention to interaction with neighbours can make a hell of a difference, and I want to see more attention given to that.”

Mr Rau is reviewing planning regulations for the area in response to concerns from Prospect Council and some residents about the quality of new apartments.

The review will consider tightening rules on overlooking other properties, as well as ways to improve apartments’ external appearances, landscaping and access to natural light.

“Just because a building is three-storeys doesn’t mean it will be horrible and do terrible things to the neighbours,” Mr Rau said.

Prospect Mayor David O’Loughlin welcomed the review, saying the council had warned Mr Rau the approval process was “weak” from “day one”.

“We’ve had more corridor development than every council in this state and we don’t see it slowing down,” Mr O’Loughlin said.

“There’s a greater interest in Prospect Rd properties, which are higher in value and will lead to higher quality (properties).

“We’re hoping the Minister will agree to changes regarding issues such as balconies and external appearance.”

Mr O’Loughlin was on the whole supportive of increased development in the district, which he said had seen “Churchill Rd come alive for the first time in decades.”

Mr O’Loughlin said the council would consult residents in the coming weeks before making a formal submission to the government’s review. He expected new building regulations to be introduced by July.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... dfc6db2642

Nathan

#44 Post by Nathan » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:26 pm

Totally the same:

YellowRoad
Gold-Member ;)

#45 Post by YellowRoad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:37 pm

I agree the comparisons made to slums are poor. However I agree with the basis of the article, there are some pretty uninspiring and poor designs that have been proposed or built so far. Would be happy to see the amendments Raus suggested come into effect.