News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

#16 Post by TorrensSA » Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:11 pm

NQR (Not Quite Right) has replaced the old Rite Price in Morphett Vale and is in the process of fitting out the old Rite Price in Prospect. NQR is Victorias version of the now defunct Rite Price, the stores are very similar, NQR is a bit nicer though and I think has better variety. NQR has been around for over 30 years in Victoria, hopefully they open lots of locations here, times are tough, NQR offers people cheap groceries. Does anyone know if NQR has plans or is in the process of opening other stores in SA?

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#17 Post by TorrensSA » Fri Sep 04, 2020 6:18 pm

NQR Prospect opens tomorrow - Saturday 5th September.

Philip_Green
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#18 Post by Philip_Green » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:06 pm

wow

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#19 Post by TorrensSA » Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:33 pm

It's 2020 bro, it's a slow year and people are out of work and moneys tight, NQR is a lifeline for people since Rite Price is gone. NQR is far nicer than Rite Price too. It took you three weeks to reply to my post lol.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#20 Post by Eurostar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:54 pm

Hungry Jack’s, X Convenience to replace Jarvis Skoda caryard at Hillcrest (next to KFC). Squeezing OTR now.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#21 Post by TorrensSA » Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:07 pm

Theres a Hungry Jacks only 1km up the road in Gilles Plains and another one a few km away in Lightsview

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#22 Post by Eurostar » Sun Sep 27, 2020 7:01 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 5:07 pm
Theres a Hungry Jacks only 1km up the road in Gilles Plains and another one a few km away in Lightsview
Does Burger X do a good trade or has it been a flop, maybe X Convenience will pair up with Hungry Jacks.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#23 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:47 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Not just that, there are two X Conveniences at Greenaches on opposite sides of N/E Road from each-other plus another around the corner on OG Road, tie those in with the OTRs at Greenaches and Hillcrest plus the Liberty at Windsor Gardens, the area is well and truly oversupplied with petrol stations... What a stupid business strategy...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#24 Post by crawf » Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:47 pm
TorrensSA wrote:
Not just that, there are two X Conveniences at Greenaches on opposite sides of N/E Road from each-other plus another around the corner on OG Road, tie those in with the OTRs at Greenaches and Hillcrest plus the Liberty at Windsor Gardens, the area is well and truly oversupplied with petrol stations... What a stupid business strategy...
I live in the area, and completely agree. It's ridicolous how many petrol stations there are.

SBD

#25 Post by SBD » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:29 am

crawf wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:24 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:47 pm
TorrensSA wrote:
I live in the area, and completely agree. It's ridicolous how many petrol stations there are.
I'm in the outer northern suburbs. I have the choice of 4x OTR, 2x Liberty, Coles Express/Shell, Caltex/Woolworths, AMPM, and X-Convenience will be opening soon on Womma Road. Presumably me and my neighbours provide sufficient custom to support all of these shops. Two of the OTRs in Smithfield are only a few driveways apart.One was part of the bulk takeover from BP, but OTR didn't seek to on-sell or close the smaller one, and has opened a new one round the corner only a couple of kilometres away since then (and the first Liberty is in between).

It would be interesting to see the accounts to discover what proportion of the revenue at these shops comes from fuel, and what proportions come from fast food, convenience groceries, coffee etc. Are they really just competing against each other, or they really competing against McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks, Red Rooster and Subway, or against Woolworths and IGA?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#26 Post by Eurostar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:02 pm

@SBD The Womma Road X Convenience opened a few weeks ago.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#27 Post by TorrensSA » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:53 pm

X - Convenience on Womma Road is in Eyre yet X - Convenience calls it Penfield. Is the suburb name Eyre going to ever take off? Also Google Maps still calls it Penfield, the name change happened in 2017. https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/eyre Adelaide has had plenty of suburbs change names eg Davoren Park was Elizabeth Field and Edinburgh North was Elizabeth West.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#28 Post by Eurostar » Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:58 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:53 pm
X - Convenience on Womma Road is in Eyre yet X - Convenience calls it Penfield. Is the suburb name Eyre going to ever take off? Also Google Maps still calls it Penfield, the name change happened in 2017. https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/eyre Adelaide has had plenty of suburbs change names eg Davoren Park was Elizabeth Field and Edinburgh North was Elizabeth West.
Well the Woolworths on Peachey Road is referred to as Playford, there is a school in Craigmore called Playford Primary School. Confusing much

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#29 Post by Modbury_Man » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:23 pm

[/quote]

I'm in the outer northern suburbs. I have the choice of 4x OTR, 2x Liberty, Coles Express/Shell, Caltex/Woolworths, AMPM, and X-Convenience will be opening soon on Womma Road. Presumably me and my neighbours provide sufficient custom to support all of these shops. Two of the OTRs in Smithfield are only a few driveways apart.One was part of the bulk takeover from BP, but OTR didn't seek to on-sell or close the smaller one, and has opened a new one round the corner only a couple of kilometres away since then (and the first Liberty is in between).

It would be interesting to see the accounts to discover what proportion of the revenue at these shops comes from fuel, and what proportions come from fast food, convenience groceries, coffee etc. Are they really just competing against each other, or they really competing against McDonalds, KFC, Hungry Jacks, Red Rooster and Subway, or against Woolworths and IGA?
[/quote]

I think each petrol station would differ - some like the big Smithfield OTR on Main North Rd would make most of their profits from food/coffee, whereas the ex-BP one a few driveways down probably has very low overheads (only 1 staff member) and probably makes most of it's profit off petrol?

SBD

#30 Post by SBD » Thu Oct 01, 2020 12:37 am

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:02 pm
@SBD The Womma Road X Convenience opened a few weeks ago.
Thanks - I didn't realise that as I don't drive that part of Womma Road very often.