News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

#1 Post by I Follow PAFC » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:33 pm

Kmart coming in with the wrecking ball.
SHOPPING Retail giant Kmart is planning a big ticket expansion further into Adelaide’s south, but it’s going to mean big changes for the mall its got its eyes on.

Can't get into it.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenge ... 1e17b1327f

The Shopping Centre is Aldinga central shopping centre.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

Re: Kmart coming in with the wrecking ball.

#2 Post by neoballmon » Thu Feb 06, 2020 9:58 pm

When I worked in that centre (at the time they also built the Drakes) about 10 years ago, there was always a possibility for a department store to go in between the 2 supermarkets, so without getting past the paywall, I'm not sure why they'd need to demolish for this. The space still looks to be there on maps.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#3 Post by Ho Really » Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:43 pm

I Follow PAFC, here's the article...
New Kmart proposed for Aldinga Central Shopping Centre
Ashleigh Pisani, The Messenger
February 6, 2020 4:47pm

Southern suburbs Kmart fans rejoice, your favourite homewares store may finally be coming to Aldinga.

A new $5 million Kmart has been proposed for Aldinga Central Shopping Centre, on the corner of Pridham Boulevard and Aldinga Beach Rd.

Plans have been lodged with Onkaparinga Council for a 6200sq m store next to Coles.

In order to make room for the new shop, the southern end of the mall would be partially demolished.

The plans were first lodged with the council in February last year and have now been released for public consultation.

However, The Messenger understands that the shopping centre is yet to sign a commercial agreement with Kmart and at this point there is no set time frame for the store’s construction.

Aldinga is one of the state’s fastest growing areas with thousands of new homes planned as well as a super school catering for 1675 students set to open in 2022.

Locals have reacted excitedly online to the news that the store – which is extremely popular due to its affordable range of homewares, clothes, toys and electronics – may be coming to Aldinga.

Currently the closest Kmart to Aldinga is about 20km away at Colonnades in Noarlunga Centre.

The Aldinga shopping centre is currently home to a range of shops including Coles, Drakes, Neds, National Pharmacies and Flight Centre.

Nearby residents have until February 19 to provide feedback to the council on the plans.
Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

The Scooter Guy

#4 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:53 pm

"EVERYBODY DANCE NOW!"
:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:
(plays intro from C+C Music Factory's 'Gonna Make You Sweat')
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Patrick_27

#5 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:54 pm

This doesn't need it's own thread... Moderators, can you put this under 'Other Metro Developments'?

how good is he
Legendary Member!

Target

#6 Post by how good is he » Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:10 pm

Heard that Woolworths may take over Target Fulham Gdns when they vacate combined with a Dan Murphys and their BWS goes. Also the former Target at Pasadena is getting a TK Maxx, a fashion & homewares chain, their first outlet in SA.

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

#7 Post by TorrensSA » Tue Jun 23, 2020 5:44 pm

Fulham Gardens Target is not closing. Fulham Gardens is not on the list close or become a Kmart. In SA there's 5 stores closing (or already closed) Clare, Naracoorte, Millicent, Pasadena and Port Lincoln and 4 converting to Kmart Berri, Murray Bridge, Port Augusta and Victor Harbor. Pasadena is the only Metro store on the list and it's probably already closed.

flat04
Gold-Member ;)

#8 Post by flat04 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 pm

TSA, as of earlier this month Target Fulham Gardens was certainly closing, not due to the retailers restructure plans but because of a rental renew dispute. It's due to close in August.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

Re: Target

#9 Post by Brucetiki » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:33 pm

how good is he wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 1:10 pm
Heard that Woolworths may take over Target Fulham Gdns when they vacate combined with a Dan Murphys and their BWS goes. Also the former Target at Pasadena is getting a TK Maxx, a fashion & homewares chain, their first outlet in SA.
That's quite a downgrade for the site - TK Maxx is a poor mans Best and Less.

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#10 Post by Mpol03 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:56 am

I disagree. It can have some great designer finds. It’s so random. But the great can be fantastic.

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#11 Post by Allkai » Fri Jul 03, 2020 8:52 am

flat04 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:16 pm
TSA, as of earlier this month Target Fulham Gardens was certainly closing, not due to the retailers restructure plans but because of a rental renew dispute. It's due to close in August.
Confirmed.

https://7news.com.au/business/retail/ta ... -c-1137520

Mpol03
Legendary Member!

#12 Post by Mpol03 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 6:57 pm

End of an eraaaaa

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#13 Post by TorrensSA » Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:19 pm

An article a month ago https://www.fiveaa.com.au/david-and-wil ... -revealed/ . The centre will get a $10M. So it will be a Drakes a Woolies and Dan Murphys. The BWS will close and Woolies transfer the licence to Dan Murphys, they did the same thing when Brickworks opened they transferred the licence from the Torrensville BWS. I'm guessing this would be seen as a replacement for the Harbourtown Woolies store, just like Brickworks was technically a replacement for Port Adelaide Woolies. I guess it looks good for the company "relocating" stores rather then closures (A very bizarre relocation is the Macca's Glenelg franchise was relocated to Alice Springs lol)

Nathan

#14 Post by Nathan » Sat Jul 04, 2020 9:47 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 8:19 pm
(A very bizarre relocation is the Macca's Glenelg franchise was relocated to Alice Springs lol)
The owner of the franchise actually did move to Alice Springs (while his wife stayed as a single term Labor MP).

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#15 Post by how good is he » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:58 am

I also read the Dan Murphys will have a drive thru, which is a first (and maybe more to come in the future?)