News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by SBD »

TorrensSA wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:53 pm
X - Convenience on Womma Road is in Eyre yet X - Convenience calls it Penfield. Is the suburb name Eyre going to ever take off? Also Google Maps still calls it Penfield, the name change happened in 2017. https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/eyre Adelaide has had plenty of suburbs change names eg Davoren Park was Elizabeth Field and Edinburgh North was Elizabeth West.
The southern half of Davoren Park was also Elizabeth West, and Edinburgh North extends further west (minto what had been part of Penfield) than Elizabeth West did. The boundaries have been moved as well as the name changes.

I expect the name Eyre will eventually become better known, but suburbs and housing estates tend to get mixed up. The suburb of Eyre was originally marketed as "Eyre at Penfield", so a lot of the early residents and neighbours probably think of Eyre as the development and Penfield as the address.

Blakeview also had difficulty getting traction at first - like Eyre, the name is not a historic word for the area. The first housing estates were established in "Smithfield East" and the servo kept that name for a long time after Blakeview was created.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by Eurostar »

New buildings for Chemist Warehouse and Aldi at Clovelly Park are under construction. Looking at the plans I've seen there will be carpark area where the current old buildings are now.
Attachments
received_738845726737432.jpeg
received_3447203042043175.jpeg
mattwinter
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 111
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 3:21 pm

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by mattwinter »

Eurostar wrote:
Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:39 pm
New buildings for Chemist Warehouse and Aldi at Clovelly Park are under construction. Looking at the plans I've seen there will be carpark area where the current old buildings are now.
Aldi opening this Saturday...
eKwatee
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 110
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:44 pm
Location: Mawson Lakes SA
Contact:

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by eKwatee »

Interesting to see how this one plays out. Springwood Estate Gawler East

article from Indaily
Gas supplier warns of "catastrophic" risks in SA housing development

A major gas supplier has urged the State Government’s planning authority to reject revised plans for a 1400-property housing estate in the vicinity of a high-pressure pipeline, warning that a failure of the pipe in the area could lead to a “catastrophic” explosion with “multiple fatalities and widespread injuries”.
https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/12/09/ ... velopment/
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by SBD »

eKwatee wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:57 pm
Interesting to see how this one plays out. Springwood Estate Gawler East

article from Indaily
Gas supplier warns of "catastrophic" risks in SA housing development

A major gas supplier has urged the State Government’s planning authority to reject revised plans for a 1400-property housing estate in the vicinity of a high-pressure pipeline, warning that a failure of the pipe in the area could lead to a “catastrophic” explosion with “multiple fatalities and widespread injuries”.
https://indaily.com.au/news/2020/12/09/ ... velopment/
The pipeline is in a 15-metre wide easement. I wonder what the company says is different about the pipeline there than the same line where it runs along the edge of suburbs or estates in Evanston Park and Munno Para West. The route clearly looks like it was designed to avoid built up areas at the time, but it runs along Fradd Road on the edge of the Almond Grove Estate which was rural when the pipe was laid, so unlikely to have been put significantly deeper.It looks like the houses there have long driveways to cross the pipeline easement.
User avatar
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1601
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Anywhere!
Contact:

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by The Scooter Guy »

Eurostar wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:54 pm
Hungry Jack’s, X Convenience to replace Jarvis Skoda caryard at Hillcrest (next to KFC). Squeezing OTR now.
Another petrol station that we don't even Need, let alone Want. :wallbash:
Petrol prices change just like the weather.
Refining oil is one of the factors to man-made climate change (it releases methane gas into the atmosphere).
It's time we move on to more efficient technologies, especially making more vehicles that run on solar, battery, hydrogen or even a combination of the three! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bikini Bottom could be the next target for an oil rig.
As an environmentalist, Ted Turner would highly disapprove of this. :x
Help us Fight Back the Retail Apocalypse.
Support Small Business More, Support Small Business Better.


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2126
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by Patrick_27 »

The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:41 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:54 pm
Hungry Jack’s, X Convenience to replace Jarvis Skoda caryard at Hillcrest (next to KFC). Squeezing OTR now.
Another petrol station that we don't even Need, let alone Want. :wallbash:
Petrol prices change just like the weather.
Refining oil is one of the factors to man-made climate change (it releases methane gas into the atmosphere).
It's time we move on to more efficient technologies, especially making more vehicles that run on solar, battery, hydrogen or even a combination of the three! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bikini Bottom could be the next target for an oil rig.
As an environmentalist, Ted Turner would highly disapprove of this. :x
Where is the government regulator with this? There are already two OTR's and two X Convenience and a Liberty within a two kilometre radius of this strip... Not to mention the X Convenience on OG Road. Their owners are genuine morons.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by SBD »

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:24 pm
The Scooter Guy wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 2:41 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 2:54 pm
Hungry Jack’s, X Convenience to replace Jarvis Skoda caryard at Hillcrest (next to KFC). Squeezing OTR now.
Another petrol station that we don't even Need, let alone Want. :wallbash:
Petrol prices change just like the weather.
Refining oil is one of the factors to man-made climate change (it releases methane gas into the atmosphere).
It's time we move on to more efficient technologies, especially making more vehicles that run on solar, battery, hydrogen or even a combination of the three! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Bikini Bottom could be the next target for an oil rig.
As an environmentalist, Ted Turner would highly disapprove of this. :x
Where is the government regulator with this? There are already two OTR's and two X Convenience and a Liberty within a two kilometre radius of this strip... Not to mention the X Convenience on OG Road. Their owners are genuine morons.
What do you think a regulator should do? If one of the existing operators of convenience stores in the area thinks it can make a profit by adding another outlet, why restrict development and employment?

They will only sell fuel because there are customers who want it. A bit like "Coles are selling hot cross buns already". Coles are only selling them if someone else is buying them. The statement is equivalent to "people are buying hot cross buns already" - or in this case "people are buying fuel in Hillcrest".

I think the current regulations limit the floor area of a convenience store if they want to operate "extended hours". I guess a consequence of this is that there are a larger number of small shops instead of a few larger shops - but that is the definition of "convenience" anyway. If I only want to pick up one or two things on the way home from work, I stop somewhere that the total walk car-shelf-checkout-car is less than the walk from the car to the front door of supermarket at the larger venue I would do my main weekly grocery shopping at.
bits
Legendary Member!
Posts: 697
Joined: Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:24 pm

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by bits »

Competition on North East Road is amazing. The area is one of the most consistent low price fuel areas.
10-40c lower than the general fuel price everywhere else everyday.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by Eurostar »

What I do find odd is one of the latest X Convenience sites has KFC inside even though KFC would be considered the opposition to X Convenience's Burger X.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by SBD »

Eurostar wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 9:44 pm
What I do find odd is one of the latest X Convenience sites has KFC inside even though KFC would be considered the opposition to X Convenience's Burger X.
Perhaps they both have ideological customer bases? Some potential customers want KFC because it's the same everywhere, everytime. Other potential customers want a local brand.

Also, KFC is chicken, it looks like burger X is predominantly beef burgers.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by Eurostar »

According to Agostino Group website, the franchise owner for Carls Jr there are 3 sites planned to open soon.

Main North Road (Elizabeth)
Main North Road (Pooraka)
Hampstead Road (Clearview)
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1781
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by SBD »

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 pm
According to Agostino Group website, the franchise owner for Carls Jr there are 3 sites planned to open soon.

Main North Road (Elizabeth)
Main North Road (Pooraka)
Hampstead Road (Clearview)
There is neither a fast food alley nor a service station fronting Main North Road in Elizabeth. I wonder where it will be.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 769
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: News & Developments: Other Suburban Retail

Post by Eurostar »

SBD wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 4:15 pm
Eurostar wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:03 pm
According to Agostino Group website, the franchise owner for Carls Jr there are 3 sites planned to open soon.

Main North Road (Elizabeth)
Main North Road (Pooraka)
Hampstead Road (Clearview)
There is neither a fast food alley nor a service station fronting Main North Road in Elizabeth. I wonder where it will be.
The Elizabeth site will be the reserve opposite Elizabeth Magistrates Court. According to a Mix 102.3FM post last year its to include a Vilis too.

https://www.mix1023.com.au/local/the-no ... -de-vilis/

Bear in mind the news story mentions Ampol but I am sure its AMPM
Post Reply