Riverlea (Buckland Park) | 12,000 dwellings | $3b

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Housing Developments | Northern Suburbs

#271 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:36 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:04 pm
The loser ABC and loser Greens collaborating..what a shock. Lol

Its a state and local government failure.
Instead off proper on/off ramps they're putting traffic lights in. That should spell it out.
The majority of residents will be travelling for work, obviously. They're solution is to slow and impede traffic flow, but further down the line they've spent billions and will spend billions more to create a non stop corridor.

This land and much more has been marked for residential development for ages and its been within the metropolian boundary for a long time as well.
They can call it a town, village, satellite city or whatever else they want. Within 30 years its going to be just another suburb of Adelaide proper. Just another post code.

It'll be 30, 40 years before they build proper on/off ramps for access via port wakefield rd, the sort we see say at PREXY/Hanson road. When 30,000 people live in this development, and God knows how many thousands more in the surrounding areas.

And new housing developments are needed whether a minority agrees or not, we cant all and more importantly the majority DO NOT want to live in a tiny box called an apartment.
There is huge demand for housing, ACTUAL housing not shoe boxes.
There's an undersupply. That might be great for my family with multiple properties, but it doesn't help first home buyers, young people or young families, new arrivals from interstate etc.
I find it surprising that the most recent development time extension(s) didn't include additional conditions to require that the intersection be built grade-separated. It will soon be the only set of traffic lights between the River Torrens and Port Augusta.

I suspect that intersection is already one of the three worst crash sites between the Northern Expressway and Port Augusta. Copper Coast Highway is getting grade separated as we speak. I suspect that Angle Vale Road and Warnertown Road (near Port Pirie) are the other two worst ones. Traffic lights will probably help, but it seems like a missed opportunity while there are trucks and scrapers driving around moving dirt to not build a couple of approach ramps while they are at it.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#272 Post by Eurostar » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:37 am

Palm trees again? Do we really need every new suburb to have palm trees? One of the trees i like is tree like the Norfolk Island Pine Tree especially with Buckland Park being close to coast

SBD

#273 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 03, 2021 10:40 am

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:37 am
Palm trees again? Do we really need every new suburb to have palm trees? One of the trees i like is tree like the Norfolk Island Pine Tree especially with Buckland Park being close to coast
Good point. I like the Norfolk Pine idea.

I guess palm trees are used in new developments as they can be transplanted at a mature height rather than looking "new" for a decade. Perhaps they should alternate the mature palms and smaller pines in the first stage, but plant out the pines for future stages of the main roads now. They will provide an impression of future layout and scale, and be more mature by the time that area gets built.

Nort

#274 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:34 pm

Is there any provision for a rail corridor out here? It seems madness in the modern age to be planning a large development like this without provisions for mass-transit.

Nort

Re: Adelaide Plains | Development and News

#275 Post by Nort » Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:40 pm

SBD wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 pm
rev wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:25 pm
Its eventually going to be another suburb of Adelaide, they can call it what they want for marketing purposes today.
That may be, but exactly what it becomes can be managed by what other planning decisions are made. Providing easy transport to the CBD will increase the propensity of people who want to work in the CBD moving to Buckland Park instead of Bowden or Lightview.

Providing local schools, employment, community facilities early might mean it has more people who are inclined to work locally, so the lack of convenient public transport to somewhere else doesn't matter.
That's the type of thinking that works in the short term but in the long term builds ghettos as times change and the area becomes unappealing for people as they change jobs, and kids grow older and many of them start studying in the city.

Llessur2002

#276 Post by Llessur2002 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:09 pm

Isn't the Buckland Park discussion running concurrently in two threads? This one and the Adelaide Plains one?

ChillyPhilly

#277 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:34 pm

Nort wrote:Is there any provision for a rail corridor out here? It seems madness in the modern age to be planning a large development like this without provisions for mass-transit.
Nope.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#278 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:48 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:34 pm
Is there any provision for a rail corridor out here? It seems madness in the modern age to be planning a large development like this without provisions for mass-transit.
The standard gauge (since 1982) Adelaide-Port Augusta railway passes through Virginia, only a few kilometres east of this development. The only passenger trains on it since 1990 are the Ghan and Indian-Pacific. I don't know when the last train might have stopped at Virginia, presumably before it was converted from broad gauge. There seems to be no sign left of the station, not even a crossing loop or grain silos.

The 2015 Integrated Transport Land Use Plan says bus services will be extended to Virginia, Buckland Park and Two Wells as required. It doesn't define what constitutes a "requirement". I expect there will be a school bus route to the new Angle Vale super school (now called Riverbanks College)

SBD

#279 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:49 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:09 pm
Isn't the Buckland Park discussion running concurrently in two threads? This one and the Adelaide Plains one?
Yes it is - I guess it depends on whether you think it's an outer suburb or a new town. :banana:

SBD

Re: Adelaide Plains | Development and News

#280 Post by SBD » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:57 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 12:40 pm
SBD wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:35 pm
rev wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:25 pm
Its eventually going to be another suburb of Adelaide, they can call it what they want for marketing purposes today.
That may be, but exactly what it becomes can be managed by what other planning decisions are made. Providing easy transport to the CBD will increase the propensity of people who want to work in the CBD moving to Buckland Park instead of Bowden or Lightview.

Providing local schools, employment, community facilities early might mean it has more people who are inclined to work locally, so the lack of convenient public transport to somewhere else doesn't matter.
That's the type of thinking that works in the short term but in the long term builds ghettos as times change and the area becomes unappealing for people as they change jobs, and kids grow older and many of them start studying in the city.
Almost every country town has experienced changing employment situations and kids growing up and studying in the city. It is a very city-centric view to regard all country towns as ghettos or ghost towns. I guess it was city people who decided to withdraw all rural rail passenger services, along with banking services and centralising government services which has served to reduce the diversity of employment, too.

The Riverlea masterplan shows several "employment zones" (whatever that means) as well as the neighbourhood and district centres, and several of the nearby businesses seem to be outside of the footprint (for example the olive and kangaroo paw place to the northwest).

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#281 Post by rev » Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:51 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:09 pm
I posted a few things there as that's where the active discussion was at the time I found.
Mods could move posts.

PeFe

#282 Post by PeFe » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:17 pm

rev wrote:

This land and much more has been marked for residential development for ages and its been within the metropolian boundary for a long time as well.
They can call it a town, village, satellite city or whatever else they want. Within 30 years its going to be just another suburb of Adelaide proper. Just another post code.
So far as I can tell the Riverlea/Buckland Park site is outside of the Adelaide urban growth boundary. The Gawler River is the boundary and Riverlea will certainly be north of that.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#283 Post by Goodsy » Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:50 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 4:17 pm
rev wrote:

So far as I can tell the Riverlea/Buckland Park site is outside of the Adelaide urban growth boundary. The Gawler River is the boundary and Riverlea will certainly be north of that.

Riverlea's northern boundary is the Gawler River

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#284 Post by rev » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:49 pm

Goodsy is correct..see the render below (also posted in this or the other thread)..

It may not be easily identifiable at first but if you look closely at the bottom of the image (it's looking from a north to south perspective) you'll see the Gawler River.

A look at the masterplan also confirms this in the following PDF.
https://plan.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... r_Plan.pdf

The development summary PDF also states it's in the region of Northern Adelaide
https://plan.sa.gov.au/resource/documen ... wnship.pdf

https://plan.sa.gov.au/state_snapshot/d ... k_township

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: Riverlea (Buckland Park) | 12,000 dwellings | $3b

#285 Post by Norman » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:01 pm

Only took an hour, but I have carefully picked out all the Buckland Park stuff into this thread.