News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2371 Post by PeFe » Sat Feb 22, 2014 10:02 pm

From the Advertiser
Adelaide’s new $16.5m Wayville rail station will only be used during major events
SLEEK: The modern lines of the new Wayville station. Picture Stephen Laffer Source: News Limited

IT’S Adelaide’s newest train station replete with hi-tech security cameras, television screens and a twisting pedestrian bridge but the one thing missing from the Wayville station is — people.

Opened on Monday, the $16.5 million Adelaide Showground Train Station is located just a stone’s throw from the existing Keswick station, which the government admits was seriously underused.

Infrastructure Minister Tom Koutsantonis said it would be used by more than 1 million visitors to the showgrounds each year for events and was saving $130,000 a year that was usually spent on a temporary platform for the Royal Adelaide Show.

That means the station would pay for itself within 13 years, not taking into account maintenance work, but Unley councillor Michael Saies thinks it was a waste of money.

Several commuters agree, with some writing on the Noarlunga Commuters Facebook group page “what a waste of time” and “the only person standing at the station was a security guard” but those who work in the area thought the station was a “godsend”.

MODERN: Adelaide’s new electric train heading south, passing through the station. Picture Stephen Laffer

Mr Saies said it would have to be the most substantial station in Adelaide but would only be used by a large number of people for the show and a handful of other major events.

“Of course it’s a nice station and looks really good but I think the expenditure is over the top. It’s a station to nowhere 357 days of the year,” Mr Saies said.

“I just get sick of the spin that goes with these things. We were told by the department that it would be an absolute winner and used so much for functions at the Showground.

“If people seriously want to use trains to get to the Showground they would have got off at Keswick. Someone coming from Salisbury is not going to suddenly catch the train because they can get out right at the door when they wouldn’t have previously because they’d have to get off at Keswick.”

Mr Saies said the money would have been better spend upgrading other stations on the line of used for other community infrastructure such as local sporting clubs.
The transport department’s website lists the benefits of the new station as being a visually appealing and safe station, better access to Ashford Hospital and businesses on Anzac Hwy and improved visibility from the main roads.

It features canopied platforms for both the Belair and the Seaford/Tonsley lines, a new pedestrian footbridge over the rail lines and station platforms, bicycle parking rails and landscaping and urban design features.

Mr Koutsantonis said it was a permanent, state-of-the-art station that would service the more than 4500 people who live and work nearby as well as the more than 1 million visitors to the Showgrounds each year.

“Goodwood Rd is an extremely busy road and by encouraging people to take the train direct to the Showgrounds we can ease congestion and parking issues, particularly during major events,” he said.

“We are also saving $130,000 a year by no longer having to construct and dismantle a temporary platform for the Royal Adelaide Show.”

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6834851171
Can someone please tell the retards at the 'Tiser that the Keswick railway station was demolished months ago.........

EBG

#2372 Post by EBG » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:48 pm

The new Wayville station was operating this morning with Belair and Noarlunga diesel trains operating with audio announcements, visual countdown signs and lifts working. The new walk way is even better than I thought it would be.The end screens at the eastern and western ends have military pictures built into the them . The glass on the walkway is set back from people crossing over helping to protect it from vandals. See it now while its all new.
Attachments
wayville 3.jpg
wayville 3.jpg (185.06 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
wayville 1.jpg
wayville 1.jpg (270.91 KiB) Viewed 4004 times
wayville  2.jpg
wayville 2.jpg (342.37 KiB) Viewed 4004 times

Aidan

#2373 Post by Aidan » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:37 am

PeFe wrote:From the Advertiser
Adelaide’s new $16.5m Wayville rail station will only be used during major events
SLEEK: The modern lines of the new Wayville station. Picture Stephen Laffer Source: News Limited

IT’S Adelaide’s newest train station replete with hi-tech security cameras, television screens and a twisting pedestrian bridge but the one thing missing from the Wayville station is — people.

Opened on Monday, the $16.5 million Adelaide Showground Train Station is located just a stone’s throw from the existing Keswick station, which the government admits was seriously underused.

Infrastructure Minister Tom Koutsantonis said it would be used by more than 1 million visitors to the showgrounds each year for events and was saving $130,000 a year that was usually spent on a temporary platform for the Royal Adelaide Show.

That means the station would pay for itself within 13 years, not taking into account maintenance work, but Unley councillor Michael Saies thinks it was a waste of money...

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 6834851171
Can someone please tell the retards at the 'Tiser that the Keswick railway station was demolished months ago.........
I think the 'Tiser writers know Keswick station was demolished. And they probably know that the decision to replace it with a Showgrounds station was made with no public inout. Their point is that financially it was a bad decision.

But if it only saves $130 000 each year, it wouldn't take 13 years to recoup the $16.5 million... more like 130 years. Either they miscalculated or they made a deliberate mistake hoping readers would attribute it to Tom Koutsantonis. Seriously, I wouldn't put it past them!

But while the financial benefits are dubious, so is the report. The headline's blatantly untrue, and the expectations of those Unley Councillors are overly pessimistic.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

PeFe

#2374 Post by PeFe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:52 am

The Advertiser article can't even get the name of the station right...it is officially called Adelaide Showground, I presume the signs at the station say this, I haven't been there ( and I bet you $100 neither has the Advertiser reporter nor the Unley councillor)
As for the station recouping the cost of the build, it is infrastructure that will be used in its current form probably for the next 150 years. Will the Advertiser print a negative article on the $842 million ( let me just re-emphasize that: eight hundred and forty two million dollars !) Superway when that is officially opened ? I doubt it, roads projects are seen as hugely beneficial, whereas public transport is seen as something for the poor (they should be happy with crappy old buses!)
The area surrounding the Anzac Highway/Richmond Rd intersection is a prime candidate for a good transit orientated development with the Showground Station a 10 minute walk away.
Keswick Station was a piece of crap....it really was the right decision to rebuild close to the Showgrounds.

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2375 Post by jk1237 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:12 am

Aidan wrote: I think the 'Tiser writers know Keswick station was demolished. And they probably know that the decision to replace it with a Showgrounds station was made with no public inout. Their point is that financially it was a bad decision.
FFS, your having a whinge that one of the worst maintained stations in Australia was upgraded to a decent standard (the standard that all new station upgrades in the whole country are having) and that there was no public input. I cant think of any words as to how stupid this sounds, what public consultation was ever required to do an upgrade of a train station.

There was no wheelchair access to the previous station, it was in a silly spot, and the fact that the Keswick army barracks is proposed to be turned into a large med density housing projects, suggests to anyone with common sense that this new station is a welcome upgrade to our rail network, not to mention that it may just slightly be better for show ground users

I reiterate what Pe Fe says, if it was spent on roads then the Liberal Party and News Ltd wouldn't blink an eyelid, well actually they prob would try to find something negative

PeFe

#2376 Post by PeFe » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:49 pm

Another article from the 'Tiser regarding the Seaford line opening........another humdinger of a factual mistake.
First electric train on Seaford line rolls into the Adelaide train station
The first electric passenger train from Seaford pulls into the Adelaide train station. Picture: Lia Harris Source: Supplied

THE first electric passenger train made its debut trip from the new Seaford station this morning, quietly pulling into the Adelaide rail station.

It is the first in a rollout of 22 electric trains expected to be in use on the Seaford line by the end of the year.

Transport Minister Tom Koutsantonis, who was on the train as it pulled in to Adelaide, said it signalled the start of a new and improved form of transport to the south

Coupled with the completion of the Southern Expressway duplication this year, the people of the south will see the government’s unprecedented infrastructure spend, and the inconvenience caused by the upgrades, has been worthwhile,” Mr Koutsantonis said.

“People in the south will benefit from improved travel times to the CBD, decreased congestion, increased amenity and added value to their homes.”

More electric trains will be put into service after they have been tested and commissioned in the coming months.

Weekend and evening services have also resumed as part of the new Seaford timetable.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1226835156994
Yet again the Adelaide Advertiser fails basic journalism standards regarding their transport coverage....the train is leaving Seaford station, not entering Adelaide station as they claim.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#2377 Post by PD2/20 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 2:46 pm

PeFe wrote:Another article from the 'Tiser regarding the Seaford line opening........another humdinger of a factual mistake.
Yet again the Adelaide Advertiser fails basic journalism standards regarding their transport coverage....the train is leaving Seaford station, not entering Adelaide station as they claim.
The train is arriving at Seaford. The bridge is Lynton Terrace at the north end of the station, and the unit is displaying headlights not red taillights. The phrase 'the Adelaide train station' describes Seaford as one of the train stations in the Adelaide area.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2378 Post by Vee » Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:34 pm

Seaford salutes electric trains.
ABC News: video
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-02-23/s ... ns/5278278

Adelaide's new electric trains and the new Seaford line - selection of pics, comments via social media.

http://twitter.com/Twitstannn/status/43 ... 48/photo/1
via @Twitstannn

http://twitter.com/GarnoADL/status/4373 ... 32/photo/1
via @GarnoADL

http://instagram.com/p/kv2YWeEN0G/
via @sjlangs

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#2379 Post by neoballmon » Sun Feb 23, 2014 9:51 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
PeFe wrote:Another article from the 'Tiser regarding the Seaford line opening........another humdinger of a factual mistake.
The train is arriving at Seaford. The bridge is Lynton Terrace at the north end of the station, and the unit is displaying headlights not red taillights. The phrase 'the Adelaide train station' describes Seaford as one of the train stations in the Adelaide area.
I see where you're coming from, but the way it's worded, really just looks like they're saying it rolled into the North Terrace station. That's the impression I got when I first read it as well. "First electric train on Seaford line rolls into Adelaide's newest train station" would have worked much better.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2380 Post by bm7500 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:49 am

I was on the first train yesterday and the A-City train is brilliant. The ride was so quiet and smooth. As a regular weekday commuter on the Gawler line, the new 4000 class train is a quantum leap over the 3000 class. I wont even try to compare it to the 2000 class Jumbo's.

Yesterday's first scheduled electric service from Seaford is the beginning of the end for the 2000 class rattlers.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

[Shuz]

#2381 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:36 am

So exciting! It's finally here, Seaford is open and the electrics are running. It really is a case of seeing it to believe it!
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#2382 Post by fabricator » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:31 pm

bm7500 wrote:I was on the first train yesterday and the A-City train is brilliant. The ride was so quiet and smooth. As a regular weekday commuter on the Gawler line, the new 4000 class train is a quantum leap over the 3000 class. I wont even try to compare it to the 2000 class Jumbo's.

Yesterday's first scheduled electric service from Seaford is the beginning of the end for the 2000 class rattlers.
That all depends on the result of the state election, if the Liberals win Public Transport is screwed. Witness the insane whining about how much new stations and reopening a disused one is costing, and the usual crap about how the money could be better spent on xyz.

Rumours from within the local railcar staff, of the 2000 class getting the cab cut off the top, and a new cab built behind the desto window. They would be treated as fixed 3 car sets, hence only 2 of the 3 cabs need rebuilding, the powercar one can be turned into a wiring closet. This would allow them to operate safely under the overhead wire. For Labor this would be a short term solution to ensure the North get the same frequent service as the south until the overhead is wired up, for the Liberals it would an excuse to do nothing at all.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

ChillyPhilly

#2383 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:11 pm

fabricator wrote:
bm7500 wrote:I was on the first train yesterday and the A-City train is brilliant. The ride was so quiet and smooth. As a regular weekday commuter on the Gawler line, the new 4000 class train is a quantum leap over the 3000 class. I wont even try to compare it to the 2000 class Jumbo's.

That all depends on the result of the state election, if the Liberals win Public Transport is screwed. Witness the insane whining about how much new stations and reopening a disused one is costing, and the usual crap about how the money could be better spent on xyz.

Rumours from within the local railcar staff, of the 2000 class getting the cab cut off the top, and a new cab built behind the desto window. They would be treated as fixed 3 car sets, hence only 2 of the 3 cabs need rebuilding, the powercar one can be turned into a wiring closet. This would allow them to operate safely under the overhead wire. For Labor this would be a short term solution to ensure the North get the same frequent service as the south until the overhead is wired up, for the Liberals it would an excuse to do nothing at all.
Spot on. All a Liberal State Government would do for public transport is, at best, buy a few more buses.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#2384 Post by Vee » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:21 pm

Electrifying opening for the new Seaford line.
Nice set of pics accompanying this item - ABC891.
A new era in public transport has dawned with Adelaide's first electric train departing from the new Seaford station in the city's southern suburbs. It was also the first time paying passengers have travelled on the 5.7 kilometre extension of the Noarlunga line, which will now be known as the Seaford line.

The $291 million dual track from Noarlunga Centre to Seaford includes two new stations with park 'n' ride facilities at Seaford Meadows and Seaford. The project also involved the construction of a 1.2 kilometre elevated rail bridge over the Onkaparinga Valley, a rail storage depot and new bus interchange at Seaford.

Electrification of the entire line has paved the way for the introduction of new A-City Class 4000 trains which will eventually replace the current fleet of diesel railcars.

The three-car electric trains have seating for around 240 passengers and standing room for a further 300 people.
Adelaide Metro has already taken delivery of four complete sets with a further 18 trains to be delivered over the coming year.
http://www.abc.net.au/local/photos/2014 ... 948509.htm

This is a great step forward for modernizing our public transport infrastructure, making it more efficient and providing an appealing alternative for commuters from the south.
Now for the Gawler line to the north - but Vickie Chapman's comments suggest this is not going to happen under the Liberals.
fabricator wrote: That all depends on the result of the state election, if the Liberals win Public Transport is screwed. Witness the insane whining about how much new stations and reopening a disused one is costing, and the usual crap about how the money could be better spent on xyz.
Sadly, it looks like Public Transport will be left to languish under the Libs.
Is there a Liberal policy document out on public transport, infrastructure?

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#2385 Post by fabricator » Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Vee wrote: Sadly, it looks like Public Transport will be left to languish under the Libs.
Is there a Liberal policy document out on public transport, infrastructure?
Yeah, right here.
http://www.vickiechapman.com.au/Portals ... e%20SA.pdf
Not worth the weight in tin of the electrons used to transmit it.

Looks like they plan to do nothing for the first 5 months or so, then some enquiries and planning.
'bout as much use as a chocolate fireman.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.