News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4636 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:49 pm

Thanks for the photos. It's a real shame that they didn't renovate Islington station while they were at it. Pedestrian access is poor and it can be blocked for 10+ minutes while freight trains use the standard gauge line. There should be grade separated exits and good access to Regency Rd bus stops for the 300 bus.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#4637 Post by Haso » Sun Aug 02, 2020 9:22 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 10:49 pm
Thanks for the photos. It's a real shame that they didn't renovate Islington station while they were at it. Pedestrian access is poor and it can be blocked for 10+ minutes while freight trains use the standard gauge line. There should be grade separated exits and good access to Regency Rd bus stops for the 300 bus.
Yes, I was really surprised how it looks and also how poor is access to the station. I am not living there and I rarely visit that area, but now I can see some new houses being built not far from the station. It looks to me that in the near future all area around the station will gradually become more urbanised. On the other hand I am not so much surprised as the government and in particular our previous transport was not interested in the public transport. Let’s hope that the new one will have a bit more understanding.
Today, this station can be on any post card from far less development country.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#4638 Post by Haso » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:34 pm

Yesterday I had a chance to visit ML and went to the station. Not much happening there (no trains, no workers)… only some markings along the line toward the city where they will lay foundation for the masts. Maybe more luck next time...
Two photos taken on Sunday, 2/8/2020

Toward the City

Toward Gawler

Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4639 Post by Eurostar » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 am

Foundations for masts along section between Chidda and Salisbury Oval from what i could see.

I dare say Stage 2 rail subs will be GA1, GA2 and GA4 (GA4 was the express peak service if i recall)

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4640 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:25 am

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 am
Foundations for masts along section between Chidda and Salisbury Oval from what i could see.

I dare say Stage 2 rail subs will be GA1, GA2 and GA4 (GA4 was the express peak service if i recall)
GA1, GA2 and GA3 have been running throughout these closures. GA3 was the express between Adelaide and Salisbury, GA2 was the same but with a stop at Mawson Lakes, and GA1 was all stops.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4641 Post by Eurostar » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:03 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:25 am
Eurostar wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:20 am

GA1, GA2 and GA3 have been running throughout these closures. GA3 was the express between Adelaide and Salisbury, GA2 was the same but with a stop at Mawson Lakes, and GA1 was all stops.
By GA4 i meant the one that ran express between Mawson Lakes and Gawler, i was suggesting when the Salisbury to gawler central is closed that during peak there might possibly be a GA4 running express between Gawler and Salisbury (and vice versa) in peak periods. Gawler Central Station is meant to be altered, with the King Street bridge getting demolished so the poles and wires can go all the way.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4642 Post by Spotto » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:39 pm

http://statements.qld.gov.au/Statement/ ... il-tunnels
Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

Tuesday, August 04, 2020

Tunnel boring machines arrive in Qld to dig Cross River Rail tunnels
Two massive Tunnel Boring Machines (TBMs) have arrived in Queensland to be fitted out and deployed to dig Cross River Rail’s twin tunnels under the river in early 2021.

Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said it was another significant milestone in the progress of this transformational project.

“We know that to continue rebuilding Queensland’s economy, we must forge ahead with job-creating infrastructure like Cross River Rail,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

“Both of these TBMs weigh 1350 tonnes which is about as heavy as four Boeing 747s.

“They are the same machines that dug the Sydney Metro. Now they’ll get a full refit and refurbishment at Herrenknecht’s north-side facility, to prepare them to dig Brisbane’s first underground.

“More than a dozen people have started working on the refit of the Cross River Rail TBMs, and that will increase to up to 35 people during peak activity – local jobs at a local factory.”

“We’re also ready to give the machines new names for their new task.”

The TBMs used to dig Sydney Metro are being repurposed to dig Brisbane's Cross River Rail project. Clever way to get the most out of a multi-million dollar machine.

Over in Melbourne, their TBMs are still digging. Adelaide's proposed Gawler-Seaford link might not be needed in the next 5-10 years but with Melbourne's tunnelling due to be complete within 5 years this might be an opportunity to build it cheaper than it otherwise would be in future. I might get criticised for putting forward a pie-in-the-sky but it would surely be worth finding out whether the machines can be adapted to Adelaide conditions?

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#4643 Post by Furyan » Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:01 pm

In a few years time SA will be the only mainland state without trains going through its CBD. Adelaide will never have an efficient rail system without one.
With the completion of the Gawler electrification next year this will now be possible. The sooner the better I would think.

rubberman

#4644 Post by rubberman » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:26 am

According to this, track laying is starting towards the FMC.

https://twitter.com/NicolleFlint/status ... 21153?s=09

claybro

#4645 Post by claybro » Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm

Furyan wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:01 pm
In a few years time SA will be the only mainland state without trains going through its CBD. Adelaide will never have an efficient rail system without one.
With the completion of the Gawler electrification next year this will now be possible. The sooner the better I would think.
Adelaide is already the last remaining capital without an underground CBD link. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane have had them for decades, and Perth for a decade now. But yes, it is a critical missing link.

Ho Really

#4646 Post by Ho Really » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:35 pm

claybro wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm
Furyan wrote:
Adelaide is already the last remaining capital without an underground CBD link. Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane have had them for decades, and Perth for a decade now. But yes, it is a critical missing link.
Yes it is a critical link, but...it has to be planned and done well, not hurried. It has to be part of an expanded network that looks 20, 30 and 50 years into the future.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

SBD

#4647 Post by SBD » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:49 am

Ho Really wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:35 pm
claybro wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:35 pm
Furyan wrote:
Yes it is a critical link, but...it has to be planned and done well, not hurried. It has to be part of an expanded network that looks 20, 30 and 50 years into the future.

Cheers
I guess it all depends when you start counting from:
  • 1916 mention in the Legislative Council of East-west line
  • 1924 daydream of the future city loop
  • 1930 linking Port Adelaide and Glenelg lines under King William Street
  • 1949 Submission to royal commission, again linking Glenelg to the Outer Harbor and Henley Beach lines as part of their electrification.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#4648 Post by Furyan » Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:29 pm

With newly appointed SA transport minister Corey Wingard promising that in the next 6 months items would be added to the Infrastructure Australia priority list.
Hopefully an underground CBD rail link is one of them.

PeFe

#4649 Post by PeFe » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:07 pm

Furyan wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:29 pm
With newly appointed SA transport minister Corey Wingard promising that in the next 6 months items would be added to the Infrastructure Australia priority list.
Absolutely no chance of an Adelaide underground rail link making an infrastructure list (well not for 20 years anyway)

The only hope for public transport infrastructure is maybe.....just maybe.....a tram extension to North Adelaide
(Because this could be justified under the densification/development/tourism potential )

ChillyPhilly

#4650 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:16 pm

PeFe wrote:
Furyan wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 2:29 pm
Absolutely no chance of an Adelaide underground rail link making an infrastructure list (well not for 20 years anyway)

The only hope for public transport infrastructure is maybe.....just maybe.....a tram extension to North Adelaide
(Because this could be justified under the densification/development/tourism potential )
I'd call anyone saying this a pessimist, but we know it's true.

Corey knows just as much about public transport as Knoll does.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.