News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4966 Post by Eurostar » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:56 am

adelaide transport wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:39 am
It would appear that come November this year(if all the work is completed as promised) there will only be 2 electric train sets available for day to day operation. The rest will not be delivered until various times in 2022.
I think most commuters just want a train service back on the Gawler Central Line including myself, the majority just want a fast service rather than a slow bus service they won't be bothered whether its a diesel railcar or electric set.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4967 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 11:23 am

Eurostar wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:56 am
adelaide transport wrote:
Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:39 am
It would appear that come November this year(if all the work is completed as promised) there will only be 2 electric train sets available for day to day operation. The rest will not be delivered until various times in 2022.
I think most commuters just want a train service back on the Gawler Central Line including myself, the majority just want a fast service rather than a slow bus service they won't be bothered whether its a diesel railcar or electric set.
Im not gonna lie. I agree with you. Just want the Gawler line back open and able to catch the train again. Im a uni student so travelling to uni at Mawson lakes is a need for me. I want to see an electric on there cos I prefer electrics over the diesels. Even so I still miss seeing a commuter train used for passenger services not services towing to dry creek.

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#4968 Post by Joelmark » Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:19 am

When train services resume on the Gawler line they will probably be a mixture of diesel and electric. Remember when the electricification work on the Gawler and Outer Harbor lines was suspended in 2012 the government of the day allegedly attempted to amend the train procurement contract to reduce the number of EMUs purchased. I’m guessing that there is still a surplus of EMU stock after Seaford and Flinders services have been fulfilled. Whether timetable changes in recent years have affected that, I’m unsure. Others on here may know.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4969 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:13 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:19 am
When train services resume on the Gawler line they will probably be a mixture of diesel and electric. Remember when the electricification work on the Gawler and Outer Harbor lines was suspended in 2012 the government of the day allegedly attempted to amend the train procurement contract to reduce the number of EMUs purchased. I’m guessing that there is still a surplus of EMU stock after Seaford and Flinders services have been fulfilled. Whether timetable changes in recent years have affected that, I’m unsure. Others on here may know.
Originally when the electrification started on the Seaford Line and was supposed to electrify the Gawler Line. 22 Sets were purchased. Out of those 22 sets 17 of them were for the Seaford and the then Tonsley, now Flinders line. 5 were then for the Gawler Line. So in fairness if 2 of the 12 new sets purchased for GREP are entering in service this year, that would mean 7 sets are available for the Gawler Line if we count the 5 purchased for the line back in 2013.

Here is a nine news report covering the electric train scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDh0CPUM7Ak

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4970 Post by Spotto » Tue Apr 20, 2021 3:55 pm

Just hoped on a Seaford train at ARS, quite strange seeing only one train in the station at that moment (no Belair and Flinders trains were idling) and having all but one platform devoid of any people.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#4971 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Apr 20, 2021 6:05 pm

Spotto wrote:Just hoped on a Seaford train at ARS, quite strange seeing only one train in the station at that moment (no Belair and Flinders trains were idling) and having all but one platform devoid of any people.
Major signal faults to blame.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

ChillyPhilly

#4972 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:38 pm

A quick couple snaps of work.

ChillyPhilly

#4973 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:00 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Joelmark wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:19 am
Originally when the electrification started on the Seaford Line and was supposed to electrify the Gawler Line. 22 Sets were purchased. Out of those 22 sets 17 of them were for the Seaford and the then Tonsley, now Flinders line. 5 were then for the Gawler Line. So in fairness if 2 of the 12 new sets purchased for GREP are entering in service this year, that would mean 7 sets are available for the Gawler Line if we count the 5 purchased for the line back in 2013.

Here is a nine news report covering the electric train scenario.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDh0CPUM7Ak
I've just seen that WA will build 246 of its own metro trains.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4974 Post by Spotto » Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:05 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:00 pm
I've just seen that WA will build 246 of its own metro trains.
246 carriages, the actual number of trains will be 41 six-car sets. Plus 2 three-car diesel sets of identical design (different seating layout likely).

omada
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4975 Post by omada » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:56 pm

Hi All,

In light of the issues with commute times to Mount Barker via the freeway and the extension discussions on this thread concerning the resurrection of the train to Stirling and Mount Barker. Does anyone know how long this journey used to take before scrapped? And if improved rolling stock can improve those times ? (Or is the real limiting factor the line itself).

Sorry to flog a dead horse, but just curious, although the current route is slow, worsening commute times via the freeway , could see this become viable.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4976 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:24 am

omada wrote:
Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:56 pm
Hi All,

In light of the issues with commute times to Mount Barker via the freeway and the extension discussions on this thread concerning the resurrection of the train to Stirling and Mount Barker. Does anyone know how long this journey used to take before scrapped? And if improved rolling stock can improve those times ? (Or is the real limiting factor the line itself).

Sorry to flog a dead horse, but just curious, although the current route is slow, worsening commute times via the freeway , could see this become viable.
Trains haven't run to Mount Barker for decades. The line was cut back to Bridgewater in 1984 and then Belair in 1987.

I found the timetable below which shows a travel time of about 1 hour and 28 minutes to Adelaide, and 1 hour 35 minutes to Mount Barker. I'm not sure what date this timetable is from, so that could be either a steam or diesel service.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#4977 Post by Bob » Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:51 am

Norman wrote:
Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:24 am
omada wrote:
Hi All,

Trains haven't run to Mount Barker for decades. The line was cut back to Bridgewater in 1984 and then Belair in 1987.

I found the timetable below which shows a travel time of about 1 hour and 28 minutes to Adelaide, and 1 hour 35 minutes to Mount Barker. I'm not sure what date this timetable is from, so that could be either a steam or diesel service.

That time table looks like post war - maybe 1950's, Mt Barker refreshment room closed in the 1960's so before that, probably scheduled for rail car but steam or diesel loco could have substituted on some days on the same schedule, which was common with the SAR in that era on main lines.

Having said that I do recall the Bluebird Rail Car service in the 1980's still taking 3+ hours from ARS to Victor Harbor and my recollection Mt Barker was still about half that time, so 1½ hours from ARS to Mt Barker was still likely, at the same time the suburban train all stops to Bridgewater used to about 1 hour 5 or 10 minutes from memory,

SBD

#4978 Post by SBD » Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:12 am

omada wrote:
Hi All,

The new 1971 timetable to Victor Harbor had the train depart Adelaide at 5:45pm and arrive at Victor Harbor 8:41pm but the article I found did not give the Mount Barker time. The final train on the route was in 1984.

PeFe

#4979 Post by PeFe » Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:21 pm

Latest video from SA Infrastrucure and Transport re electrical works in the Adelaide rail yard

https://www.facebook.com/DFITSA/videos/798401817722248/

VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4980 Post by VLtom » Tue Apr 27, 2021 5:50 pm

photos from the Adelaide rail yards today, seems they've gotten a lot done, but no wires strung

https://imgur.com/gallery/mW1MUmB