News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5056 Post by ginzahikari » Sun May 23, 2021 11:07 pm

Norman wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 5:07 pm
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat May 22, 2021 9:25 am
What I don't see is any form of positive promotion of the benefits of using public transport. It should be advertised on TV, on the radio, out in the public and more. Imagine being able to utilise a cost savings calculator to show the environmental, economic, social and time benefits of ditching the car for a bus or train.
They used to have exactly what you just talked about... A calculator and ad campaign claiming you can save up to $10,000 per year by catching public transport. That was 20 years ago... Not sure why they can't implement this now?
You can refer to this article which shows a correlation between patronage and the overhaul of the Adelaide Metro branding in the early 2000s. The branding renewal was surprisingly wide in scope and didn't cost much, wonder why it isn't feasible to do something similar now...
https://www.australasiantransportresear ... ejohns.pdf

rubberman
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5057 Post by rubberman » Mon May 24, 2021 4:28 pm

I don't pretend to know what the Government has in mind as far as promotion is concerned, but there's certainly an argument for waiting till the Gawler line is finished before major action.

I can well see that promoting travel now, might get some people to try. However, if that meant travelling to Adelaide from Gawler by bus, I can see those people being lost forever after they tried it once. Whereas, once the electrics are running (and hopefully a faster timetable), they might ride regularly.

Also, a lot of people are still very wary of public transport because of Covid-19. Again, it makes sense to wait until people are vaccinated and feel confident travelling by public transport.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5058 Post by Spotto » Thu May 27, 2021 10:41 am

On the subject of the ARS renewal, I had a chance to properly stand and look instead of just passing through and I’ve got some nitpicks.
  • The new northern entrance is nice but it isn’t anything special either. It’s “ok”. The exterior archway really needs a sign above it that says “to Adelaide Railway Station” (maybe that’ll come when the project is finished?)
  • It’s disappointing that the ceiling in the new northern entrance obscures the heritage entry way until you’re literally passing under it. It would’ve been nice if the curved ceiling in the new section was raised a bit more or shaped to be more open as it approaches the old facade so you can see it from further back in the new section (not the entire wall, but the square “RAILWAY STATION” archway that is currently exposed).
  • The new glass panel entry door and new windows and frames next to the North Terrace lift look fantastic and carry over some nice details from the period windows in the concourse. However, they should’ve been coloured the same dark brown that the concourse and exterior windows are. The black looks nice but it’s too disconnected from what is already there and makes the doors a bit too “modern” and an obvious new addition.
I’m not trying to trash on what’s been done because it’s wonderful to see ARS getting a bit of love. But some of these details would’ve really been the cherry on top of a much deserved renewal.
Last edited by Spotto on Fri May 28, 2021 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#5059 Post by baytram366 » Fri May 28, 2021 10:51 am

Agree with those comments too especially the lack of any signage on the new northern entry, which to me also looks very dull from the outside and needs something to lift it. Perhaps some nice lit up signage for the station would assist here. Speaking about lit up signage, I am hoping that the old Seppelts signage in the station concourse is turned back on after all this too. Seems a waste to have kept it and not use it. Also, some more advertising / signage would look nice in the concourse i think once all the other business's open. Maybe some more neon signs like there used to be in the 1960's / 70's???
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#5060 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon May 31, 2021 9:52 am

New doors are open and the ramp entrance is closed:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#5061 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:23 pm

It's over a month now since the school holiday closure saw the electrification work take place in the Adelaide yard and ARS. Since then activity has resumed further north. Overhead stringing is now complete from Park Terrace, Ovingham to just S of Chidda. Stringing of Chidda to S of Salisbury was underway today. Mast erection is almost complete to S of Elizabeth. Concrete masts have also been erected N of Anderson Walk to fill one of the gaps left in the 2012 works. Rail related equipment has been in installed in the SW corner of the Kilburn substation and cable works linking this to the overhead seem to be under way. Signalling work continues with AWS, balises and axle counters appearing in the Parafield and Salisbury areas. No new signals have yet been commisioned. Foundations are in place for a new signal gantry to replace the existing gantry at the N end of Salisbury Stn.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5062 Post by Spotto » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:21 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon May 31, 2021 9:52 am
Look at the beautiful standstone colour used on the ceiling above the entry which fits the character of the building and blends nicely with the exterior render colour... then look at the stark bright white used on the pressed tin ceiling along the rest of the North Terrace frontage.

I know the painting was done when the last exterior renewal happened, but one of these things is not like the other... :lol:

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#5063 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Thu Jun 03, 2021 12:35 am

PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:23 pm
It's over a month now since the school holiday closure saw the electrification work take place in the Adelaide yard and ARS. Since then activity has resumed further north. Overhead stringing is now complete from Park Terrace, Ovingham to just S of Chidda. Stringing of Chidda to S of Salisbury was underway today. Mast erection is almost complete to S of Elizabeth. Concrete masts have also been erected N of Anderson Walk to fill one of the gaps left in the 2012 works. Rail related equipment has been in installed in the SW corner of the Kilburn substation and cable works linking this to the overhead seem to be under way. Signalling work continues with AWS, balises and axle counters appearing in the Parafield and Salisbury areas. No new signals have yet been commisioned. Foundations are in place for a new signal gantry to replace the existing gantry at the N end of Salisbury Stn.
Thats true. I went out to Elizabeth Station and found out that the elizabeth turnback track is being electrified and did see what looked liked some trucks working on the rail line. I do believe that it could still be possible that the turnback track could soon be connected after so many years of not being connected to the main line. I do have some photos of both ends of elizabeth station and how they have erected the steel masts between Womma and Elizabeth.
Attachments
20210602_125857.jpg
20210602_125510.jpg
20210602_123525.jpg

PeFe

#5064 Post by PeFe » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:29 pm

SA government announce commitment to refurbish rundown Adelaide train stations.

Hopefully this is across the entire network and not just the Seaford line (where the marginal seats are)

https://www.facebook.com/LiberalSA/vide ... 4490279808

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5065 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:59 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:29 pm
SA government announce commitment to refurbish rundown Adelaide train stations.

Hopefully this is across the entire network and not just the Seaford line (where the marginal seats are)

https://www.facebook.com/LiberalSA/vide ... 4490279808
The clip description includes a reference to 15 stations on the Gawler Line.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5066 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:39 pm

OK, here is the news. Thank GOD Ovingham is getting an upgrade, it would have been so embarrassing spending all this money on the Torrens Road overpass and leaving Ovingham Station as it is.

Also good to see Ethelton on that list, it looks like an embarrassment when you consider how much investment has been put in at New Port.

I don't get the jabs being thrown at Labor though. They are the ones who rebuilt the entire network and built stations such as Mawson Lakes, Adelaide Showgrounds and rebuilt many stations such as Elizabeth, Munno Para, Port Adelaide, Oaklands (twice in fact) and extended the line to Seaford and Flinders.

Besides, rail patronage increased during their period in office, the decline has only been more recent during the pandemic.
Railway stations across Adelaide in line for much-needed makeovers
09/06/2021 | Steven Marshall MP | Corey Wingard MP | Better Services

Railway stations right across metropolitan Adelaide are set to receive much-needed makeovers as part of a $111 million commitment (over 10 years) from the Marshall Liberal Government in the 2021-22 State Budget ($66.4 million over the forward estimates).

Fifteen stations along the Gawler Line, as well as other stations across the network, will be upgraded providing a more enjoyable and safer journey for Adelaide train commuters and supporting 110 full time jobs at construction peak.

Premier Steven Marshall said the funding will help to encourage more people to leave their cars at home and catch public transport.

“We saw, under the former Labor government, public transport patronage dwindle to embarrassingly low levels,” Premier Marshall said.

“My government is getting on with delivering not only the long-awaited and much-anticipated electrification of the Gawler Line, but also desperately needed upgrades to our rail infrastructure.

“We know that if we can get more people onto our buses and trains it will help to ease traffic congestion on our roads and reduce the impacts on the environment.

“Our Budget for a stronger South Australia is creating jobs, building what matters and delivering better services to further secure our state’s growing global reputation as one of the safest and most attractive places in the world to live, work and raise a family.”

Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Corey Wingard, said the upgrade works will include new shelters, seating and bins, lighting upgrades, painting and landscaping.

“The stations on our train network were left to go to wrack and ruin under the former Labor government which no doubt had an impact on the number of South Australians using public transport,” Minister Wingard said.

“This investment in a Station Refresh program will complement the extensive cleaning blitz the new rail operator Keolis Downer has undertaken across the network.

“The Marshall Liberal Government was elected to deliver better services and that is why we’re investing in our public transport network - to deliver better and more frequent train services.”

Stations to be upgraded between 2021 and 2025 include:
  • 14 stations along the Gawler Line ($20 million 50:50 with the Commonwealth Government)
  • Ovingham Railway Station ($10 million) (also on the Gawler Line but funded separately)
  • Woodlands Railway Station ($1.5 million)
  • Ethelton Railway Station ($5 million)
  • Adelaide Railway Station ($6.4 million)
  • Goodwood Railway Station ($5 million)
Source: https://www.premier.sa.gov.au/news/medi ... -makeovers

PeFe

#5067 Post by PeFe » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:59 pm

Ethelton?.....Why even bother with this station! Why not rebuild Glanville a little further south and "delete" Ethelton.

Yes folks some sort of "master plan" is needed for each line but will we get one, I doubt it..vision is something that doesn't come naturally for South Australian governments when it comes to public transport.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5068 Post by Norman » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 pm

PeFe wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:59 pm
Ethelton?.....Why even bother with this station! Why not rebuild Glanville a little further south and "delete" Ethelton.

Yes folks some sort of "master plan" is needed for each line but will we get one, I doubt it..vision is something that doesn't come naturally for South Australian governments when it comes to public transport.
The stations listed are included in the first 5 years of the project, so I guess further stations will be announced in the future? Hopefully that will include Glanville.

And why delete Ethelton? It serves a community and does have a decent level of patronage.

[Shuz]

#5069 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:22 pm

Compared to the cost of station upgrades over on the East Coast, the price tags on these seem embarrassingly small. I sincerely hope they're not just putting in bus stop shelters and new asphalt.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Honey of a City
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Train

#5070 Post by Honey of a City » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:03 pm

Norman wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:14 pm
PeFe wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:59 pm

The stations listed are included in the first 5 years of the project, so I guess further stations will be announced in the future? Hopefully that will include Glanville.

And why delete Ethelton? It serves a community and does have a decent level of patronage.

Glanville is currently a windswept in winter and baking hot in summer wasteland with a pathetically small and inadequate antiquated bus shelter on its platform plus an abandoned bus interchange and the massive Fletcher’s Slip development underway within metres. Why is it not a priority? The Premier’s effusive press announcement today listed Ethelton repeatedly as a counter to the press questioning that the selection of the location of the announcement was political. The reality is that Ethelton will be much cheaper to renovate but the patronage will not increase as a result. Glanville is the nearest station to poorly serviced Semaphore as well as the new development and should absolutely have first priority.