News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#5146 Post by SRW » Wed Sep 08, 2021 7:28 pm

Commit to electrifying Outer Harbor now. We should also be aiming to convert the bus fleet to fully electric by 2030 - aside our emissions reduction goals, just imagine how much more pleasant city streets will be without noisy and noxious diesel buses.
Keep Adelaide Weird

cmet
High Rise Poster!

#5147 Post by cmet » Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:02 am

SRW wrote:Commit to electrifying Outer Harbor now. We should also be aiming to convert the bus fleet to fully electric by 2030 - aside our emissions reduction goals, just imagine how much more pleasant city streets will be without noisy and noxious diesel buses.
I’m very curious on how they would electrify the section that goes through Royal Adelaide Golf Club. This would be a nightmare for so many reasons.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5148 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:19 am

cmet wrote:
SRW wrote:Commit to electrifying Outer Harbor now. We should also be aiming to convert the bus fleet to fully electric by 2030 - aside our emissions reduction goals, just imagine how much more pleasant city streets will be without noisy and noxious diesel buses.
I’m very curious on how they would electrify the section that goes through Royal Adelaide Golf Club. This would be a nightmare for so many reasons.
Agreed about electrifying the OH and Grange lines. I do wonder if it is still possible (somehow) to do the Belair line with upgrades to the tunnels.

The golf course can suffer it - literally build a wide bridge and get over it.

This belongs in Visions, but it'd be great to see the Grange line given more purpose by being extended into a western suburbs loop, with stops at Henley Beach, West Beach, Harbour Town and Adelaide Airport before continuing onward to the CBD.

Spotto wrote:
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 8:53 pm
Spotto wrote:
Fri Sep 03, 2021 9:55 pm
What future problems are you envisioning? What benefit would standardisation have other than a purely cosmetic harmonizing of rail gauges across systems?
Belair can be double track with standardisation and interstate trains could use ARS. It gives Adelaide Metro more options when buying rolling stock.
Please re-read the very first point I made in my response:
Currently, AdMet and ARTC own their own tracks and can run whatever services at whatever frequencies they want without having to worry about mixing trains. A freight breakdown isn't going to halt passenger services, and vice versa. Even if the AdMet network was standardised, freight and passenger trains on the Belair and Gawler Lines would continue to run on their own tracks.
Take Sydney, ARTC runs an exclusive freight corridor parallel to several sections of the Sydney Trains passenger network. All lines in Sydney are SG, but wherever there's separate tracks the trains don't mix, ARTC stick to their own tracks. I'm willing to bet that even if standardisation were to happen in Adelaide, the tracks would remain separate and the Belair Line and ARTC line would remain single track. Keeping the lines fully separate is much easier than arranging AdMet and ARTC to cooperate in scheduling services.
The issue with the ARTC line in Adelaide is the significant barrier it presents to accessing and upgrading metropolitan services. Adelaide and beyond really need a grade separation program like Melbourne, which can remove this barrier in many places and open new opportunities (such as Spains Road/Frost Road at Chidda).

Take the stretch between North Adelaide and Islington, and also Mawson Lakes to Salisbury - it's pretty poor.

I'm still supportive of the ultimate idea of building a new freight line that enters and leaves Adelaide from the north - a bit like the Libs' GlobeLink, in which the rail component was the only good aspect.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5149 Post by VLtom » Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:51 am

Adelaide Metro have done essentially a blog post about their current 'green transport' initiatives, most importantly from this is the new EMU sets will enter service in early 2022 and half the 3000 class fleet will be retired/mothballed as a result leaving only 45 trains equipped with hybrid energy systems.

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about- ... _transport

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#5150 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:38 am

cmet wrote:
Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:02 am
The members can have a whiparound and pay for a tunnel, such a show of good community spirit will save them a bunch of annual lobbying money they spend trying to get the line closed, and I bet the government could even be convinced to pay for a Seaton Park trench station and a trench out the southern end under Frederick out of good will.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#5151 Post by Goodsy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:38 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:38 am
cmet wrote:
The members can have a whiparound and pay for a tunnel, such a show of good community spirit will save them a bunch of annual lobbying money they spend trying to get the line closed, and I bet the government could even be convinced to pay for a Seaton Park trench station and a trench out the southern end under Frederick out of good will.
How about, buy the golf course and turn it into a TOD..

Is Golf really that popular that it needs to take up as much space as it does

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#5152 Post by AndyWelsh » Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:07 pm

Line closure around the railway station over the new few weekends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#5153 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:14 pm

Are the closures due to work in Adelaide Yard? If so, they should electrify that part of Outer Harbor so they don't have to shut the whole thing down again when they electrify Outer Harbor. I'm not betting on it...

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5154 Post by Spotto » Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:22 pm

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 8:14 pm
Are the closures due to work in Adelaide Yard? If so, they should electrify that part of Outer Harbor so they don't have to shut the whole thing down again when they electrify Outer Harbor. I'm not betting on it...
Yes, they are. And yes, they are.

Once the Gawler electrification is completed, the whole of Adelaide Yard will have been electrified and the Outer Harbor tracks up until somewhere south of the Torrens Bridge where the track points are.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5155 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Sep 21, 2021 6:22 pm

Goodsy wrote:
NTRabbit wrote:
Wed Sep 15, 2021 12:38 am
cmet wrote:
How about, buy the golf course and turn it into a TOD..

Is Golf really that popular that it needs to take up as much space as it does
The area surrounding Seaton Park station has strong potential for a walkable TOD precinct.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#5156 Post by I Follow PAFC » Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:21 pm

EXCLUSIVE: A dozen brand new electric trains set to be rolled out across the network have begun to arrive in Adelaide.
https://fb.watch/8ei1Mf833A/
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5157 Post by Spotto » Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:53 pm

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:21 pm
EXCLUSIVE: A dozen brand new electric trains set to be rolled out across the network have begun to arrive in Adelaide.
https://fb.watch/8ei1Mf833A/
No question that these trains are a massive step up from the diesels that used to run on the Gawler line, but it's quite entertaining to watch them describe the "features" on these trains... "Infared cameras to prevent graffiti", nope they're there for the driver to monitor the platforms. "These ones are also red and blue", wow!

An interesting sight to see one of the trains without any interior furnishings though.

western
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5158 Post by western » Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:13 pm

Only two car trains? The last lot were three. The cars don't look much different in size. Is this due to finances?

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS ARE GREATER CITY SKYLINE

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5159 Post by Spotto » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:04 pm

western wrote:
Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:13 pm
Only two car trains? The last lot were three. The cars don't look much different in size. Is this due to finances?
Looks like they’ve just temporarily coupled two driving cars together for sake of the press event, the DPTI website says that the completed trains will be three cars long:

acquisition of 12 additional three-car electric trains (introduced in stages following completion of the electrification works)

western
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5160 Post by western » Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:20 pm

That makes more sense...especially considering the patronage of the line.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE