News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4891 Post by Waewick » Thu Mar 04, 2021 6:44 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:Apparently enforcement has stepped up significantly on ticket/Metrocard validation.

Keolis Downer struggling already?
That's good news though, people should pay for the service they use.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4892 Post by PD2/20 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:27 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:26 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:27 pm

Yesterday the visible activity was creation of mast foundations E of Torrens Bridge beside the Port tracks. This suggests Port tracks will be electrified to Torrens Bri. Mast foundations on the Gawler side went in last year. The northern sidings access was put in in 2017 but has remained out of use ever since! Trains crossing fromom the Gawler tracks to Port tracks generally use crossovers at RAH but some use the Gaol crossovers.
This year has seen considerable electrification progress. Mast foundations have been completed recently at Dry Creek and Mawson I/C and the current overnight works should complete this phase of works S of Salisbury. Last month sections at Kilburn and Dry Creek North have been strung. There also signs of 25kV feeder works at Kilburn substation.
Theres even been some stringing done between Port wakefield road and Mawson I/C as well. I reckon part of the OH line closure also involves stringing the OHW from Torrens Overpass section to North Adelaide. Theres even work done out to Elizabeth I/C as well. Maybe even further i dont know. What i do know is they have kept the existing masts and havent replaced those ones. I don't know if thats part of the plan but I could be wrong.
The stringing you refer to from Port Wakefield Rd towards Mawson I/C is what I termed Dry Creek North as it is adjacent to the southern part of the yard of that name. The Kilburn section stetches between the former station locations of Islington Works and Tube Mills.

Masts have been erected this week around Dry Station and I would expect the remaining masts at Mawson I/C to be be installed shortly. Stringing out to Parafield looks imminent.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4893 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:46 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:27 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:26 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:27 pm

Yesterday the visible activity was creation of mast foundations E of Torrens Bridge beside the Port tracks. This suggests Port tracks will be electrified to Torrens Bri. Mast foundations on the Gawler side went in last year. The northern sidings access was put in in 2017 but has remained out of use ever since! Trains crossing fromom the Gawler tracks to Port tracks generally use crossovers at RAH but some use the Gaol crossovers.
This year has seen considerable electrification progress. Mast foundations have been completed recently at Dry Creek and Mawson I/C and the current overnight works should complete this phase of works S of Salisbury. Last month sections at Kilburn and Dry Creek North have been strung. There also signs of 25kV feeder works at Kilburn substation.
Theres even been some stringing done between Port wakefield road and Mawson I/C as well. I reckon part of the OH line closure also involves stringing the OHW from Torrens Overpass section to North Adelaide. Theres even work done out to Elizabeth I/C as well. Maybe even further i dont know. What i do know is they have kept the existing masts and havent replaced those ones. I don't know if thats part of the plan but I could be wrong.
The stringing you refer to from Port Wakefield Rd towards Mawson I/C is what I termed Dry Creek North as it is adjacent to the southern part of the yard of that name. The Kilburn section stetches between the former station locations of Islington Works and Tube Mills.

Masts have been erected this week around Dry Station and I would expect the remaining masts at Mawson I/C to be be installed shortly. Stringing out to Parafield looks imminent.

Ah right on. I was thinking of north of the dry creek railway station. All good.

I was out at Mawson I/C today and I took a picture of the masts looking south from the platform. I also took note of the fact that no hanging structures aren't even up at Mawson I/C or a cantilever structure that is supposed to be in position or a foundation for the signal at the end of the Gawler bound platform.

I also took some extra snaps as well on the GA1 back to town.
Attachments
20210304_150539.jpg
20210304_183538.jpg
20210304_183839.jpg

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4894 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:35 pm

Jacob_ULG3 wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:46 pm

I was out at Mawson I/C today and I took a picture of the masts looking south from the platform. I also took note of the fact that no hanging structures aren't even up at Mawson I/C or a cantilever structure that is supposed to be in position or a foundation for the signal at the end of the Gawler bound platform.

I had been wondering how the overhead was going to be accomodated at Mawson I/C. Last week I noticed activity behind the Salisbury platform and the ARTC through siding. On investigation I saw that mast foundations were being excavated and poured. Here is a picture from Wednesday at the top of the Salisbury platform stairs that shows 3 completed foundations. They are unusual in that there are 12 anchor bolts instead of 4, 6, or 8. There are only two other locations on the project where I have seen similar foundations. One is at the S end of Parafield Gdns and the other is just N of Torrens Jn. In both cases they support L-cantilever masts with extended crossbeams which have a diagonal bracing member. Thus I suspect at Mawson I/C the masts will cantilever over the platform canopy and both DIT tracks.
Mawson Interchange Mast Foundations - 2021-03-03.JPG
You wondered in a previous post about what was happening N of Salisbury towards Elizabeth. I had a look this afternoon and saw that at the N end of Elizabeth South that work has started on erecting masts. The interesting feature is that concrete masts are being used. There has been a supply of concrete masts lying in the electrification work compound on Churchill Rd N since the early works on the Gawler stopped in 2012/3.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4895 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Sun Mar 07, 2021 12:34 am

PD2/20 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:35 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:

I had been wondering how the overhead was going to be accomodated at Mawson I/C. Last week I noticed activity behind the Salisbury platform and the ARTC through siding. On investigation I saw that mast foundations were being excavated and poured. Here is a picture from Wednesday at the top of the Salisbury platform stairs that shows 3 completed foundations. They are unusual in that there are 12 anchor bolts instead of 4, 6, or 8. There are only two other locations on the project where I have seen similar foundations. One is at the S end of Parafield Gdns and the other is just N of Torrens Jn. In both cases they support L-cantilever masts with extended crossbeams which have a diagonal bracing member. Thus I suspect at Mawson I/C the masts will cantilever over the platform canopy and both DIT tracks.

You wondered in a previous post about what was happening N of Salisbury towards Elizabeth. I had a look this afternoon and saw that at the N end of Elizabeth South that work has started on erecting masts. The interesting feature is that concrete masts are being used. There has been a supply of concrete masts lying in the electrification work compound on Churchill Rd N since the early works on the Gawler stopped in 2012/3.
Thanks for the picture mate. That's actually pretty interesting. Your right the other mast foundations and stuff are normally 4, 6 or 8 bolts. But what I believe is going to happen and this is probably part of the reason why there is 12 bolts in the mast foundations at Mawson I/C. Is because they are erecting a twin track cantilever that is tall enough to reach over the wall. It would be a similar approach to what oaklands used to look like and how the pantograph was very high up for it to reach the wire. Thats my theory for there. Whereas Salisbury and smithfield would be exactly like north Adelaide and islington how one twin track covers both tracks.

[Shuz]

#4896 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:36 am

So basically even the platform shelters of Mawson Interchange wasn't built with electrification in mind...

Short term thinking much. Its just going to look ridiculously silly having massive gantries over the station. Not to mention, the way they're doing it, the station will never be able to be fully enclosed, which again is a pretty short term view to have, given that being a major interchange, it should offer a better level of protection from the weather elements than what currently exists.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4897 Post by rev » Sun Mar 07, 2021 10:59 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:36 am
So basically even the platform shelters of Mawson Interchange wasn't built with electrification in mind...

Short term thinking much. Its just going to look ridiculously silly having massive gantries over the station. Not to mention, the way they're doing it, the station will never be able to be fully enclosed, which again is a pretty short term view to have, given that being a major interchange, it should offer a better level of protection from the weather elements than what currently exists.
Come on Shuz, you're a native to this state yeh? You shouldn't at all be surprised.

They're just thinking of how to employ people down the track in 30 years when they decide to do some more upgrades. They'll sell it as "creating jobs growing the economy" or whatever bullshit they say.

And you know in a few decades time when they decide to address the issue, all that will be done will be a big over priced, cheap looking canopy will be installed. Kind of like Memorial Drive. In fact, I wouldn't at all be surprised if they re-purposed it, and they try play the "environmentally friendly" card to win some green votes.

Jacob_ULG3
Gold-Member ;)

#4898 Post by Jacob_ULG3 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 3:58 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:35 pm
Jacob_ULG3 wrote:

Turns out it's true. They are doing a structure high enough that they need another beam to hold the balance. The structure is almost similar to the three track cantilever at goodwood with that Junction.
Attachments
20210311_152816.jpg
20210311_152715.jpg

ChillyPhilly

#4899 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:11 pm

Very tacked on. We really need a masterplan for an overhaul of railway stations.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

metro
Legendary Member!

#4900 Post by metro » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:15 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 5:11 pm
Very tacked on. We really need a masterplan for an overhaul of railway stations.
The platforms at Mawson Lakes are also too short for a 6 car train, so they might eventually have to tack on some extra platform. :lol:

ChillyPhilly

#4901 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:12 pm

metro wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
The platforms at Mawson Lakes are also too short for a 6 car train, so they might eventually have to tack on some extra platform. Image
Nice!
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SBD

#4902 Post by SBD » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:55 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:12 pm
metro wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
The platforms at Mawson Lakes are also too short for a 6 car train, so they might eventually have to tack on some extra platform. Image
Nice!
Which stations on the Gawler line have long enough platforms to support 6 carriage 4000-class EMU sets? Is it only ML that was built "too short"?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4903 Post by Eurostar » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:27 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:55 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
metro wrote:
Nice!
Which stations on the Gawler line have long enough platforms to support 6 carriage 4000-class EMU sets? Is it only ML that was built "too short"?
I imagine some of the older stations are just long enough for 6 cars including Dry Creek, Salisbury, Smithfield and Gawler ?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4904 Post by Spotto » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:57 am

SBD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:55 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
metro wrote:
Nice!
51cxeh.jpg

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4905 Post by rev » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:07 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:40 pm
Apparently enforcement has stepped up significantly on ticket/Metrocard validation.

Keolis Downer struggling already?
They'll crack down because it's lost revenue. It's all about the $$$$. Even if they return record profits, they'll still crack down because that means even more money coming in.
They're not a government, they're in it to make money, to turn a profit and return a dividend to their share holders.
The government just wastes tax payers money without thinking.