News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

#4321 Post by PeFe » Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:41 am
Spotto wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:36 pm
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 10:45 am
Adelaide metro are starting to cut the number of carriages on some of the Outer Harbor trains.
Haven’t they been doing that for a while already?
Every time I have seen a train been two and that is at night too after the virus start but
yesterday seen some with one and all trains after about 6 pm.
I am pretty sure that before the night frequency of the Outer Harbor line was changed to every 30 minutes, one carriage was usual when trains were once an hour.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#4322 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:27 pm

PeFe wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 10:33 am
I Follow PAFC wrote:
Tue Apr 21, 2020 8:41 am
Spotto wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 9:36 pm

Haven’t they been doing that for a while already?
Every time I have seen a train been two and that is at night too after the virus start but
yesterday seen some with one and all trains after about 6 pm.
I am pretty sure that before the night frequency of the Outer Harbor line was changed to every 30 minutes, one carriage was usual when trains were once an hour.

I can see a station from my house on the OH line. All trains for the last 5 or 6 weeks been 2 carriages.
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

claybro

#4323 Post by claybro » Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:08 am

I recall when living in the western suburbs of Adelaide, one car trains were often the case on the OH line, particularly in the old "red hen" days. The 2000 series could not run single, but from memory some of the 3000' were duel cab? So could run single. It would not surprise me if they are running single during this time. I can confirm Transperth are now running on all Saturday timetables throughout the week, and trains which were always 4 or 6 car sets are now reduced to 2 or 3 cars at certain times, such is the reduction of passengers.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4324 Post by Spotto » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:20 am

claybro wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:08 am
The 2000 series could not run single, but from memory some of the 3000' were duel cab?
Correct. It’s roughly a 50/50 split between 3000s with dual cabs and 3100s with single cabs (usually coupled in pairs).

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4325 Post by PD2/20 » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:52 am

One factor that could be affecting the length of trains last week and this week is the closure of the Gawler line between Adelaide and Salisbury with occupations for track and electrification work. It may be that access to the depot for OH, Grange and Belair trains is either not possible or is significantly restricted and that the fleet is being managed to reduce the need for servicing. This may also explain the bustitution over the weekend. At the weekend at the Kings Rd level crossing the DPTI tracks were relaid and the entire crossing was re-asphalted.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#4326 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:50 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:52 am
One factor that could be affecting the length of trains last week and this week is the closure of the Gawler line between Adelaide and Salisbury with occupations for track and electrification work. It may be that access to the depot for OH, Grange and Belair trains is either not possible or is significantly restricted and that the fleet is being managed to reduce the need for servicing. This may also explain the bustitution over the weekend. At the weekend at the Kings Rd level crossing the DPTI tracks were relaid and the entire crossing was re-asphalted.
The Rosewater loop is still there, but in a decrepit state. It wouldn't take much to reopen it and then the other trains could access the depot while work is done on the Gawler line.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4327 Post by PD2/20 » Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:00 am

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:50 pm
PD2/20 wrote:
Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:52 am
The Rosewater loop is still there, but in a decrepit state. It wouldn't take much to reopen it and then the other trains could access the depot while work is done on the Gawler line.
The broad gauge connection from the south end of Dry Creek station across the ARTC main line onto the north west curve of the triangle was removed about 5 years ago, although the diamond crossing was left lying on the west side of rail corridor.

During the present two week shutdown a limited amount work on the DPTI tracks has been carried out including the removal of the siding access N of Pym Street and the associated crossover at Dudley Park. Some work has been going on over the last few days at the depot connection S of Dry Creek. There also seems to be replacement pointwork and track ready to be installed at the north end of Dry Creek Stn. As all the track was renewed less than 10 years ago I would expect much further trackwork to be undertaken. Most of the mast foundation work and cable duct installation has been going on this year with only limited late evening closure of the Gawler service.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#4328 Post by PD2/20 » Sat Apr 25, 2020 1:21 pm

A media release https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... tended.pdf has been posted by DPTI on the Gawler electrification project website with details of further line closures. These comprise:
  • late weeknight closure Adelaide - Salisbury until beginning of July
  • weekend closure Adelaide - Salisbury first 4 weekends in May
  • weekend closure Adelaide - Gawler Central 30-31 May, 6-8 June
  • closure Adelaide - Salisbury July school holidays

ChillyPhilly

#4329 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:04 pm

Spotted this an hour ago. Park Terrace level crossing in Salisbury. I haven't heard anything about the requirements for electrification around here, so it comes as a surprise.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#4330 Post by claybro » Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:21 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sat Apr 25, 2020 3:04 pm
Spotted this an hour ago. Park Terrace level crossing in Salisbury. I haven't heard anything about the requirements for electrification around here, so it comes as a surprise.

Oh Adelaide. Again with the badly placed eucalypts causing angst. Meanwhile in WA, the news is about the state securing a near 1 billion fund from the federal gov to fastrack the 6 metronet (rail expansion) projects which are shovel ready, and a swathe of road improvements- also years in the planning and ready to go. What is the crack Matshal team over there up to besides basking in "flattening the curve".

EBG

#4331 Post by EBG » Sun Apr 26, 2020 3:45 pm

Some supports for the electrification at North Adelaide station - just happened to go past on the way to work. Please click on picture for bigger.
Attachments
20200424 n adel station 1.jpg

PeFe

#4332 Post by PeFe » Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:39 pm

claybro wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 12:21 pm
Meanwhile in WA, the news is about the state securing a near 1 billion fund from the federal gov to fastrack the 6 metronet (rail expansion) projects which are shovel ready, and a swathe of road improvements- also years in the planning and ready to go. What is the crack Matshal team over there up to besides basking in "flattening the curve".
I have heard that the SA government has no major projects "shovel ready" (ie planned and ready to go if you had the money)

At the end of 2019 the Morrison Federal government were considering injecting lots of money into the economy via a large infrastructure spend to head off an oncoming recession and asked the states for their "ready to go" projects......unfortunately the South Australian government had none to offer. The best they could come up with was the AdeLink tram expansion from the previous Labor government. Infrastructure Australia rated this as very low priority and I am not sure even if it made the top 20 wish list.

My point being that if you aim low...ie"we dont want to build anything in fact all we really want to do is open Labor's uncompleted projects and cut government spending" and then you totally box yourself yourself in when the Feds come calling with cash.

I know that during the last state election the Marshall enunciated that Libs "weren't really big in the vision thing" well that's fine if you just want to be perceived as a "caretaker government" until the opposition gets back in...

And getting back to the topic, trains...why doesn't government at least prepare for the Outer Harbor electrification? They have public servants that have done it before, they could at least "prepare" the necessary documents and plans. Leave the Grange as a diesel only feeder line and sell it to the Feds as the last "easy" piece of Adelaide train network electrification. Tell the federal government they intend increasing the density along the line (therefore saving money on infrastructure for new suburbia)

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4333 Post by Spotto » Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:43 pm

PeFe wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:39 pm
And getting back to the topic, trains...why doesn't government at least prepare for the Outer Harbor electrification? They have public servants that have done it before, they could at least "prepare" the necessary documents and plans. Leave the Grange as a diesel only feeder line and sell it to the Feds as the last "easy" piece of Adelaide train network electrification. Tell the federal government they intend increasing the density along the line (therefore saving money on infrastructure for new suburbia)
The Outer Harbor line is the logical next step for electrification due to the hurdles on the Belair line that would ideally need to be overcome first (i.e. duplication on a narrow corridor). If the Marshall Government actually had interest in the Gawler electrification beyond a surface-level "look at us we're doing it because Labor didn't" they'd have already planned Outer Harbor to follow immediately after Gawler and the same crews would be moved over once Gawler is finished; one continuous project which would surely lower elements of the overall cost.

claybro

#4334 Post by claybro » Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:10 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:43 pm
[quote=PeFe post_id=191251 time=<a href="tel:1587884947">1587884947</a> user_id=4203]
The Outer Harbor line is the logical next step for electrification due to the hurdles on the Belair line that would ideally need to be overcome first (i.e. duplication on a narrow corridor). If the Marshall Government actually had interest in the Gawler electrification beyond a surface-level "look at us we're doing it because Labor didn't" they'd have already planned Outer Harbor to follow immediately after Gawler and the same crews would be moved over once Gawler is finished; one continuous project which would surely lower elements of the overall cost.
[/quote]

There is no reason to wait until Gawler is finished before commencing OH. There is seriously rivers of money on offer, and both projects could run together. Now that light rail to the northwest appears dead, how have they not even come up with a plan at least for electrification of the main line? In a decade, Adelaides infrastructure will be 50 years behind the other states once this new Covid stimulus money is spent in other states. Just proves once and for all, it is not money holding back SA, is a lack of vision, and seriously useless poticicians on both sides.

rubberman

#4335 Post by rubberman » Sun Apr 26, 2020 7:11 pm

claybro wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:10 pm
Spotto wrote:
Sun Apr 26, 2020 5:43 pm
[quote=PeFe post_id=191251 time=<a href="tel:1587884947">1587884947</a> user_id=4203]

There is no reason to wait until Gawler is finished before commencing OH. There is seriously rivers of money on offer, and both projects could run together. Now that light rail to the northwest appears dead, how have they not even come up with a plan at least for electrification of the main line? In a decade, Adelaides infrastructure will be 50 years behind the other states once this new Covid stimulus money is spent in other states. Just proves once and for all, it is not money holding back SA, is a lack of vision, and seriously useless poticicians on both sides.
[/quote]

The problem with the Outer Harbour electrification proposal is that they haven't even done fundamental analysis, such as whether it should be heavy or light rail, let alone detailed design and documentation which would make it shovel-ready.

Now, I know people here favour heavy rail, and fair enough. However, that's not going to sway the Feds to release money unless an economic evaluation has been done. No economic evaluation of alternatives = zero Federal funding. The end.

Similarly with the North Adelaide tram extension, or City Loop. They simply aren't near enough shovel-ready.

I blame both Labor and Liberals for this. After the GFC and the issues of pink batts and school halls, it should have been blindingly obvious to State and Federal Governments that having selected projects shovel ready was necessary. Further, the cost of doing this is very small.