[COM] M2 Northern Connector | 15.5km | $867m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by mrumley02 »

Eurostar wrote:I am predicting SA Labor at the 2022 State Election will propose a Salisbury West Rail Bypass via Bolivar as this will make any grade separations of the Gawler Line easier and might score votes
I’m not sure what you mean by this
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 736
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by Eurostar »

mrumley02 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 am
Eurostar wrote:I am predicting SA Labor at the 2022 State Election will propose a Salisbury West Rail Bypass via Bolivar as this will make any grade separations of the Gawler Line easier and might score votes
I’m not sure what you mean by this
The original Northern Connector proposal included a railway in the median which will divert freight trains away from the Salisbury Town Centre area
mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by mrumley02 »

[/quote]

The original Northern Connector proposal included a railway in the median which will divert freight trains away from the Salisbury Town Centre area[/quote]

Oh yes. Why was this scrapped in the first place? I read about the reason for changing from in the median to on the western side of the corridor but couldn’t find why it was removed from the project.
User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 6026
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by Norman »

mrumley02 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:28 pm
The original Northern Connector proposal included a railway in the median which will divert freight trains away from the Salisbury Town Centre area
Oh yes. Why was this scrapped in the first place? I read about the reason for changing from in the median to on the western side of the corridor but couldn’t find why it was removed from the project.
It was never removed, but just not part of the funding for the project. Provision has-been made to allow construction of the project later on when funding becomes available.
Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 335
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by Spotto »

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:48 am
I am predicting SA Labor at the 2022 State Election will propose a Salisbury West Rail Bypass via Bolivar as this will make any grade separations of the Gawler Line easier and might score votes
Isn't that just the original Northern Connector rail component?
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1853
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Contact:

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by ChillyPhilly »

The rail component of the NC was proposed to branch off from the Gawler Line around Dry Creek and cross Salisbury Highway around Magazine Road before joining the Northern Connector alignment. In the original plan, it was to run down the median but this was revised to run alongside the road. A reserve has been included in the project at least.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.
aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by aaronjameslange »

Norman wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:30 pm
mrumley02 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:28 pm
The original Northern Connector proposal included a railway in the median which will divert freight trains away from the Salisbury Town Centre area
Oh yes. Why was this scrapped in the first place? I read about the reason for changing from in the median to on the western side of the corridor but couldn’t find why it was removed from the project.
It was never removed, but just not part of the funding for the project. Provision has-been made to allow construction of the project later on when funding becomes available.
https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... g_2019.JPG

https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... p_2019.JPG

https://www.dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/asset ... p_2019.JPG

So where is the rail going?
Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:55 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by Mr Messy »

The rail is going to the west of the freewayImage

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

aaronjameslange
Gold-Member ;)
Posts: 70
Joined: Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:53 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by aaronjameslange »

Then why have the northbound carriageway through the north most bridge span at the northern interchange, while leaving the centre span unused and useless? Way too much of the current project would have to be reworked to ever build the rail component.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by SBD »

aaronjameslange wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:55 pm
Then why have the northbound carriageway through the north most bridge span at the northern interchange, while leaving the centre span unused and useless? Way too much of the current project would have to be reworked to ever build the rail component.
I wondered that too, but there have been so many temporary roads built through interchanges to keep traffic flowing during construction, that there might not be that much extra rework that wouldn't have been required anyway.

The left turn on to the Northern Expressway would need to be changed to get the train under it, and the Waterloo Corner interchange adjusted I think, but bridges are expensive to maintain, so it could be that the rework will actually be cheaper than building and maintaining an unused bridge for the time until the line is needed.
mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by mrumley02 »

Can we all just vent for a minute that there is no northbound PWR to NEXY ramp?

It’s an obvious need and not that much work, requiring only a trumpet interchange. This also could have been used as the temporary on-ramp during construction that they’re about to remove.

It’s just silly
TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 132
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:45 am

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by TorrensSA »

You have to get on at Waterloo Corner Road, does the Bolivar interchange have a northbound ramp? In the video on the Northern Connector site it doesn't look like it does.
mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by mrumley02 »

TorrensSA wrote:You have to get on at Waterloo Corner Road, does the Bolivar interchange have a northbound ramp? In the video on the Northern Connector site it doesn't look like it does.
Yes it does. It was a late addition.

But getting on at Waterloo Cnr Rd is not going to be acceptable for huge B-doubles and triples. That roundabout is just too tight.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1676
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by SBD »

mrumley02 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm
TorrensSA wrote:You have to get on at Waterloo Corner Road, does the Bolivar interchange have a northbound ramp? In the video on the Northern Connector site it doesn't look like it does.
Yes it does. It was a late addition.

But getting on at Waterloo Cnr Rd is not going to be acceptable for huge B-doubles and triples. That roundabout is just too tight.
The Bolivar on-ramp looks to be a gentle, downhill curve, so ideal for big trucks, and I think the left turn from PWR on to the bridge will be smooth enough once all the barriers are removed. This will only be for trucks from the Cavan to Burton area. Others will enter from the southern end I expect, from the PRExy or Grand Junction Road entrances.

It seems odd that the Waterloo Corner roundabout would have been built too tight, since there will likely be traffic coming from Burton, Direk, Edinburgh area too. At the moment, they are only allowed southbound on Heaslip Road. Is teh WAterloo Corner Interchange roundabout actually any tighter for B-doubles/road trains than the Heaslip Road/Waterloo Corner Road one? They turn right from Heaslip to WCR there.
mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 18
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 10:08 pm

[COM] Re: Northern Connector | 14km | $1b

Post by mrumley02 »

SBD wrote:
mrumley02 wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:59 pm
TorrensSA wrote:You have to get on at Waterloo Corner Road, does the Bolivar interchange have a northbound ramp? In the video on the Northern Connector site it doesn't look like it does.
Yes it does. It was a late addition.

But getting on at Waterloo Cnr Rd is not going to be acceptable for huge B-doubles and triples. That roundabout is just too tight.
The Bolivar on-ramp looks to be a gentle, downhill curve, so ideal for big trucks, and I think the left turn from PWR on to the bridge will be smooth enough once all the barriers are removed. This will only be for trucks from the Cavan to Burton area. Others will enter from the southern end I expect, from the PRExy or Grand Junction Road entrances.

It seems odd that the Waterloo Corner roundabout would have been built too tight, since there will likely be traffic coming from Burton, Direk, Edinburgh area too. At the moment, they are only allowed southbound on Heaslip Road. Is teh WAterloo Corner Interchange roundabout actually any tighter for B-doubles/road trains than the Heaslip Road/Waterloo Corner Road one? They turn right from Heaslip to WCR there.
It’s the idea that northbound traffic has to head south to go north. It seems silly, particularly when there has always been that ramp and it would not be difficult to adjust it.

The PWR to Bolivar Interchange left is looking a little sharp.

As for the roundabout at WCR, it’s a smidge tighter than the current NEXY interchange roundabouts - possible, but will slow traffic.
Post Reply