PRO: Port Adelaide Tramline | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: #U/C: Port Adelaide Tram Line

#946 Post by monotonehell » Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:26 pm

Omicron wrote:Now now, Mono - you've had to deal with the public. The stupid far outnumber we clever sorts.
I was thinking that all the time I was posting that last post. But I was too busy throwing cynicism at news.com.au to throw it elsewhere. ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#947 Post by Norman » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:22 pm

Track will be laid across the West/North Terrace/Port Road intersection and the Port Road/Phillips Street intersection this weekend.

BillD
High Rise Poster!

#948 Post by BillD » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:16 pm

Citadis 203 was out testing again today.

Here 203's waiting for Flexity 110 to pass before returning to the depot:

Citadis 203 returning to depot:

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#949 Post by jk1237 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:11 pm

I just noticed, while driving home through the city from North Haven, that the new tram stop on North Tce, near West Tce, already has its shelter up :lol: There are no tracks yet. Infact there are 2 shelters as it looks like there will be a 3rd track for terminus of the shuttle. There were signs up saying major delays this weekend so looks like more track laying near the Squatters Arm pub

and oh, thanks for all your photos BillD :D

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#950 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:39 am

Track work in Port Road between Park Tce & Ent Cent terminus - Tuesday:

Xaragmata

#951 Post by Xaragmata » Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:02 am

Platforms under construction at West Terrace - Tuesday:

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#952 Post by Norman » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:15 am

Thanks for those updates mate!

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#953 Post by AtD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:55 am

Cool. I was wondering if there was going to be one platform or two at West Tce. I'm sure I've seen plans and renders for both scenarios.

That makes the one track section even more annoying.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#954 Post by Shuz » Thu Dec 10, 2009 12:49 pm

Crosspost from SSC -

Why they wasted a couple of million on building a second shelter/platform at the West Terrace stop for the termination of City Shuttle services is a bit beyond me - as it suggests that they will not consider a City Loop from this point thereon - I mean, they still could, but it would then make the second platform a bit redundant?

And also, to have a three-track segment here which further down the line narrows down a one-track crossover would only cause congestion? I'm really surprised by the degree of short-sightedness in this project.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#955 Post by fabricator » Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:16 pm

Shuz know nothing, noooottthing.

I order to terminate the tram at west terrace, you need a third track with a platform(s). This is because the city tram will block one track until its scheduled to return. Lets say its 5 minutes, are you really saying we should block other trams for 5 minutes to save on platform costs ?

Its only 3 tracks for the length of the platforms, its 2 tracks either side.

Even if the tram is extended to run down west terrace, they can use the tracks as follows.
1. West Terrace.
2. Port Road.
3. City (both trams).
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#956 Post by bm7500 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:55 am

BillD wrote: Image
Is it just me or does the Flexy look a little sad sitting next to his newer flashier cousin?? :lol:
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#957 Post by Shuz » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:39 am

On the way to work yesterday, they had the H-Class, the Flexity and the Citadis outside the Glengowrie depot, adjacent one another. Would have made a great photo opportunity if I had my camera!

I saw it as a stark contrast of old generation vs. current generation vs. new generation. How we've (Adelaide) come in leaps and bounds in just a short timeframe. :D

kenget
Gold-Member ;)

#958 Post by kenget » Fri Dec 11, 2009 10:49 am

bm7500 wrote:
Is it just me or does the Flexy look a little sad sitting next to his newer flashier cousin?? :lol:
Have you been watching too much Thomas the tank engine? :mrgreen:

PeFe

#959 Post by PeFe » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:47 am

They are both very "cool" looking trams-roll on Adelaides tram expansion thats all I can say.......

bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

#960 Post by bm7500 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 9:06 am

kenget wrote:
bm7500 wrote:
Have you been watching too much Thomas the tank engine? :mrgreen:
It was a cloudy but mild summer day in the fine City of Adelaide when there is an arrival, of a brand new Tram...

"Hello, I’m Cristiano the Citadis Tram" he says with a slight Spanish accent.
"Hello...I’m Felicity the Flexity" she says with a sigh.
"Why the long face"? says Cristiano.
"Well.... i used to be the newest tram in this City and now you have arrived with your shiny paint and bold colours, I used to be the special one." says Felicity with a quiver in her voice.
"Aww, don't be sad my friend, you are special! At least you get to see the light of day, unlike poor Horrie the H Type!" Says Cristiano with a reassuring voice. "And anyway, you ARE special, after all you were the first Tram in a long time to go right across this City from one side to the other! Now that’s special!" says Cristiano trying his best to help Felicity from feeling sad.
After a short pause Felicity says "Yes Cristiano, you know, you are right, i do have reason to feel special! Thank you, you have made me feel much better." She says with a waggle of her mirrors.
"My pleasure!" says Cristiano with an air of satisfaction in his voice.

At the same time they both hear the heavy footsteps of the Fat Controller (aka Pat Conlon) approaching.

"Well Cristiano, that sounds like the Fat Controller coming, we best be off" She says in a hurried manner.
"Yes Felicity, It was good to meet you! I'm off to try out this new bridge."
"Ah yes, it has a lovely view from the top. And likewise, it was nice to meet you also." Said Felicity, with a smile.

And with a toot of their horns they were off in different directions, but destined to cross paths again in the not too distant future..
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA