COM: Seaford Rail Extension | $291m | 5.5km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Pat28
High Rise Poster!

Re: Extension plans for Tonsley, Noarlunga lines

#61 Post by Pat28 » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:10 pm

and it is not a Tuesday!
Besser Verkehr in den Bergen

Düsseldorfer
High Rise Poster!

#62 Post by Düsseldorfer » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:16 pm

lol wouldn't surprise me, anything to get a story.

Hopefully the extension to Seaford will be completed by 2014 which is when the the Noarlunga line is supposed to be completed...but it's good that the Minister for Transport said that it was inevitable, so lets hope the people of Seaford get their train line sooner rather than later...

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#63 Post by fabricator » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:08 am

Last edited by fabricator on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Will Derwent
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#64 Post by Will Derwent » Tue Oct 28, 2008 11:31 am

Before anyone gets too excited, I just want to make sure. This is the same rail extension the state government was talking about in the mid 90's, and the only reason that its on the agenda now is because Infrastructure Australia (ie; someone else) is talking about funding it.

No? The State isn't suggesting they're about to fund it themselves are they?

I get the feeling there are going to be a whole lot of infrastructure projects that will come up in the public debate that aren't going to be funded by IA or the Feds. There is after all only $15b in IA once you pay for a national broadband network, and we sure aren't getting $15b for SA (the other states might have something to say about that).

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#65 Post by muzzamo » Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:27 pm

Will Derwent wrote:I get the feeling there are going to be a whole lot of infrastructure projects that will come up in the public debate that aren't going to be funded by IA or the Feds. There is after all only $15b in IA once you pay for a national broadband network, and we sure aren't getting $15b for SA (the other states might have something to say about that).
I reckon we will get about 1/10th of the amount, ie 1.5b.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#66 Post by Norman » Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:08 pm

I think more like $1b.

joshzxzx
Donating Member
Donating Member

SA seeks rail revamp funds

#67 Post by joshzxzx » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:41 pm

GREG KELTON, STATE EDITOR
October 29, 2008 12:55pm

THE desalination plant and the electrification of the metropolitan rail network head the State State Government's "wishlist" for federal funding.

Details of the list of five major projects were released today by Premier Mike Rann and Infrastructure Minister Patrick Conlon.

They said the list had been put forward to federal Infrastructure Minister Anthony Albanese and how much SA secured from the giant Infrastructure Australia fund would be subject to ongoing negotiations.

The projects on the list are:

THE desalination plant at Port Stanvac.

EXTENSION of the rail network to Seaford.

UPGRADE and electrification of Gawler rail line.

UPGRADE of Torrens and Goodwood rail junctions.

NORTH-SOUTH corridor including South and Sturt road underpasses and extension of the Tonsley rail line to the Flinders Medical Centre.

Mr Conlon refused to say how much the projects would cost, but said construction of at least one – the extension of the rail line to Seaford – would begin next year.

There is $20 billion available from the infrastructure fund and all states and territories are putting in bids for projects which can be brought forward as a result of the world financial crisis.

Mr Conlon said the Government had put forward only projects which were supported by a good business case and were capable of being established quickly.

He said he would be meeting Mr Albanese in Sydney on Friday for further talks on the projects.

South Australia the Festival State

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: SA seeks rail revamp funds

#68 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:43 pm

I saw that picture too but it didn't say where it was or any mention at all in the article?

A proposed transport interchange that forms part of the State Government's funding wishlist

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#69 Post by Wayno » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:53 pm

excuse my ignorance - where's the Torrens rail junction?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#70 Post by Ben » Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:57 pm

I think this article was rushed... but then again... probably not it was The Advertiser.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#71 Post by Will409 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:07 pm

Torrens Junction is between Adelaide and Bowden/North Adelaide stations just north of the Torrens River bridges. There are 5 tracks there, 1 being the ARTC mainline, 2 being the TA line to Outer Harbour/Grange and 2 being the Gawler Central line. At present, the ARTC line crosses over the Outer Harbour line here at an at grade diamond crossing and then runs parallel to the Gawler Central line until Salisbury Junction.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#72 Post by muzzamo » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:26 pm

I reckon that might picture could be sturt/south roads: google street view .

The cost/benefit of an interchange at tonsley/flinders is through the roof, there is probably a couple of buses a minute coming through there during peak hour.

Shuz
Banned
Banned

#73 Post by Shuz » Wed Oct 29, 2008 4:57 pm

It has always been a known fact that SA gets less than its fair share of funding.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#74 Post by Norman » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:02 pm

muzzamo wrote:I reckon that might picture could be sturt/south roads: google street view .

The cost/benefit of an interchange at tonsley/flinders is through the roof, there is probably a couple of buses a minute coming through there during peak hour.
There are a few, but a lot of F and X buses bypass Flinders during peak. Building an interchange would mean more localised buses and less going all the way to the City.

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#75 Post by aussie2000 » Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:03 pm

i think that the federal government should spend on SA rail to bring it up to standard with the rest of the country, but then again as people, we never get our fair share!