News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Zills
Gold-Member ;)

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

#616 Post by Zills » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:38 pm

The people at Save Adelaide's Rymill Park facebook page are just thrilled by this!

:banana:

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#617 Post by Goodsy » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:50 pm

zills_86 wrote:The people at Save Adelaide's Rymill Park facebook page are just thrilled by this!

What about the effect on the Adelaide Botanic Gardens, they will loose parking around Botanic Park and have the extended road encroaching on the gardens. Not to mention the lack of access during construction to both the gardens and the park! Just awful!!!

These people are making me want the state government to sell off the parklands to property developers, they should be grateful there's any consultation at all

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#618 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:35 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
zills_86 wrote:The people at Save Adelaide's Rymill Park facebook page are just thrilled by this!

What about the effect on the Adelaide Botanic Gardens, they will loose parking around Botanic Park and have the extended road encroaching on the gardens. Not to mention the lack of access during construction to both the gardens and the park! Just awful!!!

These people are making me want the state government to sell off the parklands to property developers, they should be grateful there's any consultation at all
No parking will be lost, they'd know this is they bothered to read the proposal documentation.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#619 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:34 am

I Follow PAFC wrote:
First look at new O-Bahn tunnel images: 60m-long, 6m high steel canopy for Hackney Rd as part of $160m O-Bahn tunnel project.
THE first designs for the O-Bahn tunnel openings on Rymill Park and Hackney Rd have been released and not everyone is happy with them.

A 60m-long, 6m tall steel canopy will be built in the middle Hackney Rd as part of the $160 million O-Bahn tunnel project.

A second 20m-long canopy will be constructed in Rymill Park, near Grenfell St, designs released this week reveal.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 00d64079fc
I can't believe I'm going to say this. But the point about pedestrian access to the parklands over hackney road sounds like it might be a valid concern to me.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#620 Post by SouthAussie94 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:16 pm

Kasey771 wrote:
I Follow PAFC wrote:
First look at new O-Bahn tunnel images: 60m-long, 6m high steel canopy for Hackney Rd as part of $160m O-Bahn tunnel project.
THE first designs for the O-Bahn tunnel openings on Rymill Park and Hackney Rd have been released and not everyone is happy with them.

A 60m-long, 6m tall steel canopy will be built in the middle Hackney Rd as part of the $160 million O-Bahn tunnel project.

A second 20m-long canopy will be constructed in Rymill Park, near Grenfell St, designs released this week reveal.

http://www.news.com.au/national/south-a ... 00d64079fc
I can't believe I'm going to say this. But the point about pedestrian access to the parklands over hackney road sounds like it might be a valid concern to me.
Arguably, there aren't many places where you can cross Hackney road as it stands now. The rose bushes in the median strip, along with the grapevine fence near the wine centre car park would restrict people crossing. Admittedly, these wouldn't stop someone crossing the road but they would certainly make it more difficult.

As it stands, there aren't any formal places for a pedestrian to cross the road between the Torrens and North Terrace. The O-Bahn proposal wouldn't be removing any crossings.

Whether this is a good or bad thing though is certainly debatable. I can definitely see why residents would be concerned.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#621 Post by Kasey771 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:41 pm

I'm sure I've read that a primary urban design axiom is that being pedestrian friendly is the key to activating spaces. It's for this reason that Canberra is a wasteland for people because it has a colder climate than Adelaide and is not very walkable(at least between major attractions)

Surely it wouldn't be hard to put a pedestrian bridge over hackney rd? Doesn't have to be a $40m Torrens footbridge effort either.
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

claybro

#622 Post by claybro » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:02 pm

Kasey771 wrote:I'm sure I've read that a primary urban design axiom is that being pedestrian friendly is the key to activating spaces. It's for this reason that Canberra is a wasteland for people because it has a colder climate than Adelaide and is not very walkable(at least between major attractions)

Surely it wouldn't be hard to put a pedestrian bridge over hackney rd? Doesn't have to be a $40m Torrens footbridge effort either.
Hackney road has not been "pedestrian friendly" to cross for probably about 80 years.-Haven't heard a tickety boo from the good folk of College Park until now. There are cars and buses literally roaring along the multiple lanes for most of the day, except when it is at a standstill due to congestion. As with South Road...why is it only when some development is proposed, everyone suddenly is up in arms about folk not being able to cross a road that in reality very few pedestrians negotiate anyway. By all means, we do need more pedestrian overpasses of ALL major roads, but the way these things hold up progress in Adelaide is very frustrating.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#623 Post by Goodsy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:06 pm

claybro wrote:
Kasey771 wrote:I'm sure I've read that a primary urban design axiom is that being pedestrian friendly is the key to activating spaces. It's for this reason that Canberra is a wasteland for people because it has a colder climate than Adelaide and is not very walkable(at least between major attractions)

Hackney road has not been "pedestrian friendly" to cross for probably about 80 years.-Haven't heard a tickety boo from the good folk of College Park until now. There are cars and buses literally roaring along the multiple lanes for most of the day, except when it is at a standstill due to congestion. As with South Road...why is it only when some development is proposed, everyone suddenly is up in arms about folk not being able to cross a road that in reality very few pedestrians negotiate anyway. By all means, we do need more pedestrian overpasses of ALL major roads, but the way these things hold up progress in Adelaide is very frustrating.

We could build pedestrian overpasses over the major roads, and they'd complain they're too difficult to walk over.
We could build pedestrian underpasses under the major roads, and they'd complain they're too dark and unsafe
We could put all the major roads in trenches under local surface roads, and they'd complain about the cost, noise and traffic delays

These people are professional complainers and nothing we do would please them, the only thing we should do it ignore them and get on with the job

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#624 Post by Kasey771 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:52 am

GoodSmackUp wrote:
claybro wrote:

We could build pedestrian overpasses over the major roads, and they'd complain they're too difficult to walk over.
We could build pedestrian underpasses under the major roads, and they'd complain they're too dark and unsafe
We could put all the major roads in trenches under local surface roads, and they'd complain about the cost, noise and traffic delays

These people are professional complainers and nothing we do would please them, the only thing we should do it ignore them and get on with the job

Well argued claybro and GSU, I agree that this is a job for the "department of shut the fuck up!"
A dept which sadly this govt does not seem to possess:(

EBG

#625 Post by EBG » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:35 pm

Years ago Pultney Grammar School built a pedestrian Bridge over South Tce . Everyday school students and the general public actually use it. It is elegant, useful, and unobtrusive so it can be done

Patrick_27

#626 Post by Patrick_27 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:54 pm

EBG wrote:Years ago Pultney Grammar School built a pedestrian Bridge over South Tce . Everyday school students and the general public actually use it. It is elegant, useful, and unobtrusive so it can be done
And because it wasn't built tall enough it restricts the types of vehicles that can travel down South Terrace.

rubberman

#627 Post by rubberman » Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:40 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
EBG wrote:Years ago Pultney Grammar School built a pedestrian Bridge over South Tce . Everyday school students and the general public actually use it. It is elegant, useful, and unobtrusive so it can be done
And because it wasn't built tall enough it restricts the types of vehicles that can travel down South Terrace.
I think some would regard that as an advantage. :mrgreen:

Llessur2002

#628 Post by Llessur2002 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:16 am

Patrick_27 wrote:And because it wasn't built tall enough it restricts the types of vehicles that can travel down South Terrace.
Damn, I've just put in an order for one of these...

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#629 Post by Ben » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:17 pm

This is on public notification until January 29.

http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/ ... roject.pdf

The Scooter Guy

#630 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sun Jan 24, 2016 6:01 pm

SWP should commence in a few weeks.
Only two more weeks until GOUD arrives at Kadlitpina Park, which will be in business as usual!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/