News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3550
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by Waewick »

rubberman wrote:
Waewick wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:43 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:47 pm


A stretch of Currie St right next to Leigh Street/Topham Mall was recently resurfaced after some borderline dangerously deep grooves. I feel that the wrong kind of surface is being constructed and/or the final layer is not being given adequate time to 'cure' or 'set'.
Is there an argument to use concrete roads like the Northern Connector given the amount of use on Grenfell now?

I assume he argument is who is coughing up the cash to do it?
If we were to go to the expense of reinforced concrete, might as well put a couple of steel rails in there - about 4'-8 1/2" apart.
Ha! Trams and buses, SA drivers would have a heart attack!.

To be honest not being an expert on road construction i was wondering if there are better options.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by Patrick_27 »

In Sydney I noticed that to spare themselves converting bitumen to concrete roads entirely, they'd simply turned the outer lane for a lot of their major roads into concrete surfaced bus lanes, the same could be done here. However I feel as though there is intent behind the State Government and ACC intentionally neglecting Grenfell/Currie Streets, so maybe they're already onto this?
citywatcher
Legendary Member!
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by citywatcher »

Along the track the grass verges are overgrown graffiti is not removed and electronic Notice boards are not working or boarded over at Interchanges
General lack of upkeep over the past few months

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1607
Joined: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:49 pm
Location: Blakeview

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by SBD »

citywatcher wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Along the track the grass verges are overgrown graffiti is not removed and electronic Notice boards are not working or boarded over at Interchanges
General lack of upkeep over the past few months
Is that the responsibility of DPTI, the relevant councils, or the bus operators?
citywatcher
Legendary Member!
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by citywatcher »

SBD wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Along the track the grass verges are overgrown graffiti is not removed and electronic Notice boards are not working or boarded over at Interchanges
General lack of upkeep over the past few months
Is that the responsibility of DPTI, the relevant councils, or the bus operators?
I would guess the dpti

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by claybro »

citywatcher wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Along the track the grass verges are overgrown graffiti is not removed and electronic Notice boards are not working or boarded over at Interchanges
General lack of upkeep over the past few months

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
This is a well known issue in Adelaide suburbs in general-not just the Obahn corridor. Very poor maintenance of the main corridors. It is not a good look. The other capitals I visit seem to be making some progress in this area, disappointingly not so Adelaide. Such an inexpensive fix, could make such a difference to the appearance and general mood of the suburbs.
User avatar
duke
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 399
Joined: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:15 pm

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by duke »

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:13 am
In Sydney I noticed that to spare themselves converting bitumen to concrete roads entirely, they'd simply turned the outer lane for a lot of their major roads into concrete surfaced bus lanes, the same could be done here. However I feel as though there is intent behind the State Government and ACC intentionally neglecting Grenfell/Currie Streets, so maybe they're already onto this?
What is the advantage of concrete?
I noticed in Hong Kong they have a lot of concrete roads with a sliver of bitumen over the top which is, of course, breaking away.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by Patrick_27 »

duke wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:36 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:13 am
In Sydney I noticed that to spare themselves converting bitumen to concrete roads entirely, they'd simply turned the outer lane for a lot of their major roads into concrete surfaced bus lanes, the same could be done here. However I feel as though there is intent behind the State Government and ACC intentionally neglecting Grenfell/Currie Streets, so maybe they're already onto this?
What is the advantage of concrete?
I noticed in Hong Kong they have a lot of concrete roads with a sliver of bitumen over the top which is, of course, breaking away.
Whilst more expensive, concrete last much longer and has a greater handle on weight, it also doesn't attract as much heat from the sun. Whereas bitumen deteriorates quicker needing constant rejuvenation, it also can soften in intense heat which allows things like buses to cause large indentation with their wheels (evident along Currie and Grenfell Street(s); that said old bitumen can be recycled. And IMO, it also looks cleaner. The Northern Connector is being laid out with concrete roads, I suspect because of the anticipated freight truck use.
rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by rubberman »

Patrick_27 wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:45 pm
duke wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:36 pm
Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:13 am
In Sydney I noticed that to spare themselves converting bitumen to concrete roads entirely, they'd simply turned the outer lane for a lot of their major roads into concrete surfaced bus lanes, the same could be done here. However I feel as though there is intent behind the State Government and ACC intentionally neglecting Grenfell/Currie Streets, so maybe they're already onto this?
What is the advantage of concrete?
I noticed in Hong Kong they have a lot of concrete roads with a sliver of bitumen over the top which is, of course, breaking away.
Whilst more expensive, concrete last much longer and has a greater handle on weight, it also doesn't attract as much heat from the sun. Whereas bitumen deteriorates quicker needing constant rejuvenation, it also can soften in intense heat which allows things like buses to cause large indentation with their wheels (evident along Currie and Grenfell Street(s); that said old bitumen can be recycled. And IMO, it also looks cleaner. The Northern Connector is being laid out with concrete roads, I suspect because of the anticipated freight truck use.
Apart from the much greater expense, there's also the problem of what happens if there's a water main break under the concrete. We've had quite a few of those in the CBD over the past ten years. It would be a much longer and more expensive exercise to locate and repair a water main break under a concrete slab. Then there’s the problem of how to repair the slab itself if it's been cut up to get to a burst water main.
citywatcher
Legendary Member!
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by citywatcher »

claybro wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Along the track the grass verges are overgrown graffiti is not removed and electronic Notice boards are not working or boarded over at Interchanges
General lack of upkeep over the past few months

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
This is a well known issue in Adelaide suburbs in general-not just the Obahn corridor. Very poor maintenance of the main corridors. It is not a good look. The other capitals I visit seem to be making some progress in this area, disappointingly not so Adelaide. Such an inexpensive fix, could make such a difference to the appearance and general mood of the suburbs.
I've never seen the obahn look this bad tho
V shabby

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2160
Joined: Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:16 pm

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by claybro »

citywatcher wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:49 pm
claybro wrote:
citywatcher wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Along the track the grass verges are overgrown graffiti is not removed and electronic Notice boards are not working or boarded over at Interchanges
General lack of upkeep over the past few months

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
This is a well known issue in Adelaide suburbs in general-not just the Obahn corridor. Very poor maintenance of the main corridors. It is not a good look. The other capitals I visit seem to be making some progress in this area, disappointingly not so Adelaide. Such an inexpensive fix, could make such a difference to the appearance and general mood of the suburbs.
I've never seen the obahn look this bad tho
V shabby

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
It surprises me that no one in Adelaide I know complains to their local member and local councils about the state of public areas. So many people I know living in the Charles Sturt council, complain about the state of verges and Port road median every year-its a perennial problem...but does anyone actually make their politicians accountable-no. So here we are, the laziness has led to what should be Adelaide showpiece PC corridor-the Obahn is a mess...Do something people, don't just complain on here.
User avatar
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)
Posts: 4618
Joined: Sat Nov 11, 2006 12:14 pm

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by rev »

claybro wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:12 pm
citywatcher wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Along the track the grass verges are overgrown graffiti is not removed and electronic Notice boards are not working or boarded over at Interchanges
General lack of upkeep over the past few months

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
This is a well known issue in Adelaide suburbs in general-not just the Obahn corridor. Very poor maintenance of the main corridors. It is not a good look. The other capitals I visit seem to be making some progress in this area, disappointingly not so Adelaide. Such an inexpensive fix, could make such a difference to the appearance and general mood of the suburbs.
It's not just the main corridors, it's the whole of suburbia pretty much. Are councils actually budgeting for it and is there even any money for routine maintenance and upkeep?
What's also a trend in Adelaide is councils employing contractors from labor hire companies more and more. That opens up another can of worms.

I'm lucky to see the council mowers come around once bi-annually to mow the verges in my neighborhood, let alone any tree watering being done.

It's council election time, while not mandatory, if people aren't happy, vote the current councilors and mayors out.
citywatcher
Legendary Member!
Posts: 676
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:51 pm

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by citywatcher »

rev wrote:
claybro wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 3:12 pm
citywatcher wrote:
Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:00 pm
Along the track the grass verges are overgrown graffiti is not removed and electronic Notice boards are not working or boarded over at Interchanges
General lack of upkeep over the past few months

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
This is a well known issue in Adelaide suburbs in general-not just the Obahn corridor. Very poor maintenance of the main corridors. It is not a good look. The other capitals I visit seem to be making some progress in this area, disappointingly not so Adelaide. Such an inexpensive fix, could make such a difference to the appearance and general mood of the suburbs.
It's not just the main corridors, it's the whole of suburbia pretty much. Are councils actually budgeting for it and is there even any money for routine maintenance and upkeep?
What's also a trend in Adelaide is councils employing contractors from labor hire companies more and more. That opens up another can of worms.

I'm lucky to see the council mowers come around once bi-annually to mow the verges in my neighborhood, let alone any tree watering being done.

It's council election time, while not mandatory, if people aren't happy, vote the current councilors and mayors out.
Today I noticed along the track the other side of the boundary fence was much better kept
This suggests to me that side is council and the obahn side is dpti ie the govts responsibility and we know some govts like to cut more than others

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk

User avatar
SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 379
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:03 pm
Location: Southern Suburbs

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by SouthAussie94 »

citywatcher wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 4:24 pm
Today I noticed along the track the other side of the boundary fence was much better kept
This suggests to me that side is council and the obahn side is dpti ie the govts responsibility and we know some govts like to cut more than others

Sent from my SM-J730G using Tapatalk
Or maybe they like to cut less?
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation
User avatar
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1583
Joined: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:45 pm
Location: Anywhere!
Contact:

Re: News & Discussion: O-Bahn

Post by The Scooter Guy »

Happened to me for the first time today!
Help us Fight Back the Retail Apocalypse.
Support Small Business More, Support Small Business Better.


https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/
Post Reply