News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#871 Post by adelaide transport » Fri May 01, 2020 7:45 pm

Modbury_Man wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 pm
adelaide transport wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:40 pm
Modbury_Man wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 9:48 pm
Also I presume the actual AdelaideMetro consultation will be out in the not too distant future given consultation starts in April - maybe next week?
Was due to be released this Thursday(30/4), but what I was told when I rang the info line today, that they are still working on finalising the plans for release, so unfortunately it looks like we will have to wait a little longer(this is DPTI -they don't move very fast!).
I rang the AdMet info line yesterday and they said the consultation info should be up today on the special AdMet website. I've looked everywhere and the only info I can find still relates to the news announcement about the new network from 10 March 2020. Anyone know where I can find out more about the new network or details on particular new routes etc?
I had an email today from DPTI telling me that it could be a couple of more weeks before the information is released and consultation begins.
I have a contact at the Minister's office, but unfortunately she was away today,so I have left a message for her to ring me early next week.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#872 Post by NTRabbit » Sun May 03, 2020 5:57 pm

I rode one of the new buses last week; it was the 8am or so G21F from Aberfoyle Hub to the City, and even still had the new car smell inside.

How we got one on that route I don't know.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#873 Post by Spotto » Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 pm

NTRabbit wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 5:57 pm
I rode one of the new buses last week; it was the 8am or so G21F from Aberfoyle Hub to the City, and even still had the new car smell inside.

I've seen a regular few on Flagstaff Road running the Aberfoyle Hub routes across the past two months.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#874 Post by adelaide transport » Sun May 03, 2020 8:05 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 pm
NTRabbit wrote:

I've seen a regular few on Flagstaff Road running the Aberfoyle Hub routes across the past two months.
There are currently 67 of these new Scania Bustech buses in service, so they are used on all TT routes(excluding O-Bahn services).

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#875 Post by Furyan » Mon May 04, 2020 2:59 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:09 pm
NTRabbit wrote:

I would hope they are trialing a bus that is capable of doing more than 30 KPH up the 10 degree slope of the northern end of Flagstaff Road.
This would mean motorists may not be tempted to unsafely merge on this steep gradient.
There is a commitment for an extra lane for this road which is good but will not improve this problem.
They could change the scope of the project and put in a bus lane at the same time but I am not holding my breath.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#876 Post by Spotto » Mon May 04, 2020 4:23 pm

Furyan wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:59 pm
I would hope they are trialing a bus that is capable of doing more than 30 KPH up the 10 degree slope of the northern end of Flagstaff Road.
This would mean motorists may not be tempted to unsafely merge on this steep gradient.
There is a commitment for an extra lane for this road which is good but will not improve this problem.
They could change the scope of the project and put in a bus lane at the same time but I am not holding my breath.
I'm not sure if the demand would be there to add a dedicated bus lane onto Flagstaff Road. The fourth lane should already help improve traffic safety and flow significantly.

What should definitely be included though is a concrete barrier or an island between the northbound and southbound lanes so that people who live on the western side of the road cannot turn against oncoming traffic which is dangerous and blocks lanes while they wait to turn. Making then u-turn at Skyline Drive instead will be much safer.

Furyan
Gold-Member ;)

#877 Post by Furyan » Tue May 05, 2020 8:53 pm

Spotto wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 4:23 pm
Furyan wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 2:59 pm
I'm not sure if the demand would be there to add a dedicated bus lane onto Flagstaff Road. The fourth lane should already help improve traffic safety and flow significantly.

What should definitely be included though is a concrete barrier or an island between the northbound and southbound lanes so that people who live on the western side of the road cannot turn against oncoming traffic which is dangerous and blocks lanes while they wait to turn. Making then u-turn at Skyline Drive instead will be much safer.
Adding a bus lane would not be a matter of demand but rather safety.
The fourth lane addresses safety as far as head-on crashes, but a bus lane included as well would address the bottleneck, and the safety issues associated with that, on this steep incline.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#878 Post by adelaide transport » Sat May 09, 2020 4:26 pm

Torrens Transit's Camden Park Depot is closing as of tomorrow night. All their buses and drivers are being transferred to either Mile End or Morphettville Depots.

Modbury_Man
Gold-Member ;)

#879 Post by Modbury_Man » Tue May 12, 2020 8:14 pm

Fri May 01, 2020 7:45 pm
Modbury_Man wrote:
Fri May 01, 2020 5:28 pm
Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:40 pm

Was due to be released this Thursday(30/4), but what I was told when I rang the info line today, that they are still working on finalising the plans for release, so unfortunately it looks like we will have to wait a little longer(this is DPTI -they don't move very fast!).
I rang the AdMet info line yesterday and they said the consultation info should be up today on the special AdMet website. I've looked everywhere and the only info I can find still relates to the news announcement about the new network from 10 March 2020. Anyone know where I can find out more about the new network or details on particular new routes etc?
I had an email today from DPTI telling me that it could be a couple of more weeks before the information is released and consultation begins.
I have a contact at the Minister's office, but unfortunately she was away today,so I have left a message for her to ring me early next week.
Still no update of when the consultation will start on the New Network it seems?

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#880 Post by adelaide transport » Mon May 18, 2020 2:24 pm

It appears that no one in DPTI/SAPTA will give a straight answer,all being very evasive?
Have just received an update from SAPTA advising that details will be released late May and now run until the end of July.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#881 Post by adelaide transport » Sat May 23, 2020 7:45 am

According to the article in today's Advertiser the details of the new Bus Network for Public Consultation release has now been delayed until the end of June to allow the Government and SAPTA to asses the effects of COVID-19 on the future patterns of Public Transport, especially with more people working from home.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#882 Post by Tonsley213 » Sat May 23, 2020 1:18 pm

Sat May 23, 2020 7:45 am
According to the article in today's Advertiser the details of the new Bus Network for Public Consultation release has now been delayed until the end of June to allow the Government and SAPTA to asses the effects of COVID-19 on the future patterns of Public Transport, especially with more people working from home.
What an excuse....

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#883 Post by SBD » Sat May 23, 2020 5:51 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 1:18 pm
What an excuse....
Do you want the government to be committed to pay a contract to provide bus routes that used to be popular, but aren't any more? Or low frequency bus routes that have become more popular, and passengers are limited by ongoing distance separation requirements? Things that make sense appear to be continuing. I can imagine that bus patterns might change.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#884 Post by NTRabbit » Mon May 25, 2020 12:21 am

SBD wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 5:51 pm
Tonsley213 wrote:
What an excuse....
Do you want the government to be committed to pay a contract to provide bus routes that used to be popular, but aren't any more? Or low frequency bus routes that have become more popular, and passengers are limited by ongoing distance separation requirements? Things that make sense appear to be continuing. I can imagine that bus patterns might change.
Mostly I want the government to not kill off public transport and replace it with UberBus

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#885 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon May 25, 2020 11:56 am

Tonsley213 wrote:
According to the article in today's Advertiser the details of the new Bus Network for Public Consultation release has now been delayed until the end of June to allow the Government and SAPTA to assess the effects of COVID-19 on the future patterns of Public Transport, especially with more people working from home.
What an excuse...
A poor one at that.

This 'On Demand' idea is a dangerous one, as it favours those who have no mobility issues. This does not bode well for an ageing population. If the demand for 'On Demand' drops to zero, coupled with a private contract, where does that leave transport options for the elderly, people with mobility issues or people with disabilities who cannot drive?

Certainly, I am in favour of overhauling the bus network to provide improved cross-suburban travel, but taking measures such as above is not an excuse for a Liberal Party political agenda.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.