News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

#1051 Post by SBD » Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 pm

rubberman wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 5:51 pm
ginzahikari wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:04 pm
Sorry for the bad picture, but here's a picture of one of the new bus stops - In real life it looks bulkier than the bus stops equipped with real time information, and it's a shame that they did not include any real time info displays with this
I'm a little curious. If you have the apps mentioned on the stop, then why do you need real time info on the stop as well? It's expensive technology to maintain and install, and it's not immediately obvious what advantage it has over an app?
Not everyone has a fast smart phone in their hand all the time. Mine is slow enough that the bus would have left by the time I had got it out of my pocket, got the app to open and checked if this is the bus I want or if mine will be a minute behind it.

rubberman

#1052 Post by rubberman » Mon Feb 15, 2021 8:36 am

SBD wrote:
Sun Feb 14, 2021 10:26 pm
rubberman wrote:
ginzahikari wrote:
Sorry for the bad picture, but here's a picture of one of the new bus stops - In real life it looks bulkier than the bus stops equipped with real time information, and it's a shame that they did not include any real time info displays with this
I'm a little curious. If you have the apps mentioned on the stop, then why do you need real time info on the stop as well? It's expensive technology to maintain and install, and it's not immediately obvious what advantage it has over an app?
Not everyone has a fast smart phone in their hand all the time. Mine is slow enough that the bus would have left by the time I had got it out of my pocket, got the app to open and checked if this is the bus I want or if mine will be a minute behind it.
While that's true, the numbers of people who do have mobile phones...and that's a lot...reduces the numbers of people who benefit from real time displays. So, the government is looking at spending lots more on fewer and fewer people.

It can obviously be justified where there are lots of buses or trains going to lots of places, but where there's fewer buses and destinations, justifying the expense for increasingly smaller numbers of people without smartphones gets harder by the day.

I mean, what do you say when there's this huge cost to install something that is now able to be done with multiple free apps...and so few people are now without smartphones? Yes, for those who don't have smartphones, they don't benefit. But they aren't worse off either.

bits
Legendary Member!

#1053 Post by bits » Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:07 pm

Golden Grove Park n Ride:

https://ptpa.com.au/projects/golden-grove-park-n-ride

"On 10 November 2020, the State Government announced an additional $25 million in funding over two years for the Golden Grove Park ‘n’ Ride, bringing total funding for the project to $33 million."

"The new Golden Grove Park ‘n’ Ride will comprise three levels of parking (ground floor plus two upper levels) and when complete will provide 450 car parking spaces, which will include ten Disability Discrimination Act 1992, compliant car parks and provision for secure bicycle storage. The new Park ‘n’ Ride will be constructed on the site of the existing car park and its surrounds."

"Works for the Golden Grove Park ‘n’ Ride Project are planned to commence Wednesday 17 February 2021, with project completion expected in early 2022, weather permitting."

Existing carpark:Image

VLtom
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#1054 Post by VLtom » Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:14 pm

Video I made about the new park 'n' ride back in January

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWx9sL2 ... ieWirraway

rubberman

#1055 Post by rubberman » Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:03 pm

When there's a breakdown.
20210304_183817_copy_1478x794.jpg
Cool recovery vehicle

SBD

#1056 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:17 pm

rubberman wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:03 pm

Great picture - well done. What buildings are in the background?

Nathan

#1057 Post by Nathan » Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:02 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:17 pm
rubberman wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:03 pm

Great picture - well done. What buildings are in the background?
Tandanya and the Old Exchange Hotel

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#1058 Post by ginzahikari » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:25 pm

https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/pu ... provements
Bus Interchange Improvements
Four bus interchanges across metropolitan Adelaide will receive improved facilities for public transport users.

The program is being delivered by the Department for Infrastructure and Transport and will improve amenity and safety at bus interchanges along Adelaide’s passenger transport network. The work will include a combination of lighting and security upgrades, installation of digital signage and passenger service information, secure bike cages, improved pedestrian access and landscaping.

The work is expected to commence later this year and be completed in the second half of 2022.

Bus Interchanges to be upgraded include:

Old Reynella Bus Interchange
Klemzig Interchange
Paradise Interchange
Tea Tree Plaza Interchange
Don't know if this has been posted before, but some bus interchanges are getting upgraded.
Kudos to AussieWirraway for finding this.

RetroGamer87
High Rise Poster!

#1059 Post by RetroGamer87 » Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:13 am

SBD wrote:
rubberman wrote:
ginzahikari wrote:
Sorry for responding to an 8 month old comment but even with a fast smartphone, it's just easier to have the information you need displayed overhead rather than having to navigate through the UI of some app.

rubberman

#1060 Post by rubberman » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:24 pm

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:13 am
SBD wrote:
rubberman wrote:

Sorry for responding to an 8 month old comment but even with a fast smartphone, it's just easier to have the information you need displayed overhead rather than having to navigate through the UI of some app.
That's true. But...if your bus is there or in sight, you don't need either. If it isn't in sight, then the time difference isn't relevant, surely?

I'd rather the money be spent on better shelters keeping sun, wind and rain off me. However, I do understand that others have different priorities. :)

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1061 Post by crawf » Tue Oct 19, 2021 5:17 pm

Noticed the new tap and pay validators on the Obahn today. Big improvement.

PeFe

#1062 Post by PeFe » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:22 am

I am putting this in the buses thread to give it a bit more activity.

Daniel Bowen, Melbourne public transport advocate, looks at public transport passenger numbers from 2019 in Australia's 5 biggest cities.

No doubt you can guess that Adelaide came last in all numbers only, but there were some other interesting stats. More Adelaide people live within 400 metres of frequent public transport than in Brisbane/Gold Coast or Perth.

https://www.danielbowen.com/2022/01/21/ ... st-cities/

ChillyPhilly

#1063 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:06 pm

PeFe wrote:I am putting this in the buses thread to give it a bit more activity.

Daniel Bowen, Melbourne public transport advocate, looks at public transport passenger numbers from 2019 in Australia's 5 biggest cities.

No doubt you can guess that Adelaide came last in all numbers only, but there were some other interesting stats. More Adelaide people live within 400 metres of frequent public transport than in Brisbane/Gold Coast or Perth.

https://www.danielbowen.com/2022/01/21/ ... st-cities/
Interesting.

This is definitely down to urban form. Perth and Brisbane have significant waterways (and hills for the latter), while Adelaide does not, which makes it easier for buses to service the central metropolitan area.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

PeFe

#1064 Post by PeFe » Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:16 pm

Latest timetable changes for buses
Bus service changes
27 Jan 2022
From Monday 31 January, timetable changes will be made to 21 Adelaide Metro bus routes, along with additional school bus services to cater for Year 7 students attending high school from 2022.

There will be no changes to:

Train
Tram

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/about- ... ce_changes

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#1065 Post by Eurostar » Thu May 05, 2022 3:18 pm

Old Reynella Interchange
About the project

The South Australian Government has committed $2 million to upgrading amenities at the Old Reynella Interchange. The upgrade aims to improve the customer experience and increase patronage on the Adelaide Metro bus network.

Upgrades to the Old Reynella interchange will include the installation of new:

bus platform shelters;
platform bins;
bus drivers’ amenity building;
wayfinding and passenger information signage;
MetroCARD ticket recharge machine;
real time digital passenger information;
Tactile Ground Surface Indicators to assist the visually impaired; and
secure bike cage for MetroCARD holders.
In addition, improvements to landscaping and irrigation, pedestrian pathway access and platform and pathway lighting and CCTV will also be undertaken.

Site investigation works recently commenced and upgrade works will begin after these investigation works are complete. The project is expected to be complete mid-2022, weather permitting. Works will generally be undertaken during the day Monday to Friday.
Source:

https://dit.sa.gov.au/infrastructure/pu ... provements