News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 275
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 12:01 pm

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by adelaide transport »

1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:59 pm
It needs to happen. If Currie/Grenfell St changes to a bus only street, it would only need to be two lanes each way, so the footpaths could be widened.
You would need the 3rd lane to be for taxis, emergency vehicles and trucks and vans loading/unloading and disability access vehicles. Not sure how you would block cars entering these streets, as most of them are already using bus lanes/
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2035
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:41 pm
Location: Adelaide CBD, SA

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by Patrick_27 »

ml69 wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 11:57 pm
1NEEDS2POST wrote:
Sat Sep 12, 2020 10:59 pm
It needs to happen. If Currie/Grenfell St changes to a bus only street, it would only need to be two lanes each way, so the footpaths could be widened.
And plant trees on both widened footpaths, and plant a row of trees down the middle of the street to soak up bus noise and fumes. Really green it up. Currie and Grenfell St barely have any street trees.
You're mistaking 'barely' for 'none'.
User avatar
ginzahikari
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 46
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:31 am
Location: Marion

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by ginzahikari »

I know this sounds far-fetched, but surely they need to leave space for trams to go through under the Adelink tram project.
rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by rubberman »

ginzahikari wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:25 pm
I know this sounds far-fetched, but surely they need to leave space for trams to go through under the Adelink tram project.
Buses and trams could use the same lane. There's no reason for separate tram and bus lanes.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by Eurostar »

All well and good to turn Currie/Grenfell Street into a transit mall but would that mean Gawler Place will turn into a cul de sac ?
User avatar
Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2510
Joined: Sun Aug 27, 2006 3:29 pm
Location: In your head

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by Ho Really »

I love the term "cul de sac"..."arse end of the sack".

This implies Gawler Place will be a pedestrian mall with only delivery and emergency service access.

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.
User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2913
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by SRW »

It need have no more impact to Gawler Place than to any of the other cross streets (Pultney, Frome etc), but it's worth noting Gawler Place is already a cul de sac -- it (rightly) stops dead at the mall.

Also, I doubt there's need to worry about trams. If there's ever a tram from Henley, it would more probably join a city loop at Morphett St rather than traverse the length of Currie/Grenfell.
Keep Adelaide Weird
rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by rubberman »

SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 am
It need have no more impact to Gawler Place than to any of the other cross streets (Pultney, Frome etc), but it's worth noting Gawler Place is already a cul de sac -- it (rightly) stops dead at the mall.

Also, I doubt there's need to worry about trams. If there's ever a tram from Henley, it would more probably join a city loop at Morphett St rather than traverse the length of Currie/Grenfell.
Again, what possible difference could it make? You simply run trams and buses in the same lane like is done elsewhere in the world...and should have been done on Port Road and North Terrace, taking buses out of the other lanes: a win for motorists, and for bus travellers who would get a faster ride.
User avatar
SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 2913
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:42 pm
Location: City

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by SRW »

rubberman wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 am
SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 am
It need have no more impact to Gawler Place than to any of the other cross streets (Pultney, Frome etc), but it's worth noting Gawler Place is already a cul de sac -- it (rightly) stops dead at the mall.

Also, I doubt there's need to worry about trams. If there's ever a tram from Henley, it would more probably join a city loop at Morphett St rather than traverse the length of Currie/Grenfell.
Again, what possible difference could it make? You simply run trams and buses in the same lane like is done elsewhere in the world...and should have been done on Port Road and North Terrace, taking buses out of the other lanes: a win for motorists, and for bus travellers who would get a faster ride.
I don't disagree. I just don't think Grenfell/Currie is the right corridor, being so near to the North Terrace route.
Keep Adelaide Weird
rubberman
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1362
Joined: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:32 pm
Location: ADL ex DRW, ASP, MGB

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by rubberman »

SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:16 am
rubberman wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:48 am
SRW wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:31 am
It need have no more impact to Gawler Place than to any of the other cross streets (Pultney, Frome etc), but it's worth noting Gawler Place is already a cul de sac -- it (rightly) stops dead at the mall.

Also, I doubt there's need to worry about trams. If there's ever a tram from Henley, it would more probably join a city loop at Morphett St rather than traverse the length of Currie/Grenfell.
Again, what possible difference could it make? You simply run trams and buses in the same lane like is done elsewhere in the world...and should have been done on Port Road and North Terrace, taking buses out of the other lanes: a win for motorists, and for bus travellers who would get a faster ride.
I don't disagree. I just don't think Grenfell/Currie is the right corridor, being so near to the North Terrace route.
Ah, fair call.
Saltwater
Sen-Rookie-Sational
Posts: 30
Joined: Wed May 30, 2018 3:07 pm
Location: Inner West

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by Saltwater »

Maybe in the longer term a bus-only tunnel underneath Currie and Greenfell streets would work. I think there is a similar concept in Seattle. Here it could link up with the Obahn tunnel that emerges near East Terrace, and carry people across the CBD with stops near Rundle Street, KWS for tram connections, near Leigh St for connections to the train, and a few other stops. In the west buses could then head to the airport, Henley Beach Road and Grange Roads with frequent services. This would free up space at ground level for cars, bikes and / or pedestrians, and hopefully allow for a few trees to be planted as well.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by Eurostar »

I know it would be a bit more walk for some but what if some bus routes used Franklin and Flinders Streets
Spotto
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 298
Joined: Wed May 15, 2019 9:05 pm

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by Spotto »

In addition to the new digital bus stop screen which was installed a while ago, the wind screens at FMC bus interchange have now been refurbished. The used to be cream with scratched up and stained plastic panels; they’ve been repainted and the panels brand new.
4B01A64B-1AAD-4887-9FFC-62402E9CA752.jpeg
User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5997
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by Norman »

Well, well overdue. The interchange should be moved to the new Flinders Station anyway.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Buses

Post by Eurostar »

Norman wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:20 am
Well, well overdue. The interchange should be moved to the new Flinders Station anyway.
By the looks of the animation there will be a bus stop under the viaduct on Main South Road
Post Reply