[COM] Southern Expressway Duplication | $445m | 22km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
mattblack
Legendary Member!

[COM] Re: #PRO: Southern Expressway duplication | $445m | 22km

#301 Post by mattblack » Mon Dec 05, 2011 10:36 am

Anyway on to more important things,

Here is the final design including cross sections and alignments. Construction due to start this month. YAY!

http://210.247.132.180/alt-host/assets/ ... n_maps.pdf

Wayno
VIP Member
VIP Member

#302 Post by Wayno » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:41 pm

I hope they replace the crappy timber retaining walls with concrete. Jeez they look cheap & nasty, with many planks falling away & missing.
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.

HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

#303 Post by HeapsGood » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:44 pm

the benefit of the cheap wooden walls is they keep the doushebag taggers away...not enough surface area to tag on...
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"

rhino
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#304 Post by rhino » Wed Dec 07, 2011 5:18 pm

Actually that's a big benefit!
cheers,
Rhino

skyliner

#305 Post by skyliner » Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:05 pm

Wayno wrote:I hope they replace the crappy timber retaining walls with concrete. Jeez they look cheap & nasty, with many planks falling away & missing.
Totally agree Wayno. Brisbane is full of these - a large amount is vandalised, then repainted and re vandalised etc. Rottening and darkening wood coupled with missing planks makes for much visual pollution as against the supposed gain of reducing noise pollution.Such barriers are a a vast waste of wood, many ending up uneven in height and at various angles to the vertical. Result - aesthetically very unappealing and needing costly repairs/replacements.

Concrete (with design - stamped etc) is FAR better. Building such walls so they are highly visible and out of reach of vandals is the way to go. (It can be done).
I hope Adelaide is never riddled with this new form of slum. (The ghastly wooden noise barriers).

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

[Shuz]

#306 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:17 am

Use factor: Twice a year.
Care factor: Zero.

:banana:
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

mokeystyley
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#307 Post by mokeystyley » Fri Dec 09, 2011 10:51 am

or you could work with graf/street artists to paint the concrete.
Rule of taggers is not to tag over another.
Commission art works and they will be left alone!
Check out under morphett st bridge etc

Nathan

#308 Post by Nathan » Fri Dec 09, 2011 11:09 am

mokeystyley wrote:or you could work with graf/street artists to paint the concrete.
Rule of taggers is not to tag over another.
Commission art works and they will be left alone!
Check out under morphett st bridge etc
Proper street artists don't go over each other, but taggers get crazy territorial. We got retaliation from some taggers when we did commissioned hoarding graphics at Adelaide Uni, who went around defacing as much of our work as possible.

Waewick

#309 Post by Waewick » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:06 pm

I would be quite happy to remove the trigger finger of every "tagger" caught in adealide

1st offence - 1 finger - 2nd offence the whole hand - it is the most pointless vandalism there is and people need to start paying a price for it - along with those morons who smash bus shelter glass.

skyliner

#310 Post by skyliner » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:15 pm

The vandals are a very real issue. As mentioned, in Bris the noise barriers would be covered in it, the local council/dept of main rds would paint out the graffiti, and it would be back again. Here in Adelaide Salisbury railway stn, when of wood/brick construction, was repainted every 2 weeks - and then it would be back again - repeat, repeat, repeat. This illustrates the point I was making about noise barriers - esp. if partly hidden giving graffiti artists cover while in action.

ADELAIDE - TOWARDS A GREATER CITY SKYLINE
Jack.

Aidan

#311 Post by Aidan » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:49 am

rhino wrote:Jim, if you consider that the roads coming in from the south include all 5 from Lonsdale Road to Shepherds Hill Road (that's an incredibly wide zone to draw from), then you must also accept that the roads heading north can include all the main roads from Brighton Road (Lonsdale road feeds into this) to Fullarton Road (traffic from Blackwood, where Shepherds Hill Road originates, can also come north via this route). So you have Brighton, Morphett, Marion, South, Goodwood, Belair/Unley, and Fullarton. That makes 7.

In practise, most Lonsdale Road traffic continues to Brighton Road, not South Road, and most Shepherds Hill Road traffic continues on to Sturt Road, not South Road. And these two routes make the case for induced demand.

Currently, city-bound traffic from Lonsdale Road uses (mainly) Brighton Road and Anzac Highway. Put a freeway down the South Road corridor and that Brighton/Anzac traffic will head for the freeway.
This isn't actually correct. The Brighton/Anzac traffic does not come from Lonsdale Road. Nearly all the City Bound traffic from Lonsdale Road uses Majors Road to get to South Road. But most traffic on Lonsdale Road is going to destinations other than the City.

Still, your main point stands: If South Road were a freeway, Lonsdale Road traffic would even use it to get to places such as the airport.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Jim Boukas
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#312 Post by Jim Boukas » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:06 pm

I've noticed the majority of my discussion regarding Induced Demand has been removed, I'm assuming this was done as the final conclusion was it does not apply to a north/south freeway from Darlington to Regency Park. So to the mediators of this thread, please advise a list of your opinions and we’ll just put out names to them. You know the “if I want your opinion I’ll give it to you approach”, ahh you got to love democracy. :banana:

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#313 Post by fabricator » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:48 am

Jim your reading too much into this.

It's just the moderators don't like you.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

[COM] #PRO: Southern Expressway duplication | $445m | 22km

#314 Post by dsriggs » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:29 pm

Also, message boards are not democracies.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#315 Post by Will » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:39 pm

Jim Boukas wrote:I've noticed the majority of my discussion regarding Induced Demand has been removed, I'm assuming this was done as the final conclusion was it does not apply to a north/south freeway from Darlington to Regency Park. So to the mediators of this thread, please advise a list of your opinions and we’ll just put out names to them. You know the “if I want your opinion I’ll give it to you approach”, ahh you got to love democracy. :banana:
I had a look through the moderator log for the last 2 months, and none of your posts have been deleted.