News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: Public transport smartcard system

#721 Post by Will » Thu Sep 20, 2012 8:57 pm

Tonsley213 wrote:No, but it has merit. Look at what Melbourne has to offer, then look at Adelaide in any month other than march.
Melbourne is also 4 times larger than us.

Equally I could say to you, look at what New York or London have to offer, and then look at Melbourne.

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#722 Post by Tonsley213 » Thu Sep 20, 2012 9:00 pm

True, I suppose the longer you live anywhere, less interesting it becomes.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#723 Post by crawf » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:07 am

Will wrote:
Tonsley213 wrote:Well it's not smart enough to not charge you when walking through the gate in ARS.

Visitors to the state that Would buy a daytrip for their very boring adventure in Adelaide would not have a smart card.

Why don't they make all the transport ticketing systems interchangeable with each other.
Was that really necessary? :roll:
+1

Moving on, heres the new metrocards

ImageImageImage

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#724 Post by Tonsley213 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:57 am

That picture is also missing the seniors card which will be built into their seniors card.

The blue cards are for Regular 2 hour tickets and 2 section tickets.
The green cards are for Consession 2 hour tickets, (I don't think these have a 2 section alternative.)
The Tan cards are for Student 2 hour tickets, same as above.
The seniors cards are for seniors (duh) and will provide free travel between 9:01 am and 3 pm weekdays and all day weekends?? and will conform to the rules of the free travel , eg the last validation must be before 3pm. Outside of the free hours it will charge the standard Consession 2 hour ticket

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#725 Post by ozisnowman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:39 am

Apparently card will cost you $25 and have only $5 credit included. You then better not lose those cards as they will cost you $20 not including credit every time you lose it. Government trying to rip off other patrons to recoup fare evasion costs?

Tonsley213
High Rise Poster!

#726 Post by Tonsley213 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:23 am

No the cards will cost $5 for adults and $3.50 consessions plus $5 for credit.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: ## General Public Transport thread

#727 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:14 am

Slightly off the current line of topic, but what do two-section tickets/fares/whatever actually achieve? What is their purpose? Particularly in Adelaide; it just seems like a way to make our transport system look more 'advanced' than it currently is.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

[Shuz]

#728 Post by [Shuz] » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:30 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:Slightly off the current line of topic, but what do two-section tickets/fares/whatever actually achieve? What is their purpose? Particularly in Adelaide; it just seems like a way to make our transport system look more 'advanced' than it currently is.
+1, I completely agree.

It's only purpose is to give people who are travelling no further than '2 sections' (a short trip, basically) a discount from the normal fare. How this is measured varies across the network, but its usually some sort of pre-fixed time/distance based mechanism - say 3 kilometres, 5 minutes - Don't take those figures as gospel, I'm not sure what it is, and thus, commuters travelling that small distance are entitled to a cheaper fare.

I think it's pointless, because I'd assume that a majority of commuters don't even know that it exists (I certainly didn't until a couple of years ago) and even still, knowing that it exists, still bought the regular fare ticket because it's just easier to do so, rather than trying to work out the mathematics of it all.

It's just pandering to the cheap of society.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#729 Post by muzzamo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:50 am

[Shuz] wrote:
The idea is to make it competitive with the car for shorter trips. Otherwise for trips to the shop etc the car is the clear winner, even taking into account indirect costs such as wear and tear etc.

And as for people using it, the oldies/retired are all over it - if there is a discount to be had, they know all about it.

Nathan

#730 Post by Nathan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:06 am

I use a 2 section ticket. It's not about "being cheap", but as Muzamo has stated, it makes it competitive against car trips. I live quite close to the city, so a full price fare is quite ridiculous for the distance travelled (I normally ride or walk, but will jump on the bus if it's pouring or have something heavy/awkward to carry). It's not based on a set distance or time, but as it says on the tin, "sections". Some stops are designated as section markers, and you're not supposed to pass more than 2 of them.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#731 Post by neoballmon » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:13 am

I don't use buses very often, and I didn't even know about any of this stuff. Just wondering, how exactly do I know which ticket I'm purchasing? Is the ticket purchased on board just a regular longer distance ticket? And I'd have to buy a short distance from a retailer? And what if I do get the cheaper one, and end up passing the 2 'sections'?
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#732 Post by jk1237 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:24 am

[Shuz] wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:Slightly off the current line of topic, but what do two-section tickets/fares/whatever actually achieve? What is their purpose? Particularly in Adelaide; it just seems like a way to make our transport system look more 'advanced' than it currently is.
+1, I completely agree.

It's only purpose is to give people who are travelling no further than '2 sections' (a short trip, basically) a discount from the normal fare. How this is measured varies across the network, but its usually some sort of pre-fixed time/distance based mechanism - say 3 kilometres, 5 minutes - Don't take those figures as gospel, I'm not sure what it is, and thus, commuters travelling that small distance are entitled to a cheaper fare.

I think it's pointless, because I'd assume that a majority of commuters don't even know that it exists (I certainly didn't until a couple of years ago) and even still, knowing that it exists, still bought the regular fare ticket because it's just easier to do so, rather than trying to work out the mathematics of it all.

retarded comment Shuz. I live in St Peters, just over a km from the city. Why would I pay the same price for a ticket to town as someone from Gawler or Noarlunga. Every PT system in the galaxy has cheaper tickets for short trips or zone tickets. The one thing you cant do on a 2 section trip is transfer, which is fair enough, but its suited me for years and years, and everyone I know in my area uses them.

Let me guess, all those that dont know much about the 2-sect trip dont live near the city, or have concession tickets anyway

Nathan

#733 Post by Nathan » Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:51 pm

neoballmon wrote:I don't use buses very often, and I didn't even know about any of this stuff. Just wondering, how exactly do I know which ticket I'm purchasing? Is the ticket purchased on board just a regular longer distance ticket? And I'd have to buy a short distance from a retailer? And what if I do get the cheaper one, and end up passing the 2 'sections'?
You can get 2 section single trip tickets on the bus, you just have to ask for one specifically. If you don't say "section ticket" or "2 section", then you'll be given a normal ticket. 2 section multi-trips are bought from outlets, just like any other multi-trip.
Nothing happens if you end up passing 2 sections, other than you are no longer are travelling on a valid fare - so risk getting done by inspectors, just like people travelling on concession tickets who shouldn't be or people with no ticket at all.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#734 Post by monotonehell » Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:31 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
+1, I completely agree.

Really? You don't know what it is, and therefore it's useless and for "the cheap of society"?

It's for people who are not travelling more than two sections, which is clearly marked on maps. Why would someone who is using the system for less than 15 minutes pay full fare which can get you travel for two hours? Or do you want everyone to jump in their car for short trips?

I have an idea. Why do we sell petrol in quantities of less than one full tank? People who can't do the math and arrive at the service station with a near empty tank are wasting time and money. It's just pandering to the cheap of society.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Splashmo
High Rise Poster!

#735 Post by Splashmo » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:11 pm

This is all new to me. I've never heard of a two section ticket. Could I have been taking the 861 all the way down Glen Osmond Road and only on a two section ticket?