News & Discussion: Public Transport Contracts, Service & Policy

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

Re: News & Discussion: Public Transport

#1546 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:39 pm

Spotted one of the new mobile ticket readers yesterday. It didn't respond to my MetroCard though, so I hope there won't be 2 separate systems.

Vee
Legendary Member!

#1547 Post by Vee » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:38 pm

Driverless shuttles coming to Adelaide?

Promotion in media/social media gives a glimpse of possible shuttles that could potentially add to the transport mix.
A collection of driverless shuttles is turning heads in the Adelaide Oval precinct. They're the next wave of vehicles preparing to enter Adelaide's public transport market.
https://twitter.com/TenNewsADEL/status/ ... 1966516226
via @TenNewsAdel

Another at Telstra Plaza, AO via @ADVIhub
https://twitter.com/ADVIhub/status/930573475038687232

More:
The 2017 International Driverless Vehicle Summit (Adelaide) at the Adelaide Convention Centre...
Running over two days, the second driverless vehicle summit is organised by Australia and New Zealand Driverless Vehicle Initiative (ADVI).

This year’s summit will explore the theme of translating technology to real-world deployment. Delegates will network with world-leading experts while learning about the latest results from national and international trials of driverless vehicle types.

Experts claim that driverless cars will bring economic benefits as high as $95 billion per annum, while creating as many as 16,000 new jobs. Even more important are the untold benefits implicit in the claim that driverless vehicles have the potential to eliminate 90 per cent of all crashes.
Motoring:
https://www.motoring.com.au/driverless- ... de-109821/

PeFe
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#1548 Post by PeFe » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:10 am

Winners of the send-in-a-photo-of South-Australia and Adelaide metro will put it on the Metrocard.
Some great pics!
From The 'Tiser

Winners of Metrocard photograph competition revealed

THEY are a welcome distraction from the drudgery of the daily commute; six uplifting images of South Australia gracing public transport Metrocards.

The Transport Department ordered a repeat of a competition to find winning photographic entries after the success of an inaugural round of pictorial designs replaced bland graphic design logos in February.

Winning images from 130 entries were Peter Michalak’s image of the Cockle Train, Luke Baade’s Piccaninnie Ponds, Ashley Hutchison’s River Murray at Bowhill, and Cindy Dennison’s Rundle Mall pigs. Craig Shillabeer had two winning entries — Sugarloaf Hallett Cove, and River Torrens.

Full article : http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sout ... 5a1985079e

Nathan

#1549 Post by Nathan » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:09 am

$50 Metrocard credit for the "winners"? What an exploitive crock of shit.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#1550 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:37 am

That's probably all they can afford :hilarious: :hilarious:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

[Shuz]

#1551 Post by [Shuz] » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 am

But they can afford a $160m bus tunnel?

Yeah, right.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1552 Post by Goodsy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:26 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 am

Yeah, right.
I'm curious to read the entire business case for that tunnel. 3 minutes off each trip is pretty massive when you consider that each route on the o-bahn has a 15 minute frequency. $50 is a bit stingy though, there should be another 0 on the end

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#1553 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Nov 27, 2017 10:41 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 am

Yeah, right.
The bus tunnel will be of more public benefit than a couple of photos on a Metrocard though.

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#1554 Post by Westside » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm

Why is everyone still doubting the business case for the bus tunnel? Reducing the biggest choke point on the most popular commuter line in the state. Makes sense to me. Plus $160M is tiny compared with other infrastructure projects.

Why wasn't there equal outrage at the expense of, say, the Bakewell underpass. Could have just re-done the bridge at a fraction of the cost as a level crossing. Would have added less than 3 mins to that commute and saved a few quid. </tongue in cheek>

Nice photos tho! Although $50 is a bit stingy. Having said that, these ppl entered their photos knowing that.

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#1555 Post by Torrens_5022 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:54 pm

Why aren't there any photo Metrocards for concession cards or student cards? The type of card is written on it and shows up when scanned to check if its validated.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#1556 Post by Goodsy » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:11 pm

Westside wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm
Why is everyone still doubting the business case for the bus tunnel? Reducing the biggest choke point on the most popular commuter line in the state. Makes sense to me. Plus $160M is tiny compared with other infrastructure projects.

Why wasn't there equal outrage at the expense of, say, the Bakewell underpass. Could have just re-done the bridge at a fraction of the cost as a level crossing. Would have added less than 3 mins to that commute and saved a few quid. </tongue in cheek>

Nice photos tho! Although $50 is a bit stingy. Having said that, these ppl entered their photos knowing that.
I don't think there are many doubters now. In 10 years the same doubters will be blaming the government for taking the cheap option instead of tunneling the entire length of Hackney road. I'm just cruious about the smaller details, like how much diesel is saved from taking 12 minutes off one route every hour

PeFe

#1557 Post by PeFe » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:11 pm

Free public transport on Christmas day.
Public transport for Christmas, New Years and everything in between!
Catch free public transport on Christmas Day and New Year's Eve!
For the first time, Adelaide Metro passengers will travel free on Christmas Day.

Free trains, trams and buses will operate all day from first to last service on Christmas Day, Monday 25 December.

Catch free public transport services on Christmas Day for a safer, cheaper and easier way to get to and from celebrations without the hassle of having to drive.

All buses, train and trams will operate to a Sunday and public holiday timetable on Christmas Day.

Passengers can find out exactly when their bus, train or tram will arrive through the free metroMATE app available for Apple and Android. The app can also be used to plan a journey including walking distances.

Extra trains for extended shopping hours
With extended trading hours in the city over the Christmas and New Year's period, extra trains will run to cater for shoppers and retail staff.

The 9.30pm Seaford and 9.20pm Gawler train from Adelaide will run in addition to regular weekday services on the following days:

- Monday 18 December

- Tuesday 19 December

- Wednesday 20 December

- Thursday 21 December

- Wednesday 27 December

- Thursday 28 December

Extra trams on Boxing Day
Extra tram capacity will be provided on Boxing Day for all trams heading into the city between 10.30am and 12.30pm, and for tram services out of the city fcrom 4pm to 5pm. Jump on board and grab yourself a bargain at the Boxing Day Sales!

Free services on New Year's Eve
Catch free services from 5pm to dawn on New Year's Eve.

Reduced services for Christmas and New Year
Public transport services will be reduced between Saturday 23 December and Tuesday 2 January.

Patronage on public transport services during this period is significantly lower than normal so a number of bus services will not operate, with train services operating to their normal timetable but with a reduced number of carriages. Tram services will remain unchanged.

Trains

Seaford train

23-26 December and 30 December-1 January Weekend & public holiday timetable

27-29 December Weekday timetable

Tonsley train

Tonsley trains do not run on weekends and public holidays

Gawler train

Belair train

27-29 December Line closed - see B1 substitute bus timetable

Outer Harbor and Grange substitute buses

23-26 December and 30 December-2 January Weekend & public holiday timetable

Trams

23-2 January Weekend & public holiday timetable

Extra services 26 December - 10.30am - 12.30pm to city - 4pm - 5pm from city

Buses

East-West

View the reduced services timetables

North-South, Outer North, Outer North East, Outer South and Hills buses

27-29 December Weekend and public holiday timetable

See the included note in your timetable for affected services

https://www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announ ... -transport

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1558 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Westside wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:30 pm

I don't think there are many doubters now. In 10 years the same doubters will be blaming the government for taking the cheap option instead of tunneling the entire length of Hackney road. I'm just cruious about the smaller details, like how much diesel is saved from taking 12 minutes off one route every hour
Caught the bus into and out of the city today. The 502 from para hills west goes direct but I have to catch the C2 out and wait at Paradise for a 502.
Two trips on the o-Bahn.
Time Paradise/City Cross arcade: 12:30.
Time City cross/Paradise13:00 ( roadworks truck blocking a u-turn bay on hackney rd had the driver slowing right down) :(
Average time 12 minutes
Time spent waiting at Paradise interchange for the 502 on the outward journey: 10 minutes.
I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Lucky the weather was good today. When it isn’t Paradise I/C is a desolate windswept shithole to spend anytime waiting. Most of the seating seems to be put in the open and there’s no wind breaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#1559 Post by adelaide transport » Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:47 pm

During the day Monday to Fridays the 502 runs to and from the City.

Kasey771
Legendary Member!

#1560 Post by Kasey771 » Tue Dec 19, 2017 2:08 pm

adelaide transport wrote:During the day Monday to Fridays the 502 runs to and from the City.
Thanks. I usually catch the bus on the weekends so stuck to what I knew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Big infrastructure investments are usually under-valued and & over-criticized while in the planning stage. It's much easier to envision the here and now costs and inconveniences, and far more difficult to imagine fully the eventual benefits.