News & Discussion: National Broadband Network

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: National Broadband Network

#646 Post by NTRabbit » Tue May 18, 2021 12:25 am

What the entire network should have been in the first place, what a shock. No need to stall it anymore now that Murdoch has Kayo up and running.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#647 Post by I Follow PAFC » Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:43 pm

300,000 more homes and businesses to become eligible for nbn fibre upgrade by ordering selected higher speed plans.https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-info ... peed-plans
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#648 Post by I Follow PAFC » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:14 pm

Attachments
276998569_272965151693969_2482285016541102370_n.jpg
276998260_272965198360631_3517712856276605187_n.jpg

Archer
High Rise Poster!

#649 Post by Archer » Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:53 pm

So this isn't a General upgrade to FttP for the listed suburbs, you have to elect to upgrade to a plan based on "Home Fast" (100Mbps) if you're on FttN or "Home Super Fast" (200Mbps?) if you're already on FttC, in order to get the upgrade?

Ahhh... what about people who can't afford that, are happy with the speeds they have, but want the greater reliability of FttP so that their internet doesn't drop out every time it rains because the copper got wet again. (I use this example as I know people with exactly this problem, and still not in one of the listed suburbs to be eligable for this anyway).

So still not getting the proper network we should have, just the network for those who can afford to pay extra.

ralmin
Gold-Member ;)

#650 Post by ralmin » Thu Mar 24, 2022 12:05 am

While working from home, the speed at which you can upload and download files from work servers really matters. On FTTN, I'm currently paying $110/month to get 100 Mbps down and 40 Mbps up. I'd be happy to pay $50/month more, so $160/month total, if it gave me a stable gigabit connection. If it was available in my suburb I would sign up for this FTTP upgrade in a heartbeat.

The only thing I'd be unhappy about is that the residential "Ultrafast" is a 1000/50 plan, that is, it's locked to only 50 Mbps upstream. NBN are so stingy with upload speed. Download speed is important, but upload speed is also important, for high quality video calls, and for quickly sharing large audio/video files with colleagues. Fibre is a symmetric medium; there should be no technical reason why they can't provide the same bandwidth up and down.

Sure, they have business plans with more upstream bandwidth, such as 500/200 or even 1000/400, but they are too expensive... those will run you at least $300 or $400 per month. That's reasonable for an office with several people, not for a single person working from home. They're artificially price-segmenting, making businesses pay more for plans with more upload, to subsidise residential plans with less upload.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#651 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:35 am

One million additional homes and businesses to become eligible for full fibre.
https://www.nbnco.com.au/corporate-info ... full-fibre

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#652 Post by Nort » Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:35 am

claybro wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:06 pm
rubberman wrote:If I were political about this, and an ALP supporter, I would be hugging myself with glee. This is 'workchoices' all over again. If the ALP catches the public mood on this, they might yet haul their backsides out of the fire. The only way the Coalition can avoid another workchoices debacle is to do a 180 on this. My interest is technical and financial only. personally I hope the Coalition 'gets it' on this issue before it is too late.
Are you serious? Do you think the many hundreds of people losing thier jobs daily in Australia currently, or the small business owners hanging on by their fingernails give a flyinfg"F" about broadband right now? Ask anyone on the street if they think we should be spending 40 billion on cable, and see the response. Regardless of if world economics or government policy is making people very uneasy about the future, one thing for certain, voters are going to punish the current government.
claybro wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:36 pm
[
Shahkar wrote:

Uh what you're forgetting is that in small businesses or any business, slow internet may may be the cause of frustration. That will reduce productivity. So yes, people care. It depends on who you ask on the street as well. I'm still shocked you choose to ignore all the information provided to you.
Information provided by which post? I get my information from speaking with people in the telecommunications industry and from the internet like everyone else. Some of the information parroted here is directly copied from the NBN/ government sites and is therefore not trustworthy. As for people on the street, without fail everyone I have spoken to at work this week is concerned about 1. How quiet there companys are.2 How workers are being forced to take anual leave. 3. How much thier costs have increased (rent electricity etc.).... The broadband did not come up in converstion even once. So the previous post about some kind of Labour revival on the back of NBN is completely out of touch and just re-inforces the politicisation of the whole subject.
Whenever this thread is bumped it's always a fun reminder of how the 2020 on period thoroughly destroyed, ground into the earth, and built a park over the arguments people were making a decade ago that there was no value in ensuring that pretty much every household has access to high speed internet.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#653 Post by rev » Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:25 am

Archer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:53 pm
So this isn't a General upgrade to FttP for the listed suburbs, you have to elect to upgrade to a plan based on "Home Fast" (100Mbps) if you're on FttN or "Home Super Fast" (200Mbps?) if you're already on FttC, in order to get the upgrade?

Ahhh... what about people who can't afford that, are happy with the speeds they have, but want the greater reliability of FttP so that their internet doesn't drop out every time it rains because the copper got wet again. (I use this example as I know people with exactly this problem, and still not in one of the listed suburbs to be eligable for this anyway).

So still not getting the proper network we should have, just the network for those who can afford to pay extra.
My ISP recently rang me to offer me the new upgrade.
They offer it to you as if it's actually free. But if you press them for more information, and ask some key questions, they'll tell you that it's likely going to cost you.
It all depends on if the NBN techs are able to do a straightforward job as to how much its going to cost.
Whose going to pay for the fibre to be brought into your property? You are, I was told.
I asked where's it all going to be located? I was told depends where the techs are able to put it all.

It's not actually free as they advertise.

Fibre into the home is what SHOUD have been rolled out to begin with, as was planned under Labor, until Turnbull fucked it all up.
Thanks a lot you multi-millionaire cunt with your harborside mansion. :lol:

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#654 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:00 am

rev wrote:
Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:25 am
Archer wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 5:53 pm

My ISP recently rang me to offer me the new upgrade.
They offer it to you as if it's actually free. But if you press them for more information, and ask some key questions, they'll tell you that it's likely going to cost you.
It all depends on if the NBN techs are able to do a straightforward job as to how much its going to cost.
Whose going to pay for the fibre to be brought into your property? You are, I was told.
I asked where's it all going to be located? I was told depends where the techs are able to put it all.

It's not actually free as they advertise.

Fibre into the home is what SHOUD have been rolled out to begin with, as was planned under Labor, until Turnbull fucked it all up.
Thanks a lot you multi-millionaire cunt with your harborside mansion. :lol:
Agree, but you can thank Uncle Rupert above anyone else.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.