[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
how good is he
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1163
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:26 am

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by how good is he »

Well done Norman, great video. What does the forum think will be the average time to travel it a) when all the current work is finished b) when “one day” it’s all finished ie all non stop?
Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by Goodsy »

how good is he wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:15 am
Well done Norman, great video. What does the forum think will be the average time to travel it a) when all the current work is finished b) when “one day” it’s all finished ie all non stop?
If you can do the speed limit the whole way It should be doable in under an hour
mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 am

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by mawsonguy »

Goodsy wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:54 am
If you can do the speed limit the whole way It should be doable in under an hour
My calculations, using Google Maps are as follows:
Image
Of course, Google Maps does not yet show the Northern Connector so the distance from Horrocks Highawy, Gawler to the Superway is inaccurate but it appears to me that the distance will not change much.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Contact:

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by ChillyPhilly »

PRExy to Regency Road will be 90, but further south to SExy will be 80.

Also, the speed limit for SExy is 100.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.
mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 am

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by mawsonguy »

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:26 am
PRExy to Regency Road will be 90, but further south to SExy will be 80.

Also, the speed limit for SExy is 100.
Amended times are as follows:

Image

Note that there was an arithmetical error in my previous post. The time for the segment from PREXY to SEXY start should have been 11.5 minutes giving a total time of 44.55 minutes. It can be seen that minor changes in speed limits don't have much of an effect. The major change occurs through the elimination of traffic lights and consequent traffic buildup.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by Goodsy »

mawsonguy wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:13 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:26 am
PRExy to Regency Road will be 90, but further south to SExy will be 80.

Also, the speed limit for SExy is 100.
Amended times are as follows:

Image

Note that there was an arithmetical error in my previous post. The time for the segment from PREXY to SEXY start should have been 11.5 minutes giving a total time of 44.55 minutes. It can be seen that minor changes in speed limits don't have much of an effect. The major change occurs through the elimination of traffic lights and consequent traffic buildup.
So a spirited individual could get that time down to around 30 minutes, what would the total time be if NExY and NorCon were 130kph?
mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 176
Joined: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:11 am

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by mawsonguy »

Goodsy wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:34 am
So a spirited individual could get that time down to around 30 minutes, what would the total time be if NExY and NorCon were 130kph?
30 min = 155.6kph average speed. That's not "spirited" - that's just plain stupid. If you want to really fantasize, how about a V8 supercar on a closed road = 16.6 minutes or a Formula 1 car = 14.5 min.

If NEXY and NorCon were 130kpm that would save only 3.4 minutes.
User avatar
HeapsGood
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon May 10, 2010 10:54 am
Location: At the Adelaide Airport thankfully now not having to use a Dyson Airblade

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by HeapsGood »

I wonder if they will change the 80 kmh limit downhill on the SEXY once the Darlington exchange is finished...
*Looks at Dyson Airblade Factory* "I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure"
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Contact:

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by ChillyPhilly »

HeapsGood wrote:I wonder if they will change the 80 kmh limit downhill on the SEXY once the Darlington exchange is finished...
Good question. Depends on how safe or unsafe that gradient is. It drops from 80 to 70 at present.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.
Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 228
Joined: Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:34 am

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by Torrens_5022 »

Why would they change the 80 zone if the next 10 to 15km is going to be an 80 zone?
Google maps says the current 80km (ish) trip takes 67mins, the Northern Connector would save you about 3mins, the big time saving is like 20min between Darlington and Regency Rd.
Eurostar
Legendary Member!
Posts: 737
Joined: Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:44 pm

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by Eurostar »

Torrens_5022 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:49 pm
Why would they change the 80 zone if the next 10 to 15km is going to be an 80 zone?
Google maps says the current 80km (ish) trip takes 67mins, the Northern Connector would save you about 3mins, the big time saving is like 20min between Darlington and Regency Rd.
The Northern Connector will also provide an alternative to Port Wakefield Highway especially in peak periods whereby traffic is usually slower or when there is a incident on Port Wakefield Highway. A week or two ago I saw traffic banked up a long way, from Waterloo Corner to Cavan because of one accident.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1855
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:35 pm
Location: Adder-Laid, South Australia.
Contact:

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by ChillyPhilly »

Eurostar wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:01 pm
Torrens_5022 wrote:
Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:49 pm
Why would they change the 80 zone if the next 10 to 15km is going to be an 80 zone?
Google maps says the current 80km (ish) trip takes 67mins, the Northern Connector would save you about 3mins, the big time saving is like 20min between Darlington and Regency Rd.
The Northern Connector will also provide an alternative to Port Wakefield Highway especially in peak periods whereby traffic is usually slower or when there is a incident on Port Wakefield Highway. A week or two ago I saw traffic banked up a long way, from Waterloo Corner to Cavan because of one accident.
Correct. Also the true purpose of the whole corridor is to serve freight movements and attract them away from other local roads.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.
Goodsy
Legendary Member!
Posts: 1024
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:39 am

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by Goodsy »

T2T is 3 months ahead of schedule, $95m under budget and opening by September. according to 7 News
User avatar
Llessur2002
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 1574
Joined: Mon Mar 17, 2014 4:59 pm
Location: West Croydon

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by Llessur2002 »

Goodsy wrote:
Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:55 pm
T2T is 3 months ahead of schedule, $95m under budget and opening by September. according to 7 News
:applause:

As someone who lives very close to the project area I can't say I've been anything other than extremely impressed with the way that this project has been managed - it has been seamless. The communication with local residents has been second to none. This should really be the blueprint for all future large infrastructure projects in SA.
Waewick
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 3553
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2008 1:39 pm

[U/C] Re: News & Discussion: South Road / North-South Corridor

Post by Waewick »

So what can that $95m go to? Additional works on the corridor?

Or goes back to the feds?
Post Reply