[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4726 Post by SBD » Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:01 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:03 pm

Yes, technology can probably solve it, but is it worth it?
If a local or national engineering firm can solve whatever issue there is, and it hasn't been done before, then yes, absolutely it is worth it. For several reasons, not least of which financially. There would be other places around the world which probably have similar circumstances. Imagine a local Adelaide firm going global and doing that engineering work around the world. Think of it this way, there's very few companies from even fewer countries that can do deep sea drilling and oil/gas extraction.
A lot of Chinese mega projects, and even some in the Arab world, have used Australian engineers and firms.

But I'm going off topic here so yeh, it will probably come down to cost. Unless Canberra turns the screws and says you're building a tunnel and we're putting up more funding for it, I don't think we will get a tunnel as much as I want one lol. Unfortunately it'll continue to be a mix-match like the already built/uc sections.
I think all of the engineering companies with the experience and expertise to do it now are national or international conglomerates. York Civil might have been the last SA one with a chance. LR&M Constructions might be close.

On the other hand, if the plan is short cut-and-cover tunnels but there are a few heritage buildings in the way, Mammoth Movers is SA based and claims to have the ability to move masonry buildings out of the way.

claybro

#4727 Post by claybro » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:01 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 8:01 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:24 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 2:03 pm

Yes, technology can probably solve it, but is it worth it?
If a local or national engineering firm can solve whatever issue there is, and it hasn't been done before, then yes, absolutely it is worth it. For several reasons, not least of which financially. There would be other places around the world which probably have similar circumstances. Imagine a local Adelaide firm going global and doing that engineering work around the world. Think of it this way, there's very few companies from even fewer countries that can do deep sea drilling and oil/gas extraction.
A lot of Chinese mega projects, and even some in the Arab world, have used Australian engineers and firms.

But I'm going off topic here so yeh, it will probably come down to cost. Unless Canberra turns the screws and says you're building a tunnel and we're putting up more funding for it, I don't think we will get a tunnel as much as I want one lol. Unfortunately it'll continue to be a mix-match like the already built/uc sections.
I think all of the engineering companies with the experience and expertise to do it now are national or international conglomerates. York Civil might have been the last SA one with a chance. LR&M Constructions might be close.

On the other hand, if the plan is short cut-and-cover tunnels but there are a few heritage buildings in the way, Mammoth Movers is SA based and claims to have the ability to move masonry buildings out of the way.
The previous Labor plan involved a short tunnel under the heritage precinct in Thebarton. So whatever political party or plan comes to fruition, the HBR area will always be a tunnel-either part of a much longer tunnel, or a stand alone section of tunnel. There will be no need to be rolling Thebby Theatre out of the way. Yes there are other places in the world with similar geological conditions as Adelaide, and many firms would easily tackle any issues that arise. It is just extremely cost and time prohibitive. I just can't see how a tunnel covering the whole remaining stretch is viable, or even necessary. It is a political ploy by the Libs.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4728 Post by Eurostar » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 am

I looked at Google Map Satelitte view of the Superway, looked at the width, i got rougly 50 metres. Looked at what side to go with to get that width between Edwardstown and Tonsley pub. I say go with west side between Delaine Avenue and south of Celtic Avenue, the former Hills area could be used for "South Hub" (or whatever they want to call it).

Motorway interchange should be at Daws Road.
as for a Raglan/Edward Street interchange if they want to do that it'll be best to grade separate the Raglan Avenue level crossing at same time.

ChillyPhilly

#4729 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:22 am

Eurostar wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:28 am
I looked at Google Map Satelitte view of the Superway, looked at the width, i got rougly 50 metres. Looked at what side to go with to get that width between Edwardstown and Tonsley pub. I say go with west side between Delaine Avenue and south of Celtic Avenue, the former Hills area could be used for "South Hub" (or whatever they want to call it).

as for a Raglan/Edward Street interchange if they want to do that it'll be best to grade separate the Raglan Avenue level crossing at same time.
I believe the preference for an elevated road through Edwardstown is to the east of South Road (hence the new Bunnings being built on the west).
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4730 Post by Eurostar » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:11 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:22 am
Eurostar wrote:

I believe the preference for an elevated road through Edwardstown is to the east of South Road (hence the new Bunnings being built on the west).
Would that be wise considering it'll be close to houses whereas the westside the houses are not as close so a sound wall and trees can easily reduce noise.

By the way i thought of Bunnings and whether the motorway it could cross over to the east at castle plaza area pass Bunnings then back over to west south of Bunnings.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4731 Post by SRW » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:37 pm

Isn’t the Maid of Auckland (west side) heritage listed?
Keep Adelaide Weird

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4732 Post by rev » Wed Aug 05, 2020 7:55 pm

Eurostar wrote:

There's no way its 50m wide unless you're including the bits of South Road below/to the sides.
Google Maps also is distorted for that sort of thing because its not a true top view right across if that makes sense.

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#4733 Post by how good is he » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:19 pm

A motorway of 2 x 3 lanes plus median is say a 21m width. Allowing for 2 at grade service roads, footpaths, landscaping etc the min. width needed is say 30m?

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4734 Post by rogue » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am

I think there was some sort of DPTI conference on Monday and there was a bit more detail on the proposals for the final section for North South Corridor. It is now down to 2 options:

Option 1 - Open Motorway
A combination of at-grade, short tunnels, lowered and elevated motorway as seen on other parts of the North-South Corridor.

Option 2 - Hybrid
Has the same at-grade and lowered motorway design between James Congdon Drive (Mile End South) and Edward Street (Edwardstown) with tunnels at the northern and southern ends.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4735 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:21 am

rogue wrote:I think there was some sort of DPTI conference on Monday and there was a bit more detail on the proposals for the final section for North South Corridor. It is now down to 2 options:

Option 1 - Open Motorway
A combination of at-grade, short tunnels, lowered and elevated motorway as seen on other parts of the North-South Corridor.

Option 2 - Hybrid
Has the same at-grade and lowered motorway design between James Congdon Drive (Mile End South) and Edward Street (Edwardstown) with tunnels at the northern and southern ends.
So tunnels from Torrens to James Congdon, then from Edwardstown all the way to Darlington.

They needed a conference for this? At least the long tunnel option is seemingly buried (pun intended).
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#4736 Post by mattwinter » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:14 pm

Seems a bit more sensible to pick what's right for each stretch rather than just one long tunnel. Be interesting to see what the Cross Road interchange ends up looking like / what they do with that.

urban
Legendary Member!

#4737 Post by urban » Thu Aug 06, 2020 5:04 pm

how good is he wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:19 pm
A motorway of 2 x 3 lanes plus median is say a 21m width. Allowing for 2 at grade service roads, footpaths, landscaping etc the min. width needed is say 30m?
Measuring off NearMap, the T2T portion ranges from 60m wide to 70m wide footpath to footpath. Landscaping and sound walls are outside this. There is no reason to think that the remaining sections would be built any narrower.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4738 Post by Eurostar » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:13 pm

rogue wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:13 am
I think there was some sort of DPTI conference on Monday and there was a bit more detail on the proposals for the final section for North South Corridor. It is now down to 2 options:

Option 1 - Open Motorway

Option 2 - Hybrid
Good to hear. With unemployment the way it is in South Australia we need more road projects that are shovel ready asap

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4739 Post by Eurostar » Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:46 pm

FB_IMG_1596712494616.jpg

The $354.3 million Regency Road to Pym Street (R2P) Project has reached a major milestone with traffic to be realigned to the new South Road surface roads. The traffic switch will allow for the commencement of works on South Road to construct the structures to support the Regency Road overpass, while allowing traffic to continue travelling through the R2P project area.

Works will commence on Thursday, 6 August from 7pm-6am to realign northbound traffic, north of Regency Road to the new South Road surface road and then continuously from 7pm Friday until 7pm Sunday. From Monday, 10 August, traffic will be realigned to the new South Road surface roads.

Works will include:

• Opening the U-turns on South Road near Tikalara Street and Hudson Avenue, including opening a pedestrian crossing at the U-turn near Hudson Avenue;
• Removal of the east-west through movement along Pym Street across South Road (from Friday night) – refer to map
• Removal of right turns from South Road to Regency Road (Saturday night) – refer to map
• Opening a temporary bus only hook-turn from Regency Road onto South Road, for the new bus routes along South Road.

On Saturday, 8 August, from 10pm to 9am, there will be a temporary closure of the (southbound) North-South Motorway and South Road, between Grand Junction Road and Pym Street. For further information about traffic management arrangements during the traffic switch, please visit: https://r2palliance.com.au/project/late ... fic-switch

To accommodate the changes at Pym Street, bus routes that currently cross South Road at Pym Street (230, 232 and 232R), will be permanently re-routed from Monday 10 August. More information: www.adelaidemetro.com.au/Announcements2 ... ble-change

rogue
Donating Member
Donating Member

#4740 Post by rogue » Thu Aug 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Thu Aug 06, 2020 8:13 pm
Good to hear. With unemployment the way it is in South Australia we need more road projects that are shovel ready asap
Sadly, construction isn't scheduled to commence until 2024

More info: https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... iefing.pdf