[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4891 Post by bits » Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:13 pm

how good is he wrote:So basically you are saying the Govt will give with one hand if it can get it back with another... at a later stage.
The Government exists for you.
Governments should only take enough money to spend on things that net improve our lives.

If the upgraded road would not give back what we put in, then why build it?
I think the road would be great but a new hospital would also be great. Less taxes would be great. Subsidies for local built electric cars would be great.
I hope I have voted the right people that create and influence departments to work out these complex problems to come up with the best way forwards.

Sent from my Xperia XZ2 using Tapatalk

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4892 Post by claybro » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:29 pm

bits wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 3:13 pm
The Government exists for you.
Governments should only take enough money to spend on things that net improve our lives.

If the upgraded road would not give back what we put in, then why build it?
I think the road would be great but a new hospital would also be great. Less taxes would be great. Subsidies for local built electric cars would be great.
I hope I have voted the right people that create and influence departments to work out these complex problems to come up with the best way forwards.

Sent from my Xperia XZ2 using Tapatalk
Given SA has one of the most expensive hospitals in the world, but the worst road system of any of the mainland capitals, I would say its time to build the road. -Thats not to say do not continue to maintain and expand health services where required, but the road will generate savings in time and money for transport related activities-which flow on to virtually every aspect of our lives...including health. So yes-the North/South route is vital to SA's economy in whatever form it takes.

bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4893 Post by bits » Wed Oct 28, 2020 7:38 pm

I would think the economics would add up but the story being told is that numbers don't add up. If its true then I suppose you can challenge the numbers but perhaps the numbers have been challenge several times already.

Worst road network?
Easier navigation, lower congestion, no toll roads.. Works for me.
Hospital wait times in SA are terrible.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#4894 Post by rev » Thu Oct 29, 2020 7:21 pm

Who says it doesn't add up?
Is this like the self interest group who claimed it would cost $14 billion?

How can it not be a benefit?

Improved travel efficiency. Time is money. That applies especially to the transport industry.

Nearby roads will have congestion eased. That means less road maintenance and repairs by less use. Money saved.

Safety will be improved. Many accidents happen at intersections.

Environmental impact will be lessened.

The economic benefit of connecting our northern & southern regions with the city.

Not completing this final section will cause greater and greater congestion and bottlenecks. It will get to the point where the existing built motorway has no beneficial savings in travel time.

Only an absolute fool of the highest order would think that not finishing the corridor was a viable option.

Did I miss anything?

How is this even a discussion? has this forum been infiltrated by the do nothing Liberal party and fringe groups opposed to developments?

Here's another thing to consider.
We're in a recession. The state gov has low debt, its arouns 10% of our GSP. Realistically it can borrow much more and still have a comfortable and manageable debt/GSP ratio.
This project, if it takes closer to ten years like they say will sustain thousands of jobs not just directly but indirectly.
Its economic stimulus. Thousands of people getting paid, spending money in the local ecomomy. In bakeries, at service stations, supermarkets, etc. Keeps those other businesses open, people employed.
That creates revenue for government and council. Revenue thats needed to keep services online.

SBD

#4895 Post by SBD » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Labor had a "strategy" to complete the N-S Motorway in ten years from 2013. Presumably even if there were four years wasted (2018-2022) while Liberal was in government, Labor should be promising to have it finished by 2027 and blaming Liberal for the delay. I don't think this will happen.

Whoever builds the middle bit is bound to be unpopular with the locals, especially during construction, but possibly long afterward. They also have to be able to show that planning has started to connect it to the South Eastern Freeway. I doubt it matters what route that takes, anything from GlobeLink via Truro to Globelink Short South near Echunga or tunnels either under Cross Road or through Brown Hill and Springfield.

Patrick_27

#4896 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm

SBD wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:14 pm
Labor had a "strategy" to complete the N-S Motorway in ten years from 2013. Presumably even if there were four years wasted (2018-2022) while Liberal was in government, Labor should be promising to have it finished by 2027 and blaming Liberal for the delay. I don't think this will happen.

Whoever builds the middle bit is bound to be unpopular with the locals, especially during construction, but possibly long afterward. They also have to be able to show that planning has started to connect it to the South Eastern Freeway. I doubt it matters what route that takes, anything from GlobeLink via Truro to Globelink Short South near Echunga or tunnels either under Cross Road or through Brown Hill and Springfield.
Why? Apart a select few people on this forum, the freight council and it's affiliates, I don't think anyone gives a shit about a east-west connector between S/E Freeway and South Road.

SBD

#4897 Post by SBD » Thu Oct 29, 2020 11:14 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm
SBD wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:14 pm

Why? Apart a select few people on this forum, the freight council and it's affiliates, I don't think anyone gives a shit about a east-west connector between S/E Freeway and South Road.
Well, there are also the people who live or go to school near Portrush Road and people who care about trucks failing to stop at the traffic lights in Glen Osmond.

It's not just about an east-west connection across the southern suburbs, it's about a connection between the Port (and nearby industry) and Murray Bridge, the southeastern part of the state and Victoria. We all pay indirectly for inefficient freight.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#4898 Post by Spotto » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:12 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:24 pm
Putting freight to the side for just a moment, have you driven on Cross Road during peak time? You move at a reasonable pace from Unley Road to SEF but it’s ruined in the middle by always stopping behind the backed up cars at Fullarton Road. Goodwood to Unley Road is the worst section with the dog leg intersection at Victoria Avenue plus the train line, you always get caught on one of them. If you’re lucky you’ll get caught by both.

That’s before NSM is finished. When the Torrens to Darlington section is finished someday traffic along NSM will increase which will consequently increase traffic on Cross Road. NSM will be THE arterial Road through Adelaide, the link between it and the SEF will be crucial.

Bob
High Rise Poster!

#4899 Post by Bob » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 am

When the NS MW is completed, freight on the Melbourne-Perth freight corridor via Adelaide, (regardless if that freight is stopping in Adelaide or passing through), will take the shortest/fastest/most economical route, and that will be the 6KM stretch of Cross Road joining the SE FW to the new NS MW.

It is then up to the various layers of Government to decide if they will be OK with the increased heavy traffic on Cross Road and the social fallout that comes with it, or if they want to fund a better alternative. In other words, are they comfortable moving the existing heavy freight problem from Portrush & Hampstead Roads to Cross Road? If so fine, if not - then get an alternative on the drawing board quick smart.

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#4900 Post by croweater888 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:08 am

The answer to this rise congestion was in the KPMG report. It was called 'Short South', a 1 billion dollar freight route through Eden Hills and St Marys that connects the SEF with the NSC at the Darlington end.

It was costed by KPMG and deemed viable. All of the other alternatives, Short North, a tunnel from the SE freeway, these were deemed financially unviable.

Llessur2002

#4901 Post by Llessur2002 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am

croweater888 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:08 am
The answer to this rise congestion was in the KPMG report. It was called 'Short South', a 1 billion dollar freight route through Eden Hills and St Marys that connects the SEF with the NSC at the Darlington end.

It was costed by KPMG and deemed viable. All of the other alternatives, Short North, a tunnel from the SE freeway, these were deemed financially unviable.
Here's the report:

https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... s_Case.pdf

SBD

#4902 Post by SBD » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Llessur2002 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:21 am
croweater888 wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:08 am

Here's the report:

https://dpti.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/pd ... s_Case.pdf
Is there anyone on this list old enough to remember the planning and construction of the South Eastern Freeway, particularly Stirling to past Mount Barker? I wonder if there was enthusiasm for a better transport route to the southeast and Victoria, or outcries about building a freeway through prime farmland?

Short South looks like it goes through more scenic and productive farmland (dairy, grapes, market gardens, orchards) than any of the other proposals.

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#4903 Post by Eurostar » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:30 pm

To think over 11 years ago the Gallipoli Underpass opened. And South Road upgrades are still not finished. We'll get there one day

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#4904 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sat Oct 31, 2020 6:53 pm

A couple quick ones. Please excuse the fragrance thing.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

claybro

#4905 Post by claybro » Sat Oct 31, 2020 10:22 pm

Bob wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:57 am
When the NS MW is completed, freight on the Melbourne-Perth freight corridor via Adelaide, (regardless if that freight is stopping in Adelaide or passing through), will take the shortest/fastest/most economical route, and that will be the 6KM stretch of Cross Road joining the SE FW to the new NS MW.

It is then up to the various layers of Government to decide if they will be OK with the increased heavy traffic on Cross Road and the social fallout that comes with it, or if they want to fund a better alternative. In other words, are they comfortable moving the existing heavy freight problem from Portrush & Hampstead Roads to Cross Road? If so fine, if not - then get an alternative on the drawing board quick smart.
SA hasn't thought that far into the future since the 1970's. The logical choice is a major upgrade/ tunnel for Cross Road, but we can't even get agreement on the next stretch of N/S expressway. Infrastructure Australia literally have to beg the SA government for proposals but... crickets.