[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5326 Post by Spotto » Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:47 pm

claybro wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 2:38 pm
While on the subject of changing the format (yet again), what are the chances of a change of government in SA, and if so, what is the chance that a new Labor government would scrap the whole tunnel plan as overkill and go back to their preferred option of hybrid short tunnels and trench?
Of the 10.5km for this final section, over half of it will be in tunnels. Scrapping the mega tunnels and going with mostly trench motorway would be significantly more disruptive and destructive than the current plans. Think of how many irritated people are currently going to be uprooted, double it and then add all the general public across Adelaide and the surrounds who will be annoyed that there’s yet another delay to this critical thoroughfare.

Don’t forget all the money that’s gone into investigative and design works that will presumably be significantly completed by the time the next election rolls around.

Labor would be entering office with a megaproject that’s approaching planning completion with all the hard work done by their political opponents in the previous term, scrapping it entirely would be political suicide.

greenknight
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5327 Post by greenknight » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:48 am

> Of the 10.5km for this final section, over half of it will be in tunnels. Scrapping the mega tunnels and going with mostly trench motorway would be significantly more disruptive and destructive than the current plans. Think of how many irritated people are currently going to be uprooted, double it and then add all the general public across Adelaide and the surrounds who will be annoyed that there’s yet another delay to this critical thoroughfare.

Exactly this. Tunnels are the least disruptive way of making it possible, and they are still getting massive backlash over it.

I really dont understand how people thought it was never going to happen, its literally been in the news for years. anyone within 30-40m either side of the road should be put on notice.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5328 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:53 am

Tunnels might be more expensive, but this is the least visually intrusive method of completing the project for once and for all.

It guarantees safety of key heritage along the route, with Labor earlier campaigning for protection of Thebarton Theatre. Labor could claim a small win for themselves with this.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nort

#5329 Post by Nort » Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:18 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:53 am
Tunnels might be more expensive, but this is the least visually intrusive method of completing the project for once and for all.

It guarantees safety of key heritage along the route, with Labor earlier campaigning for protection of Thebarton Theatre. Labor could claim a small win for themselves with this.
If Labor wins the election next year I doubt they'll change much if anything about the South Road plans. As you say they campaigned for the protection of some areas along the route, and it's filling in the last piece of a road they were in charge for most of. They'll happily claim it as the process they kicked off finally coming to its final fruition.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#5330 Post by NTRabbit » Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:16 pm

I drove out to Virginia yesterday, first time I've been through Regency Park since before construction started. Smooth sailing from the Torrens onwards, the two sections felt like they'd been built at the same time, blended seamlessly. Driving on the grooved concrete of the northern connector felt weird, but it made for a quick journey out and back, not a fan of the people weaving in and out of lanes at 140km/h like they're in NASCAR, apparently the 80, 90, and 110 signs aren't big enough. Some clown in a beat up EF Falcon sitting 5 metres off my rear bumper while I'm overtaking a B double because 110 wasn't fast enough.

The only issue was the agony of bumper to bumper traffic from the Torrens to Tonsley, the sooner that goes the better.

baytram366
High Rise Poster!

#5331 Post by baytram366 » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:41 am

I am not sure if its just coincidence, but every time I have driven on the newer concrete section between St Kilda and Bolivar etc when its raining, the speed limit is reduced to 60. Is there a reason for this? If its because the road is slippery when it rains, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a high speed expressway?
Baytram 366's Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34520752@N07/collections

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#5332 Post by Goodsy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:51 am

baytram366 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:41 am
I am not sure if its just coincidence, but every time I have driven on the newer concrete section between St Kilda and Bolivar etc when its raining, the speed limit is reduced to 60. Is there a reason for this? If its because the road is slippery when it rains, doesn't that kind of defeat the purpose of a high speed expressway?
I think the DPTI simply doesnt trust drivers doing 110kph 3 abreast in the rain

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5333 Post by rev » Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:22 am

NTRabbit wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 4:16 pm
I drove out to Virginia yesterday, first time I've been through Regency Park since before construction started. Smooth sailing from the Torrens onwards, the two sections felt like they'd been built at the same time, blended seamlessly. Driving on the grooved concrete of the northern connector felt weird, but it made for a quick journey out and back, not a fan of the people weaving in and out of lanes at 140km/h like they're in NASCAR, apparently the 80, 90, and 110 signs aren't big enough. Some clown in a beat up EF Falcon sitting 5 metres off my rear bumper while I'm overtaking a B double because 110 wasn't fast enough.

The only issue was the agony of bumper to bumper traffic from the Torrens to Tonsley, the sooner that goes the better.
As shit as many drivers are here, at least on the concrete section of the motorway there is a decent flow. 99% of the time people who jump in the right lane do so because they are in a hurry and will not drive below the speed limit like the people in the middle and left lane.

It wont be long before there is point to point cameras installed. Same thing will happen though, the slow drivers will slow down even more, and the fast drivers will over take using the right lane just like on the SEF.

There seems to be a lot of motorists in Adelaide who aren't able or willing to do the signed speed limit. Perhaps on the motorways and SEF the right lane could be the 110/90/80km/ph "fast lane", and the other lanes could be signed as 5-10kmph slower. Perhaps even enforced by speed cameras that ping you for being in the right lane and going slower then the signed limit and ping you in the left lanes for going above the speed limit. :lol:

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#5334 Post by mawsonguy » Sat Oct 09, 2021 12:46 pm

I found the page below at https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/adelaid ... 8427430247. It puts the Sadvertiser's reporting of the "skyway" concept in context. It appears that the "skyway" concept is incidental. What he is taking about is urban renewal.
We will show how flyover technology, coupled with new engineering design principles will not only save properties from being acquired but put Adelaide on the map for being at the forefront of building designs into the future.
One of Australia’s leading engineers has developed a bold and imaginative concept design for the final stage of the North-South Corridor – South Australia’s most crucial infrastructure project. Luigi Rossi, an experienced transport and urban development engineer and the the former general manager of project delivery for South Australia’s Transport Department, proposes a 6km tunnel interfacing with a 4km elevated motorway – described as ‘Tunnel meets Highway in the Sky’, which will save properties.

A stunning key aspect of the final design is the 10.5km stretch between River Torrens and Darlington. The Tunnel concept meeting the Skyway provides the framework for an urban transformation and renewal of South Road suburbs at ground level, which values the existing properties.

Have any questions about this program? Come and meet the Luigi Rossi & Team on 12 of Oct.

The session will provide a chance for you to hear from Luigi Rossi about the key strategies and attainable benefits for Adelaide’s North-South Motorway and to ask your questions.
  • What are the impacts of the proposed depressed motorway?
  • How will this new urban transformation of South Road support population growth, economic growth, and better quality of life?
  • How will this new urban form contribute to environmental sustainability, urban mobility, and values to better connect people?
  • What are the benefits of this new scheme?
  • Outline opportunities to involve the Indigenous community in the development.
Your insights and thoughts will contribute to the discussion regarding the value of this proposal

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5335 Post by Saltwater » Sat Oct 09, 2021 3:13 pm

Luigi's illustrations show a tree-lined boulevard along South Road in the inner west, but looking at his concept plans in the Advertiser recently also include a massive interchange between the tunnel and Sir Don Bradman Roads, with entrance and exits to the north and south, which would wipe out much of Mile End. I don't think the community will be very supportive once this is more widely known, because the current plans have the northern tunnel travelling underneath the inner west with no connections to SDB or HBR, which I think will massively improves east-west connections, rather than dumping loads more traffic in the local area and onto roads that are already at capacity during morning and evening peak.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5336 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:25 pm

Not my photos - old ones from under Grange Road during construction of T2T. Just for general interest.

Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

dbl96
High Rise Poster!

#5337 Post by dbl96 » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:28 pm

rev wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:22 am
NTRabbit wrote:

As shit as many drivers are here, at least on the concrete section of the motorway there is a decent flow. 99% of the time people who jump in the right lane do so because they are in a hurry and will not drive below the speed limit like the people in the middle and left lane.

It wont be long before there is point to point cameras installed. Same thing will happen though, the slow drivers will slow down even more, and the fast drivers will over take using the right lane just like on the SEF.

There seems to be a lot of motorists in Adelaide who aren't able or willing to do the signed speed limit. Perhaps on the motorways and SEF the right lane could be the 110/90/80km/ph "fast lane", and the other lanes could be signed as 5-10kmph slower. Perhaps even enforced by speed cameras that ping you for being in the right lane and going slower then the signed limit and ping you in the left lanes for going above the speed limit. :lol:
On freeways, I think a lot of the people doing this (slowing down) are doing it precisely to avoid risking getting pinged by the speed cameras. If you sit slightly under the limit, you know for certain you aren't going to get picked up by the average speed cameras, and there is less risk of accidently nudging the accelerator over the limit. It just seems silly to me that so much of the enforcement of speed limits happens on freeways. I'm not defending speeding, but if people are going to do it, the freeway is by far the safest place to do it. You have clear lines of vision, long curve radii, no pedestrians or cyclists and the road and lanes are wide. Yet the police target the freeways for speeding incessantly, while rarely enforcing the speed limit on the roads where it most matters, like the winding narrow roads in the Hills that the hoons love to race around and endanger life on.

A-Town
High Rise Poster!

#5338 Post by A-Town » Sat Oct 16, 2021 10:25 pm

dbl96 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:28 pm
rev wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:22 am
NTRabbit wrote:

On freeways, I think a lot of the people doing this (slowing down) are doing it precisely to avoid risking getting pinged by the speed cameras. If you sit slightly under the limit, you know for certain you aren't going to get picked up by the average speed cameras, and there is less risk of accidently nudging the accelerator over the limit. It just seems silly to me that so much of the enforcement of speed limits happens on freeways. I'm not defending speeding, but if people are going to do it, the freeway is by far the safest place to do it. You have clear lines of vision, long curve radii, no pedestrians or cyclists and the road and lanes are wide. Yet the police target the freeways for speeding incessantly, while rarely enforcing the speed limit on the roads where it most matters, like the winding narrow roads in the Hills that the hoons love to race around and endanger life on.
Speed cameras are (mostly) revenue raisers, and the cameras on the down track of the freeway are some of the highest earners in the state.

bits
Legendary Member!

[U/C] [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5339 Post by bits » Sat Oct 16, 2021 11:51 pm

A-Town wrote: Speed cameras are (mostly) revenue raisers, and the cameras on the down track of the freeway are some of the highest earners in the state.
Are those cameras different technology than others?
All other fixed cameras take the picture of the car from behind. The top and bottom on the sef are the opposite, facing head on to the driver.
I see other cameras flash all the time at intersections but never on the sef. If it did flash it would be direct into drivers eyes.
Do they ever flash?
Can it see in poor light when others can not?

Mr Messy
Gold-Member ;)

#5340 Post by Mr Messy » Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:03 am

Probably has an infra red flash

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk