[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5341 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:11 am

The business - not the building - of Tennyson Centre (north of Gallipoli Underpass) has been sold to another buyer.

Staff as yet unaffected, so unsure if connected to the upgrade.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

croweater888
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5342 Post by croweater888 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 3:22 pm

I doubt it does.

It would be far easier/cheaper to take all of the houses on the other side (and a couple of businesses). Most of them are old places sitting on huge blocks of up to 40-50m in length and from what I can see in Google, they are mostly undivided.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5343 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:55 pm

croweater888 wrote:I doubt it does.

It would be far easier/cheaper to take all of the houses on the other side (and a couple of businesses). Most of them are old places sitting on huge blocks of up to 40-50m in length and from what I can see in Google, they are mostly undivided.
Perhaps that would be easier, but I just feel the existing cut would be widened to the west; land highlighted.

SBD

#5344 Post by SBD » Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:07 pm

At this stage, I don't think we have heard any specifics about how construction will be done in this area. One possibility would be for the tunnel boring machine(s) that started at the southern end to keep going under the Gallipoli Underpass to drill the northern tunnel, then dig down to it (or up from it) to create the on and off ramps in the vicinity of Anzac Highway.

That interchange is likely to be somewhat complex as Anzac Highway crosses at an angle, and the interchange needs to provide access in al directions between the Motorway, South Road and Anzac Highway.

If the machines don't continue through, then it needs space to be stopped, refurbished, moved past the intersection and restarted at the next portal.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5345 Post by Saltwater » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:33 am

From what I've heard the tunnel ends to the South of Anzac Highway, and the Gallipoli underpass is being retained with three lanes of motorway in each direction. Expect to see more detailed plans over the coming weeks. I believe the plan is for four TBM's overall.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5346 Post by rev » Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:38 pm

Demolition going on around the back of the old Cadbury factory by the Torrens. Not sure if its associated with the corridor.

Chats
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5347 Post by Chats » Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 pm

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... bf07c78f18

“ Detailed plans for part of Torrens to Darlingtonw motorway show elevated ramp connection to Anzac Highway”
Motorists will be able to travel from the southern suburbs to the outskirts of the Adelaide CBD without stopping at traffic lights following the construction of an overpass connecting the Torrens to Darlington motorway directly to Anzac Highway.
Detailed designs jointly released by the federal and state governments reveal plans to transform the intersection of Anzac Highway and South Road in a major development that will alleviate pressure on other key routes and accommodate future growth.

The project milestone comes weeks after residents of 110 homes at Glandore were notified their properties would be compulsorily acquired, and shows exactly how the land will be used.

The two three-lane southern tunnels will surface in that area at the “northern portal”, near where the Glenelg tramline overpass crosses South Road.

In order to access the city, those travelling north through the tunnel will exit onto an elevated ramp and overpass, which will connect the motorway to Anzac Highway without the need to stop.

The ramp will stretch about 400 metres onto Anzac Highway before it lowers to meet the ground. No property acquisition along the highway will be required to build the structure.

Northbound traffic on the existing South Road, including motorists who have come from Cross Road, will be able to merge onto the motorway using a ramp just south of Anzac Highway.

Federal Urban Infrastructure Minister Paul Fletcher said the project, part of the $9.9 billion final stage of the North-South Corridor, will alleviate congestion across Adelaide and move people and freight faster.

“The T2D is the final piece of one of the most significant projects in the state’s history and will not only dramatically reduce travel times for people going north and south, but will also make it much quicker and safer for the thousands of motorists travelling into the city,” he said.
Edit: sorry can’t get images to embed.

ginzahikari
Gold-Member ;)

#5348 Post by ginzahikari » Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:19 pm

Chats wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:22 pm
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/sou ... bf07c78f18

“ Detailed plans for part of Torrens to Darlingtonw motorway show elevated ramp connection to Anzac Highway”
Motorists will be able to travel from the southern suburbs to the outskirts of the Adelaide CBD without stopping at traffic lights following the construction of an overpass connecting the Torrens to Darlington motorway directly to Anzac Highway.
Detailed designs jointly released by the federal and state governments reveal plans to transform the intersection of Anzac Highway and South Road in a major development that will alleviate pressure on other key routes and accommodate future growth.

The project milestone comes weeks after residents of 110 homes at Glandore were notified their properties would be compulsorily acquired, and shows exactly how the land will be used.

The two three-lane southern tunnels will surface in that area at the “northern portal”, near where the Glenelg tramline overpass crosses South Road.

In order to access the city, those travelling north through the tunnel will exit onto an elevated ramp and overpass, which will connect the motorway to Anzac Highway without the need to stop.

The ramp will stretch about 400 metres onto Anzac Highway before it lowers to meet the ground. No property acquisition along the highway will be required to build the structure.

Northbound traffic on the existing South Road, including motorists who have come from Cross Road, will be able to merge onto the motorway using a ramp just south of Anzac Highway.

Federal Urban Infrastructure Minister Paul Fletcher said the project, part of the $9.9 billion final stage of the North-South Corridor, will alleviate congestion across Adelaide and move people and freight faster.

“The T2D is the final piece of one of the most significant projects in the state’s history and will not only dramatically reduce travel times for people going north and south, but will also make it much quicker and safer for the thousands of motorists travelling into the city,” he said.
Edit: sorry can’t get images to embed.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=htt ... AdAAAAABAO

The artist impression makes it seem like the Gallipoli underpass will become part of the new motorway?

rev

#5349 Post by rev » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:10 am

Looks like Gallipoli Underpass will be widened to 3 lanes based on the ITS signs above it.
And looks like at Glandore that's north bound. Just had a quick look on Google Maps, the green roofed structure is the baptist church. So looks like the tunnels come back up just before, or after, the Gallipoli underpass. I guess it would be the exit tunnel portal that would lead onto the overpass to Anzac Hwy.

An elevated ramp will take motorists from the south directly and non-stop from the Torrens to Darlington motorway to Anzac Highway on a new overpass over the interchange at South Road. Supplied: SA Government

The tunnels will surface at Glandore, near where the Glenelg tram overpass crosses current South Road. Supplied: SA Government
Last edited by rev on Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:20 am, edited 3 times in total.

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#5350 Post by muzzamo » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:12 am

Detailed designs? Or two pictures spoonfed to the advertiser/Sunday mail?

Would be good to see the actual detailed design documents.

SouthAussie94
High Rise Poster!

#5351 Post by SouthAussie94 » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 am

They say that no property acquisitions along ANZAC Hwy will be needed. It will be interesting to see how they fit 3 lanes each way on ANZAC Hwy, and the new bridge into the existing corridor.
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rev

#5352 Post by rev » Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:56 am

SouthAussie94 wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:51 am
They say that no property acquisitions along ANZAC Hwy will be needed. It will be interesting to see how they fit 3 lanes each way on ANZAC Hwy, and the new bridge into the existing corridor.
The same way they did it on Ayliffes Road?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5353 Post by Norman » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:05 am

Good Lord, that does not look pretty. It looks overengineered.

That bridge to Anzac Highway the CBD doesn't need to be there because I thought the main purpose of the freeway was for freight and moving it along the corridor. This bridge will only further encourage the car commute to the city.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5354 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:39 am

Norman wrote:Good Lord, that does not look pretty. It looks overengineered.

That bridge to Anzac Highway the CBD doesn't need to be there because I thought the main purpose of the freeway was for freight and moving it along the corridor. This bridge will only further encourage the car commute to the city.
Agreed.

This section needs to go back to the drawing board.

The ANZAC Highway ramp would only be acceptable if it were exclusive for buses to use.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#5355 Post by mawsonguy » Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:09 am

Descriptions and 4 renders of the Anzac Hwy & North-South Motorway connection are available from the Department for Infrastructure and Transport at https://dit.sa.gov.au/nsc/torrens_to_da ... ern_tunnel