[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5371 Post by rev » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 pm

Nort wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 3:46 pm
I don't get the comments that this seems over engineered. If anything it seems quite restrained in the impact on the existing intersection and Anzac highway considering the need for traffic coming from the tunnel to keep moving without suddenly hitting lights and creating a potential backup
The same solution was used on the Darlington upgrade, South Rd/Motorway going onto Ayliffes road.
Single lane overpass.

Anzac Hwy is a much more important and busier roadway then Ayliffes road.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5372 Post by aceman » Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:49 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 pm
Nort wrote:
I don't get the comments that this seems over engineered. If anything it seems quite restrained in the impact on the existing intersection and Anzac highway considering the need for traffic coming from the tunnel to keep moving without suddenly hitting lights and creating a potential backup
The same solution was used on the Darlington upgrade, South Rd/Motorway going onto Ayliffes road.
Single lane overpass.

2 lane overpass northbound only. you're right in saying that the volume of traffic exiting the motorway onto anzac highway will be a lot more than ayliffes rd.

rev

#5373 Post by rev » Tue Oct 26, 2021 2:12 pm

aceman wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:49 pm
rev wrote:
Mon Oct 25, 2021 6:35 pm
Nort wrote:
Single lane overpass.

2 lane overpass northbound only. you're right in saying that the volume of traffic exiting the motorway onto anzac highway will be a lot more than ayliffes rd.
Ah yes you're right, I dont drive down south much and from memory from below it looked single lane.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5374 Post by Norman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:08 pm

Nort wrote:
Look, I get that it works from a traffic engineer's point of view, but I see this project from the eyes of an urban planner. I think this will encourage further sprawl and a further move away from public transport for travel into the city. I understand that there needs to be some sort of connection to the CBD, but the easier you make it for people to drive into the city the less likely they are to use alternatives.

I personally would prefer if they focused on trips that can't be done by public transport (such as cross-city travel) than trips that would be much better left with public transport, which is travel to the CBD.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5375 Post by Nort » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:05 pm

Norman wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:08 pm
Nort wrote:
Look, I get that it works from a traffic engineer's point of view, but I see this project from the eyes of an urban planner. I think this will encourage further sprawl and a further move away from public transport for travel into the city. I understand that there needs to be some sort of connection to the CBD, but the easier you make it for people to drive into the city the less likely they are to use alternatives.

I personally would prefer if they focused on trips that can't be done by public transport (such as cross-city travel) than trips that would be much better left with public transport, which is travel to the CBD.
I agree, but the debate on whether to spend tens of billions of dollars putting a freeway through Adelaide was over years ago. That being the case it makes sense to do things safely and efficiently, and solutions which could result in traffic backing up into a tunnel are not that.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5376 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:13 pm

It's Liberal Party thinking - disregard for urban planning. The ramp will encourage car travel to the CBD. It's creating demand that isn't even necessarily there.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5377 Post by aceman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:44 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:13 pm
It's Liberal Party thinking - disregard for urban planning. The ramp will encourage car travel to the CBD. It's creating demand that isn't even necessarily there.
at least the plan is to do it when the tunnels are going in. if they don't do it everyone will complain that it should have been done when the tunnels went in. nothing wrong with a bit of forward planning.

ChillyPhilly

#5378 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:46 pm

I understand where you're coming from.

But what is the 'forward planning' for? Why are we actively providing an easy solution to a problem that is avoidable and does not need to exist?

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5379 Post by aceman » Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:52 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 10:46 pm

But what is the 'forward planning' for? Why are we actively providing an easy solution to a problem that is avoidable and does not need to exist?
what is the problem that is avoidable and doesn't need to exist? why is this overpass such a bad idea?

rev

#5380 Post by rev » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:01 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
What are you talking about demand that isn't even there? The roads in and around the city are congested.

rev

#5381 Post by rev » Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:05 am

Norman wrote:
Tue Oct 26, 2021 9:08 pm
Nort wrote:

That sprawl is inevitable. It's happening already and will continue to happen both north and south.

Not everyone can afford to live in existing inner suburbs, if you can thats great.
Not everyone can or wants to live in a city apartment, if you do great for you.
As well as the motorways, there should be (or should have been) trains. Both Labor and Liberal have failed on that particularly in the north.

Nort

#5382 Post by Nort » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:55 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:

Do you have an alternate solution for getting traffic off the freeway and into the city that doesn't involve a ramp like this and won't risk backing up traffic?

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5383 Post by Spotto » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:55 am

rev wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 5:01 am
ChillyPhilly wrote:
What are you talking about demand that isn't even there? The roads in and around the city are congested.
If you build this ramp you make it easier for cars to get to those already contested roads, making traffic problems worse. If they persist with this ramp, they should convert one of the lanes on Anzac Highway to a peak hour bus lane, otherwise buses will never get anywhere in the traffic jams.

The second problem with this ramp is it makes it easier to get into the city but not out of the city. So in the morning peak all these additional cars will flood into town using the convenient ramp, but when they want to leave in the evening peak they’ll be stuck on the surface roads?

ChillyPhilly

#5384 Post by ChillyPhilly » Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:56 am

Nort wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:

Do you have an alternate solution for getting traffic off the freeway and into the city that doesn't involve a ramp like this and won't risk backing up traffic?
Invest in public transport.

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#5385 Post by PD2/20 » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:48 am

Spotto wrote:
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:55 am

The second problem with this ramp is it makes it easier to get into the city but not out of the city. So in the morning peak all these additional cars will flood into town using the convenient ramp, but when they want to leave in the evening peak they’ll be stuck on the surface roads?
At present the southbound flow from Anzac to South Rd is not inhibited by traffic lights other than a pedestrian crossing. From South Rd to Anzac and the city the flow conflicts with the east- and westbound flows on Anzac and so requires traffic lights at the junction. The ramp would eliminate the conflicts and increase the distance between the tunnel mouth and the merge point on to Anzac and reduce the chance of queuing back into the tunnel.