[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
NYG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5401 Post by NYG » Sun Oct 31, 2021 2:26 pm

aceman wrote:
rev wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 3:11 pm
^^ is the spot where the northern tunnels end and return to the current south rd street level?
I came across this the other day on the T2D Project website. So the Northern Tunnel comes back to surface/reverts to Lowered Motorway somewhere before Ashwin Pde/West Thebarton Rd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5402 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Oct 31, 2021 3:17 pm

Everyone on here criticised the decision to build a Community Centre on that corner. That was just asking for trouble.

I'm more interested about the State Heritage location, the Australian Society of Magicians: http://bombsheltermagic.com/
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5403 Post by Saltwater » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:35 pm

I heard council were told many times not to put the community centre on that corner. The bowling club is also unfortunate. They are being pushed to merge with Lockleys which is a terrible outcome, they should be able to rebuild somewhere close to the current location. With much of Kings Reserve being earmarked for construction, and probably houses in West Thebarton earmarked for demolition, the NSM is going to make an absolute mess of the area around Brickworks. Expect the fireworks to start when plans are made public.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5404 Post by aceman » Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:58 pm

Saltwater wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:35 pm
I heard council were told many times not to put the community centre on that corner. The bowling club is also unfortunate. They are being pushed to merge with Lockleys which is a terrible outcome, they should be able to rebuild somewhere close to the current location. With much of Kings Reserve being earmarked for construction, and probably houses in West Thebarton earmarked for demolition, the NSM is going to make an absolute mess of the area around Brickworks. Expect the fireworks to start when plans are made public.
not much different to what's happened along the already complicated sections of the corridor. there's no way of avoiding collateral damage.

ChillyPhilly

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5405 Post by ChillyPhilly » Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:15 pm

Saltwater wrote:I heard council were told many times not to put the community centre on that corner. The bowling club is also unfortunate. They are being pushed to merge with Lockleys which is a terrible outcome, they should be able to rebuild somewhere close to the current location. With much of Kings Reserve being earmarked for construction, and probably houses in West Thebarton earmarked for demolition, the NSM is going to make an absolute mess of the area around Brickworks. Expect the fireworks to start when plans are made public.
Probably like the ANZAC Highway section, this too may need a rethink.

SBD

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5406 Post by SBD » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:30 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 10:15 pm
Saltwater wrote:I heard council were told many times not to put the community centre on that corner. The bowling club is also unfortunate. They are being pushed to merge with Lockleys which is a terrible outcome, they should be able to rebuild somewhere close to the current location. With much of Kings Reserve being earmarked for construction, and probably houses in West Thebarton earmarked for demolition, the NSM is going to make an absolute mess of the area around Brickworks. Expect the fireworks to start when plans are made public.
Probably like the ANZAC Highway section, this too may need a rethink.
That map does not have the River Torrens marked on it, and has lowered motorway between Ashwin Parade and Grange Road. I know that canals in the UK can go over aqueduct/bridges, but every now and then the Torrens floods. Where would flood water end up if the Torrens is carrying three metres extra water for a day? This could be more often with climate changes.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5407 Post by Saltwater » Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:54 am

Well they managed to get a tunnel under Sydney Harbour so there is precedent. I'm hearing it comes down to cost and the planners want the motorway at surface across the river so it can connect up with Grange Road, otherwise the exit ramps up if the tunnel went under the river would be too steep. It would also require re-work of the section already constructed through Hindmarsh.

ChillyPhilly

#5408 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:49 pm

Hadn't seen this until now. Posted on the T2D Facebook page.

535i xdrive 0 60

[Shuz]

#5409 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:42 pm

That northbound merge from the tunnels onto Anzac Highway into either direction, east or west, so close to the existing intersection, is in direct conflict with the northbound South Road merge onto Anzac Highway, into either direction east or west also. There's barely 100m between the merge and the traffic lights.

They need to rethink this particular section again, as it could (and will) get very messy and result in a lot of accidents and back up the traffic significantly.

Again, as I said before, the whole thing needs to go back to the drawing board for this intersection. It's a horrendous plan.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Nort

#5410 Post by Nort » Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:56 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:42 pm
That northbound merge from the tunnels onto Anzac Highway into either direction, east or west, so close to the existing intersection, is in direct conflict with the northbound South Road merge onto Anzac Highway, into either direction east or west also. There's barely 100m between the merge and the traffic lights.

They need to rethink this particular section again, as it could (and will) get very messy and result in a lot of accidents and back up the traffic significantly.

Again, as I said before, the whole thing needs to go back to the drawing board for this intersection. It's a horrendous plan.
I can see what you're talking about with wanting to go west down Anzac Highway, but for northbound traffic going East they'll be avoiding the lights entirely because of the ramp.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5411 Post by rev » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:33 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:42 pm

Don't think it will be that much of a dramatic problem.
Theres a similar situation where the lowered motorway off ramp comes up and mergers with the surface road at the Port Road intersection. Never seen an accident there and the traffic from the motorway comes flying up the off ramp still doing 80kmh and more often then not changing to the left lanes to go city bound.

Similar also to the R2P section where you come up from the lowered motorway and can turn off at Regency road, it mergers not far before the intersection with South Rd traffic, all be it much lower volumes of traffic.

[Shuz]

#5412 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:56 am

Fair point.

However, because there are no entries and exits to the tunnels between Anzac Highway and Darlington, there is still a sizeable peak hour frieight and commuter catchment in the stretch in between who will continue to use the existing South Road (those in St. Mary's, Edwardstown, Melrose Park, Clarence Gardens, Black Forest, Glandore). This traffic will cause a bottleneck in that merge point in the mornings.

Also I can't see how they will be able to fit in a two lane ramp within the median of Anzac Highway without removing a lane on Anzac Highway itself. Something has got to give.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

AG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#5413 Post by AG » Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:01 am

[Shuz] wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 8:56 am
Fair point.

However, because there are no entries and exits to the tunnels between Anzac Highway and Darlington, there is still a sizeable peak hour frieight and commuter catchment in the stretch in between who will continue to use the existing South Road (those in St. Mary's, Edwardstown, Melrose Park, Clarence Gardens, Black Forest, Glandore). This traffic will cause a bottleneck in that merge point in the mornings.

Also I can't see how they will be able to fit in a two lane ramp within the median of Anzac Highway without removing a lane on Anzac Highway itself. Something has got to give.
From the renders and video, it looks like the ramp from the NSM Southern Tunnel/South Road to Anzac Highway is only one lane (the two lanes which come from the tunnel and South Road merge into one on approach to the ramp). Also, it looks like the ramp joins the 3 lanes from Anzac Highway to form 4 northbound lanes cutting into the existing median, but for how far this extends is not clear. My guess is that the left lane ends some time after the ramp, or the right lane is forced to turn right at Leader Street.

[Shuz]

#5414 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:47 pm

I didn't even think about the conflict with Leader Street. You would have northbound traffic coming off the ramp merging and trying to get across the three lanes of traffic on Anzac Highway, but existing traffic along Anzac Highway who need to merge across into the right lane to access Leader Street will have to be very careful in doing so.

We all know that Adelaide drivers have a notorious reputation for not being the best at merging, hence my concerns.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5415 Post by rev » Wed Nov 03, 2021 5:36 pm

Perhaps a better solution then instead of an overpass to Anzac Hwy, is to just make the north & south on/off ramps longer to accommodate traffic coming out of the tunnels, and just keep it much the same on the surface as it is now? That sort of urban interchange seems to work in other cities. Some of the ramps on the Western ringroad in Melbourne are 500m~ long.