[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Spotto
Legendary Member!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5431 Post by Spotto » Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:06 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
Sat Nov 06, 2021 10:16 pm
Two questions re: all of this.

If both tunnels are to be build slightly west of South Road, what of all the thousands of houses they will go under? Surely there are surface level services required for the ongoing use of these tunnels, or is that only for cut and cover-type tunnels?
The tunnels should be deep enough that any surface impacts should be minimal to non-existant. If they can dig motorway tunnels under Seattle, or London’s Crossrail going under a city that’s already a web of sewers and underground railways, then this should in theory be no problem.
Patrick_27 wrote:
Also, what of the current South Road? The quality of South Road's road-surface and general street scape have been neglected for decades in anticipation for this project. Will the state/federal government be investing anything to ensure that South Road doesn't become a hellish barren once the high volumes of traffic are using the tunnels?
Based on current concept art, the rejuvenation of surface-level South Road is included in this project.

But regardless, the road surface should be relaid now. The current surface is shocking, especially around Clovelly Park and Castle Plaza. It won’t last for however long it will take to complete the tunnels.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5432 Post by rev » Sun Nov 07, 2021 3:54 pm

Spotto wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 12:06 am
Patrick_27 wrote:
Two questions re: all of this.

If both tunnels are to be build slightly west of South Road, what of all the thousands of houses they will go under? Surely there are surface level services required for the ongoing use of these tunnels, or is that only for cut and cover-type tunnels?
The tunnels should be deep enough that any surface impacts should be minimal to non-existant. If they can dig motorway tunnels under Seattle, or London’s Crossrail going under a city that’s already a web of sewers and underground railways, then this should in theory be no problem.
Patrick_27 wrote:
Also, what of the current South Road? The quality of South Road's road-surface and general street scape have been neglected for decades in anticipation for this project. Will the state/federal government be investing anything to ensure that South Road doesn't become a hellish barren once the high volumes of traffic are using the tunnels?
Based on current concept art, the rejuvenation of surface-level South Road is included in this project.

But regardless, the road surface should be relaid now. The current surface is shocking, especially around Clovelly Park and Castle Plaza. It won’t last for however long it will take to complete the tunnels.
There'd be ventilation structures at each portal to the tunnels if they're long enough and justify it. Looks like they may feature on the tunnels here.
17 second mark.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5433 Post by aceman » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:03 pm

will the section of motorway between ashwin parade and the start of the torrens to torrens be at the current grade of south road where it goes over the river torrens?

rev

#5434 Post by rev » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:09 pm

aceman wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:03 pm
will the section of motorway between ashwin parade and the start of the torrens to torrens be at the current grade of south road where it goes over the river torrens?
A couple pages back theres a diagram showing it will be lowered motorway. If those diagrams are to be believed, as they haven't announced what they'll be doing with that section exactly yet.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5435 Post by aceman » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:23 pm

rev wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:09 pm
aceman wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:03 pm
A couple pages back theres a diagram showing it will be lowered motorway. If those diagrams are to be believed, as they haven't announced what they'll be doing with that section exactly yet.
there must be multiple diagrams as the one I'm looking at just says new motorway. doesn't say lowered or raised.

NYG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5436 Post by NYG » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:26 pm

https://dit.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/ima ... OTRAIN.jpg

Lowered Motorway according to this T2D schematic map

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5437 Post by aceman » Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:45 pm

NYG wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:26 pm

will be interesting to see how that works especially as there will be a sudden steep climb up to where the existing completed section is.

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

#5438 Post by mawsonguy » Mon Nov 08, 2021 10:59 pm

There was another crash on the T2T section of the motorway today (Monday 8 November 2021) during the morning peak hour. I could see that Southbound traffic was at a standstill from the Regency Road Bridge to at least the Torrens Road Underpass. I suspect that the crash was at the Port Road exit. This seems to be a semi-regular event. The contributing factors seem to be:
  1. The filter lane for the exit to Port Road is very short. It is only 70m long compared with 200m for the filter lane for westbound traffic on Salisbury Highway to exit and travel south on the Superway. Unfortunately, given the constraints of the trench, this cannot be remedied.
  2. There is very little signage. The recessed nature of the filter lane means that you cannot see it until the last moment. I recall that on the SE Freeway they used to have green signs with stripes, 1 stripe meant 100m to the exit, 2 stripes 200m to the exit and 3 stripes 300m to the exit. I don't know if they are still there but there is no equivalent on the N-S Motorway. Perhaps flashing lights/signs might help.
  3. People tend to slow down before they enter the filter lane instead of after they enter it. This can cause rear end collisions. Perhaps there needs to be signs saying "Maintain your speed until exit" or similar.
  4. The only warning of the collision was a sign at the southern end of the Superway which said "Collision Ahead". Pretty useless. A better sign would be "Collision. Exit at Regency". Fortunately, I heard a traffic alert on the radio which said there was a collision at Torrens Rd and Google gave me any alternate route.
  5. There is no way to allow the banked up traffic to exit the motorway between Regency & Torrens Roads. A removable barrier on the Eastern side which the police can open up and divert traffic onto South Road would be a good, and relatively cheap, Ideally, there should be an exit at Torrens Road for south bound traffic. I don't know why one wasn't built originally, there is plenty of room and it would've been cheap as it was all at grade. Now it will cost $2-3 million at a guess.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5439 Post by SBD » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:12 am

aceman wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:45 pm
NYG wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:26 pm

will be interesting to see how that works especially as there will be a sudden steep climb up to where the existing completed section is.
I agree that this chart shows a lowered motorway. I'm not convinced of the practicality of a lowered motorway with a large enough "river bridge" aqueduct to carry flood volume without filling the lowered motorway. The motorway would need to be low enough not to disturb the present riverbed, and keep the sides of the aqueduct as wide and high as the current full river banks to ensure it can carry rare floods. 2005 and 2016 flooded high enough to wash away Brewery Christmas displays.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#5440 Post by Saltwater » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:27 am

My feel is the NSM will be at-grade across the Torrens, with the tunnel entrances further south somewhere in King's Reserve. I'm hearing few if any people on the eastern side of South Road have received letters, and the West Thebby Hotel is safe, so its possible West Thebarton is protected but a large chunk of King's Reserve is taken, either permanently or during construction, including the community club and bowling club. Either through luck or planning it looks like Brickwords was set far enough back from South Road to not be impacted, despite ten lanes of road passing by it. Houses north of the river are also being taken around Jervois Street which must be so the motorway can bend (not much room on the other side with the cemetery). At the moment traffic heading north from Brickworks bottlenecks outside Urban Stone because everyone slams on their brakes getting around that corner, even though its wide and well signposted.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5441 Post by aceman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:58 am

Saltwater wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:27 am
My feel is the NSM will be at-grade across the Torrens, with the tunnel entrances further south somewhere in King's Reserve. I'm hearing few if any people on the eastern side of South Road have received letters, and the West Thebby Hotel is safe, so its possible West Thebarton is protected but a large chunk of King's Reserve is taken, either permanently or during construction, including the community club and bowling club. Either through luck or planning it looks like Brickwords was set far enough back from South Road to not be impacted, despite ten lanes of road passing by it. Houses north of the river are also being taken around Jervois Street which must be so the motorway can bend (not much room on the other side with the cemetery). At the moment traffic heading north from Brickworks bottlenecks outside Urban Stone because everyone slams on their brakes getting around that corner, even though its wide and well signposted.
I tend to agree, the tunnels will surface south of ashwin parade followed by a short lowered section under the ashwin parade/west thebarton road intersection before returning to at grade to join the T2T section. I'm not sure what could be gained by having a lowered motorway where the torrens is. there's no other roads intersecting that short section.

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5442 Post by aceman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 11:50 am

does anyone know which properties have been notified regarding acquisition?

north of the river torrens I'm assuming western estern side only.

urbanstone?
the last 4 houses at the end of Torrens Avenue?

south of the river torrens up to west thebarton road I'm assuming eastern side only (all commercial properties) as the brickworks marketplace will remain untouched?

south of ashwin parade where the tunnels surface it's western side only which includes the thebarton community centre, car park and torrensville bowling club?

rev

#5443 Post by rev » Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:20 pm

aceman wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 10:58 am
Saltwater wrote:
I tend to agree, the tunnels will surface south of ashwin parade followed by a short lowered section under the ashwin parade/west thebarton road intersection before returning to at grade to join the T2T section. I'm not sure what could be gained by having a lowered motorway where the torrens is. there's no other roads intersecting that short section.
Why not Ashwin Parade/West Thebby road going under the motorway, and the motorway between the tunnels and T2T trench being at surface level?

aceman
High Rise Poster!

#5444 Post by aceman » Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:03 pm

rev wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:20 pm
aceman wrote:
Saltwater wrote:
Why not Ashwin Parade/West Thebby road going under the motorway, and the motorway between the tunnels and T2T trench being at surface level?
I'd say that would require ashwin and west thebby road to have a lengthy lead up on either side of the motorway in order to not have a sudden drop.

Nort
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5445 Post by Nort » Tue Nov 09, 2021 5:36 pm

aceman wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 4:03 pm
rev wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:20 pm
aceman wrote:

I'd say that would require ashwin and west thebby road to have a lengthy lead up on either side of the motorway in order to not have a sudden drop.
Yeah, the surface level road will require access on/off it.