[U/C] M2 North-South Motorway

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
aceman
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5086 Post by aceman » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:38 am

5 metres for each lane seems doable. anyone know how wide the heyson tunnels are? I doubt they would be more than 15 metres. keep in mind the heyson tunnels don't have any emergency stopping shoulders. on each side the lanes are right up against the wall.

edit, a quick Google search shows that the heyson tunnel lanes are 3.5m wide and the height clearance is 5.3m.

https://www.sageautomation.com/success- ... nel-sensor

scroll down a bit on the above link which shows the inside of the heyson tunnels. an example of a tunnel with 3 lanes and an approximate width required.
Last edited by aceman on Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingy
Sen-Rookie-Sational

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5087 Post by kingy » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:59 am

aceman wrote:5 metres for each lane seems doable. anyone know how wide the heyson tunnels are? I doubt they would be more than 15 metres. keep in mind the heyson tunnels don't have any emergency stopping shoulders. on each side the lanes are right up against the wall.

edit, a quick Google search shows that the heyson tunnel lanes are 3.5m wide and the height clearance is 5.3m.
According to this cross section from Queensland TMR 15m diameter would allow 3x3.5m lanes, a 2.5m service lane and a 0.8m shoulder on the right.Image

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: [U/C] Re: M2 North-South Motorway

#5088 Post by SBD » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:47 pm

kingy wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:17 am
phenom wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 12:30 am
A render on the DIT website. The intersection is that of South Road/Henley Beach Road.
This looks like the first time I've seen a render for this (I could be wrong though as I don't follow it that closely) where there were clearly three lanes each way in the tunnel? I hope it's a good sign even though it's still just a render/impression.
The FAQ on the DIT website states that a 15m diameter TBM's would likely be the size procured, does anyone know how many lanes this would indicate? 3 lanes certainly seems viable at 15m.

https://dit.sa.gov.au/nsc/torrens_to_da ... _questions

What will be the height of the underground tunnel? 

The height of the tunnel will be determined by a number of factors, including the number of tunnel lanes required. The number of lanes will determine the diameter of the Tunnel Boring Machines (TBM) in addition to freight and High Productivity Vehicle height needs.
While the diameter of TBMs can vary, it is estimated that the machines we will use will be around 15 metres.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
West Gate Tunnel in Melbourne appears to be using 15.6m diameter tunnel boring machines to create three-lane tunnels.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5089 Post by rev » Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:55 pm

SBD wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:47 pm
West Gate Tunnel in Melbourne appears to be using 15.6m diameter tunnel boring machines to create three-lane tunnels.
Last week they mentioned on 9News I believe, that the TBM's will be "custom made" for the project here.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#5090 Post by Goodsy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:53 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:55 pm
SBD wrote:
Last week they mentioned on 9News I believe, that the TBM's will be "custom made" for the project here.
all TBM's are custom made for the job they do

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#5091 Post by rev » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:13 pm

Goodsy wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:53 pm
rev wrote:
SBD wrote:
Interesting..who knew, the thought never crossed my mind.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#5092 Post by SBD » Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:30 pm

rev wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 6:13 pm
Goodsy wrote:
rev wrote:

Interesting..who knew, the thought never crossed my mind.
I guess even global demand is not sufficient to have a TBM showroom somewhere that you could go and pick one out. Every one of them probably needs custom cutting heads and one of several kinds of tunnel lining depending on the soil/rock/watertable they are digging through. "Custom made" might not mean complete unique design.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5093 Post by Spotto » Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:28 pm

Goodsy wrote:
rev wrote:
SBD wrote:
Not always. The TBMs being used for Brisbane’s Cross River Rail tunnels are being repurposed from the Sydney Metro project.

Columbo
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5094 Post by Columbo » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:07 pm

With no fanfare whatsoever the Pym St pedestrian overpass is now open and the 2 pedestrian crossings have been been removed.

Both sets of stairs and the ramp are open on the eastern side.

On the western side only the ramp was open this afternoon, both sets of stairs and the footpath still fenced off.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5095 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:40 am

Spotto wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:28 pm
Goodsy wrote:
rev wrote:

Not always. The TBMs being used for Brisbane’s Cross River Rail tunnels are being repurposed from the Sydney Metro project.
I'm no expert at tunneling, but I assume there will be some modifications and customisation to the TBM once it arrives in Brisbane.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#5096 Post by Norman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:11 am

Received this email today:
Planning continues on the state's largest infrastructure project

It's been a busy few week on the North-South Corridor Torrens to Darlington Project.

Over the past two weeks we've hosted the first of our Reference Group meetings. These groups will help identify potential City Shaping priorities, provide important insights for both business and community, share ideas and strategies to improve the general amenity and functionality of public spaces, discuss localised access to business and identify issues of interest to the community and businesses during the planning and design phase.

We've also been continuing our early works program. Our team are on the ground working with local SA business EBS Ecology and Heritage, surveying South Road and the surrounding streets to collect valuable information about the local environment. This includes mapping existing vegetation, significant trees and identifying fauna habitat within the corridor.

Outcomes from the survey will be used to inform the design and construction approaches as part of our commitment to minimising project impacts.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5097 Post by Spotto » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:50 am

Norman wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:40 am
Spotto wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:28 pm
Goodsy wrote:

I'm no expert at tunneling, but I assume there will be some modifications and customisation to the TBM once it arrives in Brisbane.
Naturally. Information can be found here: https://crossriverrail.qld.gov.au/news/ ... l-tunnels/

• The TBMs were previously used on the Sydney Metro project
  • They will be refitted and refurbished to suit the Cross River Rail project
  • New shields will be required and will come from China

mawsonguy
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] R2P Community overpass walk

#5098 Post by mawsonguy » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:37 pm

From the R2P website:
To thank the local community and motorists for their patience, the R2P Project will be holding a milestone celebration.

The R2P Community overpass walk will be held on Sunday, 21 March 2021, from 10:00am – 12:00pm.

Members of the public will have the opportunity to access the Regency Road overpass via a bus tour and walk on the overpass, prior to its opening to motorists. This will be a COVID safe event with booking and check-in essential.

To register for this event please click https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/R2Pwalk RSVP required by Wednesday, 17 March.

Spotto
Legendary Member!

#5099 Post by Spotto » Wed Mar 24, 2021 12:59 am

Accompanying tonight’s northbound motorway closure between Regency and Days Roads, southbound entry to the T2T was moved to the new on ramp immediately south of Regency Road. Southbound T2T traffic had to enter at the Regency Road on ramp and use the southern section of the R2P, normal access from the surface road at Pym Street was blocked off with cones. Is this the first time traffic has used any section of the R2P?

mrumley02
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#5100 Post by mrumley02 » Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:03 am

Spotto wrote:Accompanying tonight’s northbound motorway closure between Regency and Days Roads, southbound entry to the T2T was moved to the new on ramp immediately south of Regency Road. Southbound T2T traffic had to enter at the Regency Road on ramp and use the southern section of the R2P, normal access from the surface road at Pym Street was blocked off with cones. Is this the first time traffic has used any section of the R2P?
Drove on this Monday. First time I’ve been on R2P and I’m down there most days.