News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Adelaide Airport & Airlines

#2761 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:55 pm

crawf wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:17 pm
Just saw on the news that Emirates has pulled out of Adelaide :o

Hopefully it's just during the pandemic.
I was just about to post this - hopefully it is indeed until all this is over.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

SouthAussie94
Legendary Member!

#2762 Post by SouthAussie94 » Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:22 pm

crawf wrote:

It makes complete sense for the foreseeable future considering the uncertainty of when borders will reopen. Who knows what state the aviation sector will be in when they eventually do reopen and if Emirates (and others) will be in a position to return. Hopefully they are!
"All we are is bags of bones pushing against a self imposed tide. Just be content with staying alive"

Views and opinions expressed are my own and don't necessarily reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2763 Post by rev » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:44 pm

Emirates pulls out of Adelaide market amid global airline disruption from COVID-19
Paula Thompson, The Advertiser
July 6, 2020 7:42pm
Subscriber only

Emirates is pulling out of the Adelaide market for the foreseeable future, due to the ongoing effects of COVID-19.

The number of job losses in Adelaide has yet to be confirmed. An Emirates spokesman said Adelaide was one of many cities where Emirates operations remain suspended due to ongoing travel or flight restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“We hope to restart our operations in Adelaide when it is commercially and operationally feasible to do so in the future,” he said.

An Adelaide Airport spokesman said it was extremely disappointing news.

“Our thoughts go out to the local Emirates team and their families,” he said.

“These are difficult times for airlines, airports and anyone in aviation. Emirates is a great airline and has been a strong partner of Adelaide’s for nearly eight years – we’ll continue to fight for the Emirates service to return.”

Premier Steven Marshall said it was very disappointing Emirates had made the decision.

“We hope that when demand grows again in a post-COVID environment that Emirates will reinstate its service into Adelaide,” he said.

Transport Workers Union SA/NT branch secretary Ian Smith said news like this was a massive blow to the already struggling aviation sector and it needed more help.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/business ... 36944151bf

ghs

#2764 Post by ghs » Tue Jul 07, 2020 5:32 pm

crawf wrote:

They had already suspended adelaide flights for covid19. This announcement is for them withdrawing permanently.

Vasco
High Rise Poster!

#2765 Post by Vasco » Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:43 pm

ghs wrote:
crawf wrote:

They had already suspended adelaide flights for covid19. This announcement is for them withdrawing permanently.

Based on the following quote in Advertiser from an Emirates spokesperson, not sure that permanent is the most appropriate wording.

“We hope to restart our operations in Adelaide when it is commercially and operationally feasible to do so in the future,” he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nort

#2766 Post by Nort » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 am

Vasco wrote:
Tue Jul 07, 2020 7:43 pm
ghs wrote:
crawf wrote:

Based on the following quote in Advertiser from an Emirates spokesperson, not sure that permanent is the most appropriate wording.

That bolded part is important. Businesses saying they will do something when it's profitable to do so is something that really goes without saying. As things start to get back to normal globally (which I imagine is still a year+ away) the calculations on which routes to resume will likely be more like those involved in deciding whether or not to set up new routes.

SBD

#2767 Post by SBD » Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:01 pm

Nort wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 am
Vasco wrote:
ghs wrote:

That bolded part is important. Businesses saying they will do something when it's profitable to do so is something that really goes without saying. As things start to get back to normal globally (which I imagine is still a year+ away) the calculations on which routes to resume will likely be more like those involved in deciding whether or not to set up new routes.
I would expect the calculation might be the same, but some of the inputs are different. Resuming an existing route has a known demand (lower risk) and established customer base and relationships with airport, suppliers etc.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2768 Post by rev » Wed Jul 08, 2020 2:13 pm

SBD wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 1:01 pm
Nort wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:22 am
Vasco wrote:

I would expect the calculation might be the same, but some of the inputs are different. Resuming an existing route has a known demand (lower risk) and established customer base and relationships with airport, suppliers etc.
That demand though is going to be severely affected by the pandemic. International travel/flights will likely be staged over a period of time once this all blows over.

Saltwater
High Rise Poster!

#2769 Post by Saltwater » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:14 pm

Emirates were hurting on all flights to Australia even before the virus, after qantas largely pulled the pin on their code sharing agreement, and re-routed the kangaroo route back via Changi instead. If Emirates can’t pull enough through traffic out of Adelaide to transit through Dubai they were always going to bin it. Singapore airlines were going to increase frequency to two flights most days from September, and we have to hope that at some point qantas or Jetstar fly Adelaide - Changi direct, given Singapore’s preeminence as an air transport hub.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2770 Post by OlympusAnt » Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:26 pm

Qantas needs to bring back international flights from Adelaide sometime
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

SBD

#2771 Post by SBD » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:42 pm

OlympusAnt wrote:
Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:26 pm
Qantas needs to bring back international flights from Adelaide sometime
With Qantas retiring all of its 747s, and investing in long range 787s, I wonder if there are any end-points that could support non-stop flights to/from Adelaide. Do we have enough migrants, business connections and tourists (in and out) from concentrated places to operate regular flights direct to London (if the range is possible), Italy, Greece, India, Vietnam, South Sudan, Burundi or anywhere else? These are some of the accents I hear around Adelaide, but I don't know if any of them would want to visit back where they came from.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#2772 Post by OlympusAnt » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:45 pm

Maybe an ADL-MEL-SIN or ADL-PER-SIN routing could be an option? Clear international customs in Adelaide and land at the international terminals in PER or MEL. Would also be handy for NZ connections.

I think these sorts of routes might become popular again when international flights resume.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

arki
High Rise Poster!

#2773 Post by arki » Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:27 am

Frankly I think it is disgusting that Qantas doesn't fly international out of Adelaide and far less likely to do so now given current goings on. But what would be the use of having Qantas fly ADL-SIN (aside from making better use of QFF and Qantas Club)? Especially if it means a stop in either Perth of Melb. Direct ADL-SIN is going to be well covered if/when SIA go 2x daily, and I would rather book with SIA right through to another Asian destination if that is where I am heading.

Personally I think Qantas ADL-LAX would be a handy route to have, or at least ADL-HON.

SBD

#2774 Post by SBD » Sat Jul 11, 2020 3:42 pm

arki wrote:
Sat Jul 11, 2020 1:27 am
Frankly I think it is disgusting that Qantas doesn't fly international out of Adelaide and far less likely to do so now given current goings on. But what would be the use of having Qantas fly ADL-SIN (aside from making better use of QFF and Qantas Club)? Especially if it means a stop in either Perth of Melb. Direct ADL-SIN is going to be well covered if/when SIA go 2x daily, and I would rather book with SIA right through to another Asian destination if that is where I am heading.

Personally I think Qantas ADL-LAX would be a handy route to have, or at least ADL-HON.
Agreed. Very few people like stopovers in their travel. I want a direct flight to my destination, or only one stop if possible. I also don't particularly like dom-intl transfers in Sydney, but not sure where else I have tried it for comparison.

Ideally I will fly ADL-<somewhere>-destination. If I want to go to somewhere in North America, LAX or Honolulu improve my chances of only needing one more hop. ADL-<somewhere>-London my choices seem to be Perth or Dubai. Singapore is a good choice for much of the rest of Asia.

I don't know if it's business, freight or leisure travel that drives the airlines' choice of routes/endpoints. I imagine that available affordable flights drive leisure choices more than business or freight. Profitable journeys in both directions would be important for airlines. So a direct flight to/from Adelaide needs to join a hub with lots of onward connections to/from places that people and freight want to link to Adelaide. Does Adelaide have much high-value non-commodity outbound freight? Lobsters and fresh meat I assume are mostly opportunistic freight rather than imports that are specifically sought by the customers wanting SA produce.

1NEEDS2POST
High Rise Poster!

#2775 Post by 1NEEDS2POST » Sat Jul 11, 2020 6:22 pm

Emirates chose to schedule their daily flight AT THE SAME TIME as Qatar. No wonder they are pulling out, there was essentially nothing to differentiate the two flights. The two international airlines flying from the Middle East to Adelaide couldn't coordinate and make one flight at a different time. :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: