[COM] Oaklands Crossing | $174m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: Oaklands Crossing | $174m

#796 Post by Norman » Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 am

I've made a video touring the station. Any feedback is appreciated Image

https://youtu.be/bgk0o4kJRgE

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#797 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon May 06, 2019 2:04 pm

Norman wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 am

Great video - thanks for taking the time to film that!

My friend was saying there some confusion this morning from passengers knowing which of the 2 roof sections to stand under, due to the platform being long enough to accommodate 2 trains coupled together. Did you see that at all?

I also got the impression from the video that you liked the materials used at the station, but my first impression from the train window was that it was a bit of a mashup of styles. The 2 angled roof sections, black roof and steel columns, skylights, light wood panelling, concrete, perhaps some kind of reflective mural (?) with big OAKLANDS lettering, red paint and panels, plus the standard orange Seaford line signage. I'll try and take a closer look next week to see if it's better in person!

how good is he
Legendary Member!

#798 Post by how good is he » Mon May 06, 2019 3:49 pm

Did they ever reveal why they didn't change the name of the stop to Marion? Was it the outcome of community consultation?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#799 Post by Norman » Mon May 06, 2019 4:24 pm

AndyWelsh wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 2:04 pm
Norman wrote:
Mon May 06, 2019 10:55 am

Great video - thanks for taking the time to film that!

My friend was saying there some confusion this morning from passengers knowing which of the 2 roof sections to stand under, due to the platform being long enough to accommodate 2 trains coupled together. Did you see that at all?

I also got the impression from the video that you liked the materials used at the station, but my first impression from the train window was that it was a bit of a mashup of styles. The 2 angled roof sections, black roof and steel columns, skylights, light wood panelling, concrete, perhaps some kind of reflective mural (?) with big OAKLANDS lettering, red paint and panels, plus the standard orange Seaford line signage. I'll try and take a closer look next week to see if it's better in person!
In terms of where to stand at the station, I think with anything that is new it will work out in time where people need to stand. Even in cities like Perth where some trains run in 3 and 6 car formations, people will always work that sort of stuff out in time, and new users and visitors will stand where the rest of the people stand.

When I was there, most people were standing in the front section where the train pulled in, but that was due to the fact the current access points are all on that side of the station.

Regarding the design, I thought the wood looks better in person, but each to their own I guess. To me it represents the trees and woodlands that used to cover the area.

I might take a few photos later this week to see how it looks at night.

AndyWelsh
Legendary Member!

#800 Post by AndyWelsh » Mon May 06, 2019 4:46 pm

Yeah I’m travelling back through there this evening so looking forward to seeing what it looks like under lights!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#801 Post by OlympusAnt » Mon May 06, 2019 4:48 pm

its good to finally see one of the worst crossings in the city finally gone :applause:
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#802 Post by Norman » Mon May 06, 2019 9:18 pm

Train arriving at Oaklands in the evening peak

https://youtu.be/cRsRvF4k1fQ

A few more photos at night

Joelmark
High Rise Poster!

#803 Post by Joelmark » Tue May 07, 2019 7:08 pm

Thanks Norman for all these pics. I think to give DPTI credit these new "super stations" (Bowden, Adelaide Showgrounds, and the earlier completed Gawler line ones like Elizabeth and Munno Para) look great and give a feel to how all of Adelaide's rail system could look if other key stations were given the same treatment. They even show how the idea of transferring passengers from buses to interchanges with decent infrastructure could work in theory, if actually planned and funded properly with bus arrivals linking up with rail departures and vice versa. The government really needs to commit to get on with planning for the electrification of the Outer Harbor line too and updrade key stations on that line to the standard of the new Oaklands which will attract more passenger custom.

OlympusAnt
High Rise Poster!

#804 Post by OlympusAnt » Tue May 07, 2019 7:34 pm

It cost $140mil, you'd expect it to be good.

Cost aside, yes we need upgrades of many stations.
Follow me on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/135625678@N06/

TorrensSA
High Rise Poster!

#805 Post by TorrensSA » Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 pm

We need level crossing removals, station upgrades, increased frequency, electrification, more trains and a city loop. Am I missing anything?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#806 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:59 pm

TorrensSA wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 8:31 pm
We need level crossing removals, station upgrades, increased frequency, electrification, more trains and a city loop. Am I missing anything?
Money...

ml69
Legendary Member!

#807 Post by ml69 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:00 pm

Joelmark wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 7:08 pm
Thanks Norman for all these pics. I think to give DPTI credit these new "super stations" (Bowden, Adelaide Showgrounds, and the earlier completed Gawler line ones like Elizabeth and Munno Para) look great and give a feel to how all of Adelaide's rail system could look if other key stations were given the same treatment. They even show how the idea of transferring passengers from buses to interchanges with decent infrastructure could work in theory, if actually planned and funded properly with bus arrivals linking up with rail departures and vice versa. The government really needs to commit to get on with planning for the electrification of the Outer Harbor line too and updrade key stations on that line to the standard of the new Oaklands which will attract more passenger custom.
Yeah Oaklands looks really good. I still would have preferred for it to be renamed “Marion”, and have Marion renamed to “Westminster” ... but anyway.

Over the next decade or so, I’d like to see a similar “super station” modernisation and rail underpass created for Woodville and Salisbury stations, which are two major hubs on the network. The rail underpasses are critical if we want to increase frequency on newly electrified lines, without imposing a burden on vehicular traffic (particularly when the stations are immediately adjacent to main roads).

Also, Edwardstown and Woodlands Park stations should be closed down and replaced with a new grade-separated “super station” at Castle Plaza, which would connect with the existing bus service on Raglan Ave. Increased park and ride car parks could be provided on the former industrial land facing Raglan Ave.

kymbosa
High Rise Poster!

#808 Post by kymbosa » Wed May 08, 2019 7:03 am

ml69 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:00 pm
Joelmark wrote:

Also, Edwardstown and Woodlands Park stations should be closed down and replaced with a new grade-separated “super station” at Castle Plaza, which would connect with the existing bus service on Raglan Ave. Increased park and ride car parks could be provided on the former industrial land facing Raglan Ave.
Yes, yes, yes. Let’s start linking shops, and transport together. Use the space, those two stations are two close anyway.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#809 Post by claybro » Wed May 08, 2019 10:54 am

ml69 wrote:
Tue May 07, 2019 11:00 pm
Joelmark wrote:
Yeah Oaklands looks really good. I still would have preferred for it to be renamed “Marion”, and have Marion renamed to “Westminster” ... but anyway.

Over the next decade or so, I’d like to see a similar “super station” modernisation and rail underpass created for Woodville and Salisbury stations, which are two major hubs on the network. The rail underpasses are critical if we want to increase frequency on newly electrified lines, without imposing a burden on vehicular traffic (particularly when the stations are immediately adjacent to main roads).

Could not agree more. Radical consolidation of stations, in better locations would enable many more of these modern stations and actually attract many new riders, instead of pandering to a handful of people at each little suburban stop now.

ml69
Legendary Member!

#810 Post by ml69 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:27 pm

claybro wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:54 am
Could not agree more. Radical consolidation of stations, in better locations would enable many more of these modern stations and actually attract many new riders, instead of pandering to a handful of people at each little suburban stop now.
Islington also has huge potential as a park and ride station, and interchanging with buses along Regency Rd. Get rid of Dudley Park station as part of the Islington “super station” rebuild. Lots of new houses being built around the Islington area now as well.

I’d also relocate Kilburn station to a location adjacent to the Churchill Centre. Provide a clear, accessible pedestrian path to the shopping centre and provide park and ride car parking. Rename it “Churchill”. I know it’s quite close to Islington, but I think it is worthwhile to redevelop both stations as I think Churchill Centre is a growing hub of the inner North.