[COM] Bakewell Underpass | $30m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

#196 Post by Omicron » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:20 pm

Ben wrote:I also saw this yesterday and was outraged. It was my understanding there can not be speed cameras on slopes, clearly I was wrong.
Stay away from the Ocean Boulevard/Brighton Rd area on Cement Hill, then.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#197 Post by monotonehell » Fri Jun 26, 2009 6:15 pm

warpspeed wrote:Driving to work this morning, I saw a brand new fixed speed camera being installed on the down hill run to the Bakewell Underpass coming from the city.

Blatant revenue raising, that is so unbelievably pathetic.

I'm not impressed.
It's only "Blatant revenue raising" if you are speeding.

Don't speed.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!

#198 Post by Briggzy_03 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:29 pm

monotonehell wrote:
warpspeed wrote:Driving to work this morning, I saw a brand new fixed speed camera being installed on the down hill run to the Bakewell Underpass coming from the city.

I'm not impressed.

Don't speed.
His username suggests that might not be that easy mono :lol: .

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#199 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:45 pm

monotonehell wrote:

I'm not impressed.

Don't speed.
Or catch Public Transport ;)

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#200 Post by AtD » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:25 pm

Quite interesting time lapse at 5:30

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#201 Post by monotonehell » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:51 pm

AtD wrote:Quite interesting time lapse at 5:30
You missed a -
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#202 Post by JamesXander » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:06 pm

monotonehell wrote:

I'm not impressed.

Don't speed.

No i think it is blatant revenue raising, its on a downhill gradiant on a very very very very safe and new stretch of road. I know it is catching speedsters, but I could think of a billion other locations they could put that camera. But they wouldn't catch as many people, and therefore not get as much return from their investment. Because it is just that, an investment meant to return monies into the state coffers.

Its just been put there because they know they will catch out alot of unawares motorists.

Heres an idea, they use all money raised from that camera to put towards future fixed speed cameras in rural areas. BAM.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#203 Post by crawf » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:35 pm

It's one of the least busiest routes into the city.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#204 Post by AtD » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:56 am

Breaking distances are significantly longer on downhill slopes, therefore speeding downhill is more dangerous than speeding on a flat road.

If you find controlling your speed an overly distracting task, maybe you should hand in your licence.

RayRichards
High Rise Poster!

#205 Post by RayRichards » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:59 pm

After watching that offical government video on the Bakewell Underpass. Why on earth was there such a drama with the South Road/Anzac Underpass?? Such as the time it took for the project to finish and Traffic managmentm issues. The Bakewell project actually had to deal with a 'proper' obstruction such as the rail lines. I know South Road and Anzac Hwy has a load more traffic, but 3 years?? Do you know what road projects around the world have been built in less time! :roll:

But what a outstanding job the McDowell mob did with the project. The neons added that extra touch. :D For $41 million. I reckon the best value for money road project this state has ever done. What other work has this mob done since?

Ray.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#206 Post by Will » Tue Jun 08, 2010 3:57 pm

RayRichards wrote:After watching that offical government video on the Bakewell Underpass. Why on earth was there such a drama with the South Road/Anzac Underpass?? Such as the time it took for the project to finish and Traffic managmentm issues. The Bakewell project actually had to deal with a 'proper' obstruction such as the rail lines. I know South Road and Anzac Hwy has a load more traffic, but 3 years?? Do you know what road projects around the world have been built in less time! :roll:

But what a outstanding job the McDowell mob did with the project. The neons added that extra touch. :D For $41 million. I reckon the best value for money road project this state has ever done. What other work has this mob done since?

Ray.
Why do people perpetuate this myth that the Anzac Hyw underpass took 3 years to build?

It took less than 2 years to build. :roll:

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#207 Post by crawf » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Difference is they closed off Henley Beach Road during construction, between Mile End and the city.

Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#208 Post by Omicron » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:12 am

Of all the possible intersections, school zones, shopping strips, poorly-maintained country highways and potholed crash blackspots in the state, they pick the well-lit, freshly-laid Bakewell Underpass and its defined median, wide shoulders, no through traffic and no roadside pedestrian activity as the one location at which speeds above 65km/h are so fundamentally, frightfully dangerous to public safety that vehicles must be monitored at all hours of every day with a permanent camera.

Right.

drwaddles
High Rise Poster!

#209 Post by drwaddles » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:05 am

Omicron wrote:Of all the possible intersections, school zones, shopping strips, poorly-maintained country highways and potholed crash blackspots in the state, they pick the well-lit, freshly-laid Bakewell Underpass and its defined median, wide shoulders, no through traffic and no roadside pedestrian activity as the one location at which speeds above 65km/h are so fundamentally, frightfully dangerous to public safety that vehicles must be monitored at all hours of every day with a permanent camera.

Right.
Well said.

JamesXander
High Rise Poster!

#210 Post by JamesXander » Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:35 pm

Omicron wrote:Of all the possible intersections, school zones, shopping strips, poorly-maintained country highways and potholed crash blackspots in the state, they pick the well-lit, freshly-laid Bakewell Underpass and its defined median, wide shoulders, no through traffic and no roadside pedestrian activity as the one location at which speeds above 65km/h are so fundamentally, frightfully dangerous to public safety that vehicles must be monitored at all hours of every day with a permanent camera.

Right.

Its not revenue raising though, it was just the logical place to put one!