[COM] Bakewell Underpass | $30m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
User avatar
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by Omicron »

Ben wrote:I also saw this yesterday and was outraged. It was my understanding there can not be speed cameras on slopes, clearly I was wrong.
Stay away from the Ocean Boulevard/Brighton Rd area on Cement Hill, then.
User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Contact:

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by monotonehell »

warpspeed wrote:Driving to work this morning, I saw a brand new fixed speed camera being installed on the down hill run to the Bakewell Underpass coming from the city.

Blatant revenue raising, that is so unbelievably pathetic.

I'm not impressed.
It's only "Blatant revenue raising" if you are speeding.

Don't speed.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.
Briggzy_03
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:34 pm

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by Briggzy_03 »

monotonehell wrote:
warpspeed wrote:Driving to work this morning, I saw a brand new fixed speed camera being installed on the down hill run to the Bakewell Underpass coming from the city.

Blatant revenue raising, that is so unbelievably pathetic.

I'm not impressed.
It's only "Blatant revenue raising" if you are speeding.

Don't speed.
His username suggests that might not be that easy mono :lol: .
User avatar
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5997
Joined: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:06 pm

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by Norman »

monotonehell wrote:
warpspeed wrote:Driving to work this morning, I saw a brand new fixed speed camera being installed on the down hill run to the Bakewell Underpass coming from the city.

Blatant revenue raising, that is so unbelievably pathetic.

I'm not impressed.
It's only "Blatant revenue raising" if you are speeding.

Don't speed.
Or catch Public Transport ;)
User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by AtD »

Quite interesting time lapse at 5:30
User avatar
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5466
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:10 am
Location: Adelaide, East End.
Contact:

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by monotonehell »

AtD wrote:Quite interesting time lapse at 5:30
You missed a -
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.
JamesXander
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:07 pm

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by JamesXander »

monotonehell wrote:
warpspeed wrote:Driving to work this morning, I saw a brand new fixed speed camera being installed on the down hill run to the Bakewell Underpass coming from the city.

Blatant revenue raising, that is so unbelievably pathetic.

I'm not impressed.
It's only "Blatant revenue raising" if you are speeding.

Don't speed.

No i think it is blatant revenue raising, its on a downhill gradiant on a very very very very safe and new stretch of road. I know it is catching speedsters, but I could think of a billion other locations they could put that camera. But they wouldn't catch as many people, and therefore not get as much return from their investment. Because it is just that, an investment meant to return monies into the state coffers.

Its just been put there because they know they will catch out alot of unawares motorists.


Heres an idea, they use all money raised from that camera to put towards future fixed speed cameras in rural areas. BAM.
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5435
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by crawf »

It's one of the least busiest routes into the city.
User avatar
AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 4581
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2005 7:00 pm
Location: Sydney

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by AtD »

Breaking distances are significantly longer on downhill slopes, therefore speeding downhill is more dangerous than speeding on a flat road.

If you find controlling your speed an overly distracting task, maybe you should hand in your licence.
RayRichards
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:55 pm
Location: Glenelg South

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by RayRichards »

After watching that offical government video on the Bakewell Underpass. Why on earth was there such a drama with the South Road/Anzac Underpass?? Such as the time it took for the project to finish and Traffic managmentm issues. The Bakewell project actually had to deal with a 'proper' obstruction such as the rail lines. I know South Road and Anzac Hwy has a load more traffic, but 3 years?? Do you know what road projects around the world have been built in less time! :roll:

But what a outstanding job the McDowell mob did with the project. The neons added that extra touch. :D For $41 million. I reckon the best value for money road project this state has ever done. What other work has this mob done since?

Ray.
Will
VIP Member
VIP Member
Posts: 5610
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:48 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by Will »

RayRichards wrote:After watching that offical government video on the Bakewell Underpass. Why on earth was there such a drama with the South Road/Anzac Underpass?? Such as the time it took for the project to finish and Traffic managmentm issues. The Bakewell project actually had to deal with a 'proper' obstruction such as the rail lines. I know South Road and Anzac Hwy has a load more traffic, but 3 years?? Do you know what road projects around the world have been built in less time! :roll:

But what a outstanding job the McDowell mob did with the project. The neons added that extra touch. :D For $41 million. I reckon the best value for money road project this state has ever done. What other work has this mob done since?

Ray.
Why do people perpetuate this myth that the Anzac Hyw underpass took 3 years to build?

It took less than 2 years to build. :roll:
crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member
Posts: 5435
Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2006 7:49 pm
Location: Adelaide

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by crawf »

Difference is they closed off Henley Beach Road during construction, between Mile End and the city.
User avatar
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!
Posts: 2336
Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2007 2:46 pm

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by Omicron »

Of all the possible intersections, school zones, shopping strips, poorly-maintained country highways and potholed crash blackspots in the state, they pick the well-lit, freshly-laid Bakewell Underpass and its defined median, wide shoulders, no through traffic and no roadside pedestrian activity as the one location at which speeds above 65km/h are so fundamentally, frightfully dangerous to public safety that vehicles must be monitored at all hours of every day with a permanent camera.

Right.
drwaddles
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 144
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:12 pm
Location: EAS Bay 1

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by drwaddles »

Omicron wrote:Of all the possible intersections, school zones, shopping strips, poorly-maintained country highways and potholed crash blackspots in the state, they pick the well-lit, freshly-laid Bakewell Underpass and its defined median, wide shoulders, no through traffic and no roadside pedestrian activity as the one location at which speeds above 65km/h are so fundamentally, frightfully dangerous to public safety that vehicles must be monitored at all hours of every day with a permanent camera.

Right.
Well said.
JamesXander
High Rise Poster!
Posts: 487
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:07 pm

[COM] Re: #COMPLETED - Bakewell Underpass Project

Post by JamesXander »

Omicron wrote:Of all the possible intersections, school zones, shopping strips, poorly-maintained country highways and potholed crash blackspots in the state, they pick the well-lit, freshly-laid Bakewell Underpass and its defined median, wide shoulders, no through traffic and no roadside pedestrian activity as the one location at which speeds above 65km/h are so fundamentally, frightfully dangerous to public safety that vehicles must be monitored at all hours of every day with a permanent camera.

Right.

Its not revenue raising though, it was just the logical place to put one!
Post Reply