News & Discussion: Trams

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Haso
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: Trams

#2371 Post by Haso » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:28 am

An early morning walk along North Terrace, part three (Sunday 4/2/18)

NT040218g.jpg
NT040218g.jpg (192.59 KiB) Viewed 3616 times
NT040218i.jpg
NT040218i.jpg (149.35 KiB) Viewed 3616 times

I did not know there is a limit when you try to attach the photos... so I have to do this in three parts... Sorry.
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

claybro
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2372 Post by claybro » Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:07 pm

Is there any reason for the massive axpanse of concrete between the tracks north of nth Terrace? There is no crossover. It does not look the best.

arki
High Rise Poster!

#2373 Post by arki » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:28 pm

claybro wrote:
Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:07 pm
Is there any reason for the massive axpanse of concrete between the tracks north of nth Terrace? There is no crossover. It does not look the best.
I'm assuming (hoping) that there will be some landscaping including flower/bush plantings between the tracks, hence the large gap.

adelaide transport
High Rise Poster!

#2374 Post by adelaide transport » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 pm

The first of the latest delivery of ex Madrid trams is sitting in the front yard at Glengowrie Depot and has now received its number --207 maybe not long before it goes out on trials(probably after hours).

The Scooter Guy

#2375 Post by The Scooter Guy » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:05 pm

Looking forward to seeing those new Citadis trams.
Last edited by The Scooter Guy on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

rubberman

#2376 Post by rubberman » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:25 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 pm
The first of the latest delivery of ex Madrid trams is sitting in the front yard at Glengowrie Depot and has now received its number --207 maybe not long before it goes out on trials(probably after hours).
Trial Judge: Tram number 207. You stand accused of causing corrugations, excessive wear on curves and slow running on open ballast track. How do you plead? Guilty, or Not Guilty?

Tram 207: Soy culpable, pero como no hablas español ... toca la bocina

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#2377 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 pm

adelaide transport wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 pm
207 (Madrid 150) was sighted in December inside the tram barn with the dual numbers.
rubberman wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:25 pm
Trial Judge: Tram number 207. You stand accused of causing corrugations, excessive wear on curves and slow running on open ballast track. How do you plead? Guilty, or Not Guilty?

Tram 207: Soy culpable, pero como no hablas español ... toca la bocina
A case of rough (track) justice? :(

Will409
Legendary Member!

#2378 Post by Will409 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:30 pm

D0935264-5B70-4306-9D92-E4ED12046A65.jpeg
Madrid 150/Adelaide 207 at Glengowrie Depot 19/12/2017
D0935264-5B70-4306-9D92-E4ED12046A65.jpeg (2.02 MiB) Viewed 3049 times

[Shuz]

#2379 Post by [Shuz] » Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:18 pm

Fun fact:

The braille on the doors are in Spanish.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2380 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 am

Seriously government pull your finger out. The fact this extension will be on going during the fringe and light shows on north terrace is a joke and shows how badly the government handles these big projects. Originally to be complete in December, then January, then February now the minister is saying its on schedule for completion end of March. When i go past the workers are all standing around chit chatting. there needs to be more accountability on these project companies. If you don;t finish by a certain date you get financial penalized, that is what happens in the private sector with construction.This was an opportunity to show the many visitors to our city some of the changes going on.

Its not related to trams but similar story with the Frome street bikeway. I'm surprised its had no press. It was meant to be finished in Mid December, here we are mid Feb and there is still at least another month of work to go, even just yesterday they had jack hammered up a whole section of new paving and concrete to install more cables. How can all these government infrastructure projects be so poorly manged... The second stage Grenfell to Rundle was meant to start 8th January. It won't start now till mid April due to this first stage being delayed by so much.

rant over haha

Haso
High Rise Poster!

#2381 Post by Haso » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:26 am

In all fairness and not related to the Advertiser article below… I do not understand why they need that much time to complete all works along North Terrace. I hope they will not have “the opening ceremony” on 17/3/2018 or one week before the election.

Today article
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/entertain ... 1bfb409837
Image The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.

rubberman

#2382 Post by rubberman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 am

Ben wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:05 am
Seriously government pull your finger out. The fact this extension will be on going during the fringe and light shows on north terrace is a joke and shows how badly the government handles these big projects. Originally to be complete in December, then January, then February now the minister is saying its on schedule for completion end of March. When i go past the workers are all standing around chit chatting. there needs to be more accountability on these project companies. If you don;t finish by a certain date you get financial penalized, that is what happens in the private sector with construction.This was an opportunity to show the many visitors to our city some of the changes going on.

Its not related to trams but similar story with the Frome street bikeway. I'm surprised its had no press. It was meant to be finished in Mid December, here we are mid Feb and there is still at least another month of work to go, even just yesterday they had jack hammered up a whole section of new paving and concrete to install more cables. How can all these government infrastructure projects be so poorly manged... The second stage Grenfell to Rundle was meant to start 8th January. It won't start now till mid April due to this first stage being delayed by so much.

rant over haha

Ben,

The brochure I got in July has the trams running "late first quarter 2018". So, where's the delay? Where's the constant date change you are on about?

I know it is just before an election, and it's fashionable in America to have alternative facts, but let's keep in mind the fact that DPTI people are human, and to have a complex project come in pretty much on time and budget, and then have people slag them for delays that never occurred must be pretty depressing.

I don't know what job you do ben, but I sincerely hope that when you do a task that comes in on line with expectations, that someone doesn't outright slag you and accuse you of being incompetent. How would YOU feel being on the end of that? Further, being public servants, they get no right of reply. How would you feel about being accused of incompetence AND not being able to reply?

Not cool, ben. Not cool.

I have been prepared to criticise, as anyone here can see. But I can back up criticisms of things such as the Citadis or centre islands, or Adelaide Bridge strengthening with references, or pointing people in the direction of such. Criticism is good. But for the love of all that is holy, be able to back it up. Further, what I have also done is point out reasons quietly to DPTI too. Whether they agree or not is up to them, but the opportunity to put their case is given.

[Shuz]

#2383 Post by [Shuz] » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:03 am

Actually Ben is right on the money.

DPTI are absolutely useless. They couldn't run a chook raffle and have demonstrated their incompetentence time and time again. That whole place needs a good clean out and restart and get some people onboard who actually know what they're doing.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2384 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 am

rubberman wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 am
Ben wrote:

rant over haha

Ben,

The brochure I got in July has the trams running "late first quarter 2018". So, where's the delay? Where's the constant date change you are on about?

I know it is just before an election, and it's fashionable in America to have alternative facts, but let's keep in mind the fact that DPTI people are human, and to have a complex project come in pretty much on time and budget, and then have people slag them for delays that never occurred must be pretty depressing.

I don't know what job you do ben, but I sincerely hope that when you do a task that comes in on line with expectations, that someone doesn't outright slag you and accuse you of being incompetent. How would YOU feel being on the end of that? Further, being public servants, they get no right of reply. How would you feel about being accused of incompetence AND not being able to reply?

Not cool, ben. Not cool.

I have been prepared to criticise, as anyone here can see. But I can back up criticisms of things such as the Citadis or centre islands, or Adelaide Bridge strengthening with references, or pointing people in the direction of such. Criticism is good. But for the love of all that is holy, be able to back it up. Further, what I have also done is point out reasons quietly to DPTI too. Whether they agree or not is up to them, but the opportunity to put their case is given.
I don't know when your brochure was dated but I was first told December directly from Dpti in June of last year.
Hi Ben,

Thank you for your email. The department is currently finalising the detailed design.

Early works are expected to commence in July 2017 with trams operational by December 2017.

Kind regards,
City Tram Extension
Project Team
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
T 1300 794 880 • E [email protected]
PO Box 1533 ADELAIDE SA 5001 • www.citytramextension.sa.gov.au
There are numerous articles - which i will locate later when i have time of them announcing when it will be completed. Each date is a month later then the previous. In my line of work and I would suggest nearly all jobs have deadlines. If you do not meet those deadlines you are accountable. It appears to me that government is not accountable to deadlines and are all too happy to keep moving the goal posts. I think its pathetic and we need to demand more.

You would prefer if something is not up to standard, does not meet a due date or is causing other business issues that we remain quiet because we might hurt someone at DPTI's feelings? Seriously? Imagine the farce if that happened.

rubberman

#2385 Post by rubberman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 am

Ben wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:17 am
rubberman wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 9:45 am
Ben wrote:

rant over haha

Ben,

Not cool, ben. Not cool.

I don't know when your brochure was dated but I was first told December directly from Dpti in June of last year.
Hi Ben,

Thank you for your email. The department is currently finalising the detailed design.

Early works are expected to commence in July 2017 with trams operational by December 2017.

Kind regards,
City Tram Extension
Project Team
Department of Planning, Transport and Infrastructure
T 1300 794 880 • E [email protected]
PO Box 1533 ADELAIDE SA 5001 • www.citytramextension.sa.gov.au
There are numerous articles - which i will locate later when i have time of them announcing when it will be completed. Each date is a month later then the previous. In my line of work and I would suggest nearly all jobs have deadlines. If you do not meet those deadlines you are accountable. It appears to me that government is not accountable to deadlines and are all too happy to keep moving the goal posts. I think its pathetic and we need to demand more.

You would prefer if something is not up to standard, does not meet a due date or is causing other business issues that we remain quiet because we might hurt someone at DPTI's feelings? Seriously? Imagine the farce if that happened.
Ben,

The dates I got from my brochure were from July 2017, and represent the official timeline. The email you got was clearly stated as being in the final design stage.

So, you took some advanced information that was clearly still not fully approved, and think that's it?

Well, that's a pretty good way to make sure in future nobody lets any information out before the official announcement. Ta ben, ta.

Next, let's be clear, the official timeline said end of first quarter 2018. That's what was officially announced. That's what they look like making. Do you understand that? It's not hard.

So, next, trying to characterise my position as defending something not up to standard is simply absurd. You are being silly, again. I have made many criticisms where I believe such criticisms are justified - with reasons. I have no history of defending substandard designs or operations or project management. Just read this forum ffs.

An email from a department with clear cautions (detail design being finalised - you do realise what that means, I hope), does not constitute much of a fig leaf ben.

I must admit that when I see this sort of nonsense, I figure the government might just as well try to open the line on 17th March. If there's political mud slinging, then there's no point hanging back an being virtuous.