[COM] Torrens Junction Underpass

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Torrens Junction Underpass

#31 Post by Nathan » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:58 pm

crawf wrote:
Nathan wrote:One little nugget for you though - It won't eliminate a set of lights. Once the grade separation is done, a signalised pedestrian crossing is likely to be installed half way between Fourth St and Fifth St. (An unsignalised crossing was installed as part of the recent widening — not signalised initially because two sets of lights was deemed too much.)
Hmm... is there still plans for the pedestrian overpass?
No. There'll be an underpass though, alongside the rail line. You can see it in the project renders/video. Certainly not the statement piece the pedestrian bridge was going to be, and not particularly a great solution from a safety perspective (a narrow path with only one entry/exit point at each end, with no visibility from traffic, for the length of 7 lanes of traffic + 2 medians + ramps)

ChillyPhilly

#32 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:09 pm

Nathan wrote:
crawf wrote:
Nathan wrote:One little nugget for you though - It won't eliminate a set of lights. Once the grade separation is done, a signalised pedestrian crossing is likely to be installed half way between Fourth St and Fifth St. (An unsignalised crossing was installed as part of the recent widening — not signalised initially because two sets of lights was deemed too much.)
Hmm... is there still plans for the pedestrian overpass?
No. There'll be an underpass though, alongside the rail line. You can see it in the project renders/video. Certainly not the statement piece the pedestrian bridge was going to be, and not particularly a great solution from a safety perspective (a narrow path with only one entry/exit point at each end, with no visibility from traffic, for the length of 7 lanes of traffic + 2 medians + ramps)
Sigh...
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

I Follow PAFC
High Rise Poster!

#33 Post by I Follow PAFC » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:56 pm

Outer Harbor and Grange lines closed between 2 to 22 January 2017.

The closure has also been timed to coincide with other works, including the $238 million Torrens Rail Junction project to separate passenger rail, freight rail and road traffic, and a $4 million upgrade to the Port River rail bridge.

http://www.t2talliance.com.au/wp88/wp-c ... cement.pdf
I Follow The Port Adelaide Football Club
https://www.facebook.com/IFollowThePAFC/

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#34 Post by Norman » Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Plans are now up on the DAC website. The interesting points are:
-Temporary track will be established for the duration of construction works
-The tram connection is still on the maps, entering between Drayton and East Streets
-Discussions about the heritage listed Bowden Station building are continuing.
The train is still in an uncovered trench, but the plan includes "a covered plaza is planned to be located to the East of the bridge area [Gibson Street bridge] to provide active visual surveillance". Like many others I agree that the trench should be covered.

Nathan

#35 Post by Nathan » Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:27 pm

I was told that DPTI was going to hold a community consultation on the project, and yet here we have plans being submitted... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#36 Post by Norman » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:46 am

I think the community consultation will be for details of the station finish only :/

victorious80
Gold-Member ;)

#37 Post by victorious80 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:10 am

Still very early days guys... A preferred tenderer has not even been selected. Late this year it is likely a design and construct contract will be awarded, with detailed design taking place in first half of next year. There will be ample opportunity for all stakeholders to influence final design. It is far from locked in.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#38 Post by Norman » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:23 am

Thought I'd cross post this in here:

Construction would see temporary tracks built adjacent to the site during major works. All the details are in the documents below:
http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/ ... ents_2.pdf
http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/ ... ents_3.pdf

There's a lot of detail about the new station here:

http://www.dac.sa.gov.au/__data/assets/ ... ents_4.pdf

Here's some of the renders:

PeFe

#39 Post by PeFe » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:44 am

It looks very....barren. Not at all like the other recently built train stations in Adelaide.
And that looks like a "heavy" rail train in the renders.....maybe the tram idea is dead (?)
I am just glad that Bowden is finally being rebuilt, I hope they make a big attempt to integrate it into the new surrounding developments.

Nathan

#40 Post by Nathan » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:05 am

As a local, my biggest concerns are the narrow walkways (why have wide pedestrian areas leading up only to funnel people into a 1m wide cage?), the lack of any shelter for those waiting at the station, and the safety issues that come with a pedestrian underpass going under a 7/8 lane road.

The integration with the development very poor.

Incidentally, there will be a brief community consultation this Sunday. We got a mail drop on Monday about it (so, less than a weeks notice).

ChillyPhilly

#41 Post by ChillyPhilly » Mon Nov 14, 2016 11:53 pm

I don't think the idea of a trench is sensitive to the Bowden TOD and what it's trying to achieve, at all.

This just needed to be underground.

Patrick_27

#42 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:50 am

ChillyPhilly wrote:I don't think the idea of a trench is sensitive to the Bowden TOD and what it's trying to achieve, at all.

Weigh up the difference in cost, trench vs. tunnel...

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#43 Post by Westside » Tue Nov 15, 2016 12:21 pm

Do developers in Adelaide have the appetite to 'rent' the air above railway lines from the Government ad infinitum?

I suspect this may be one of the barriers between getting our money back from a tunnel vs a trench.

ChillyPhilly

#44 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Nov 18, 2016 1:54 am

Patrick_27 wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:I don't think the idea of a trench is sensitive to the Bowden TOD and what it's trying to achieve, at all.

Weigh up the difference in cost, trench vs. tunnel...
I get that a trench is cheaper than a tunnel, but it would still create a quintessential barrier right through part of the development.

Nathan

#45 Post by Nathan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:04 am

There's a possible middle ground too, where you have a trench, but much wider walkways across so it feels more like a covered line that has openings, rather than an open line with small crossings. If they integrate shelter coming off ground level, it can also give the impression of a much narrower trench.