[COM] Adelaide Airport T1 Terminal | $260m

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
bm7500
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #Completed : Adelaide Airport

#151 Post by bm7500 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:12 pm

Couple of things to clarify guys. Firstly that report stated John Anderson as Minister for Transport, that is incorrect as the Minister is now Mark Vaile and has been for about 2 years.

Secondly, The airport terminal carpark area is subject to the same Obstacle Limitation Surface (OLS) requirements like any other suburb within a certain radius of an airport. Therefore the OLS plan for Adelaide Airport specifies an effictive height limit of 8 stories because of its proximity to an ajacent runway.

As for extending the runway's, there is no real need as the heaviest regular visitor to Adelaide is the 747 which can take off and land without a problem ablbeit not fully laden. The new Airbus A380 will actually use less runway length wise but more width wise. So the next logical step would be to increase the runway shoulder, should A380 services become regular... and thats not likeley to happen for years yet.

Moving the airport to RAAF Edinburg will not happen as the Federal government does not want it there and neither will the nearby residents I would suggest. The only other real alternative is to go back to the future and look at the vast tract of land at Gillman. This would permit 24 Hour operation and far less impact on any neighboring suburbs........ Still this is unlikeley given all of the recent & continuing investment in the West Beach site.
ADELAIDE SINGAPORE LONDON BERLIN AMSTERDAM PARIS TOKYO AUCKLAND DOHA DUBLIN HONG KONG BANGKOK REYKJAVIK ROME MADRID BUDAPEST COPENHAGEN ZURICH BRUSSELS VIENNA PRAGUE STOCKHOLM LUXEMBOURG BRATISLAVA NASSAU DUBAI BAHRAIN KUALA LUMPUR HELSINKI GENEVA

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#152 Post by rev » Fri Aug 31, 2007 1:44 pm

Sofitel :?:

aussie2000
High Rise Poster!

#153 Post by aussie2000 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:48 pm

i would like to see another Hilton hotel

Ho Really
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#154 Post by Ho Really » Mon Sep 03, 2007 11:11 am

bm7500 wrote:Secondly, The airport terminal carpark area is subject to the same Obstacle Limitation Surface (OLS) requirements like any other suburb within a certain radius of an airport. Therefore the OLS plan for Adelaide Airport specifies an effictive height limit of 8 stories because of its proximity to an ajacent runway.
I haven't read up on the OLS, but it must have something to do with radar issues, correct?
As for extending the runway's, there is no real need as the heaviest regular visitor to Adelaide is the 747 which can take off and land without a problem ablbeit not fully laden. The new Airbus A380 will actually use less runway length wise but more width wise. So the next logical step would be to increase the runway shoulder, should A380 services become regular... and thats not likeley to happen for years yet.
I was referring to runway extensions at Edinburgh if that was ever going to be used as our International Airport. Has AAL mentioned anything about widening the runways?
Moving the airport to RAAF Edinburg will not happen as the Federal government does not want it there and neither will the nearby residents I would suggest. The only other real alternative is to go back to the future and look at the vast tract of land at Gillman. This would permit 24 Hour operation and far less impact on any neighboring suburbs........ Still this is unlikeley given all of the recent & continuing investment in the West Beach site.
Hasn't Gillman got its own issues, if it ever was contemplated?

Cheers
Confucius say: Dumb man climb tree to get cherry, wise man spread limbs.

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#155 Post by ozisnowman » Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:14 pm

momentkiller wrote:So aside from this expansion, in the future would the old domestic terminal site become T2 - for international terminal? That is what i have imagined it to be.
I have only thought this because the current terminal could easily serve as an domestic purpose terminal, as existing aerobridges reserved for international flights are linked conviniently to the domestic transfer level. Customs could turn into a flight lounge, and the international baggage claim is right next to the domestic baggage claim (only seperated by a wall on the north-east side)
I also believe that is the reason they call the current terminal T1 and like you say with the current design it will become the
domestic terminal. I believe T2 will be built where the current catering building etc are next to the old domestic and will
be semi circle shaped and will probably have 8 airbridges catering for international flights.

Ho Really

#156 Post by Ho Really » Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:01 pm

ozisnowman wrote:
momentkiller wrote:So aside from this expansion, in the future would the old domestic terminal site become T2 - for international terminal? That is what i have imagined it to be.
I have only thought this because the current terminal could easily serve as an domestic purpose terminal, as existing aerobridges reserved for international flights are linked conviniently to the domestic transfer level. Customs could turn into a flight lounge, and the international baggage claim is right next to the domestic baggage claim (only seperated by a wall on the north-east side)
I also believe that is the reason they call the current terminal T1 and like you say with the current design it will become the
domestic terminal. I believe T2 will be built where the current catering building etc are next to the old domestic and will
be semi circle shaped and will probably have 8 airbridges catering for international flights.
Why separate the terminals when they can just easily expand T1? Maybe T2 (old domestic terminal) will be for new low-cost carriers?

Cheers

rhino

#157 Post by rhino » Mon Sep 17, 2007 9:54 am

TWO years after Premier Mike Rann announced Adelaide Airport would be the first in Australia to be solar-powered, the original concept has been axed.
From Adelaide Now:

MICHAEL OWEN, POLITICAL REPORTER
September 17, 2007 02:15am

TWO years after Premier Mike Rann announced Adelaide Airport would be the first in Australia to be solar-powered, the original concept has been axed.
An eight-month process launched by Adelaide Airport Limited in April to "enter into an arrangement" with an organisation or consortium "for the design, supply and installation" of the solar energy system has been scrapped weeks from a planned media launch.
Adelaide Airport spokesman John McArdle said the consortiums were told last month the initial concept "was dead".
An AAL-State Government working group had decided to "go for a completely new concept".
"We went back to the drawing board," he said.
Details of the new plan are still being developed.
On October 9, 2005, a news release by Mr Rann said the Airport Solar Project would "demonstrate our state's commitment to renewable energy".
"These solar panels - to be installed on the north-east end of the airport roof - will be a visual reminder to the hundreds of thousands of passengers flying into and out of Adelaide every year that we lead the nation in solar energy," Mr Rann said in the release.
"The new panels that will measure about 30m by 35m in area are estimated to save the new airport about $35,000 a year in electricity costs."
After inquiries by The Advertiser , however, AAL admitted the project brief for shortlisted consortiums to "quote for the construction and commissioning of the system" had been abandoned last month.
AAL documents obtained by The Advertiser show after receiving 11 submissions, AAL in May shortlisted three consortiums. They were BP Solar/Grieve Gillet/Martins Integrated/Wallbridge & Gilbert; Origin/Hassell/Wallbridge and Gilbert and GHD/TEQMan.
The documents state AAL and the Government had agreed on solar systems for the Terminal 1 veranda on the Level 2 drop-off, Vickers Vimy Memorial Building and adjacent walkway and the Cowandilla-Mile End linear park.
Part of the project involved $10,000 of funding to shortlisted parties for entry into a design competition. "The proponents of the final design selected by AAL and the South Australian Government will be expected to construct and commission the system by end October to November 2007," the AAL documents state.
AAL was to oversee the construction phase, with consultant Sustainable Focus to work with the successful party, AAL and ETSA to "ensure satisfactory grid connection of the installed system".
The total budget allocated for the project was $837,000, including any connection costs charged by ETSA.
The working group was negotiating the feasibility of the new "concept" with a private organisation, Mr McArdle said. "Another idea, used within the city of Adelaide, has been identified," he said.
He declined to provide further details.
cheers,
Rhino

Ho Really

#158 Post by Ho Really » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:32 am

Disappointing.
The working group was negotiating the feasibility of the new "concept" with a private organisation, Mr McArdle said. "Another idea, used within the city of Adelaide, has been identified," he said.
Anyone know what it is? I guess it is still solar powered but more efficient.

Cheers

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#159 Post by Ben » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:41 am

Ho Really wrote:Disappointing.
Anyone know what it is? I guess it is still solar powered but more efficient.

Cheers
Probably those 10cm windmills above the central market and town hall.

Ho Really

#160 Post by Ho Really » Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:58 am

beamer85 wrote:Probably those 10cm windmills above the central market and town hall.
Small windmills would make sense down at the Airport. How much power can these little things generate?

Cheers

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#161 Post by Pistol » Tue Sep 25, 2007 8:58 pm

Any ideas when the 06-07 pax figures come out? I have been noticing a lot more wide bodied aircraft flying overhead lately so I am expecting a significant increase in numbers. Did I hear right that Qantas has allocated a couple of 747s to cope with passenger demand for the GF?
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

ozisnowman
High Rise Poster!

#162 Post by ozisnowman » Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:59 pm

Was an article in yesterdays tiser about increasing flights etc. Cathay Pacific will in the next
few weeks be flying in daily. And Air NZ will start daily flights Feb next year so international
passengers will surely go up as will domestic. Cant wait for Emirates to start flying into Adelaide.

I bet qantas will be surprised in a few years time when the number flying on their domestic
routes does not meet their expectations because all the international travellers will be
flying Singapore Airlines, Cathay Pacific, Air NZ and Malaysian rather than transferring
to Sydney or Melbourne.

Pistol
Legendary Member!

#163 Post by Pistol » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:59 pm

From AAL website:
In partnership with our customer airlines, Adelaide Airport Ltd (AAL) processed almost 6.3 million passengers in 2006/07, an increase of 8.1 per cent on the previous year. The biggest jump was recorded by international travelers, with a 26.5 per cent increase to 453,000 passengers over the past year. Domestic passenger numbers increased by 6.2 per cent to 5.33 million, while regional passenger numbers increased by 14.7 per cent to 473,000.

The exceptional growth in international passengers had been fuelled by an increase in the number of international flights offering more choice for SA travelers and visitors. Over the past year we have seen an increase in the number of flights to Hong Kong and Auckland. Both Cathay Pacific and Air New Zealand have announced that services to these destinations will operate daily in the very near future, complimenting the daily Singapore services. Whilst Qantas recently ceased its services to New Zealand, they have increased capacity on domestic services, particularly to Perth. In addition, Jetstar has increased the number of flights between Adelaide and Cairns, and we anticipate an extra flight will soon be added to the Sunshine Coast.

Increased regional passenger numbers have been particularly driven by extra services to Port Lincoln and Mt Gambier by Regional Express and Alliance now operate from Adelaide with flights to Olympic Dam and Broken Hill. Work on “expanding” the main terminal, T1, by potential addition of one new aerobridge and increased regional aircraft parking will start within the next 12 months. We are also currently considering whether to re-open the former domestic terminal building (T2) to cater for the State’s mining boom charter operators and new low cost carriers. Growth is expected to continue as more people are attracted to South Australia to support our burgeoning defence and mining industries, and as we seek to attract more flights and new carriers to Adelaide.
Sticking feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#164 Post by Norman » Sat Oct 06, 2007 6:43 pm

That's great news for SA, especially the increase in International visitors.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#165 Post by rev » Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:14 am

Pistol78 wrote:Any ideas when the 06-07 pax figures come out? I have been noticing a lot more wide bodied aircraft flying overhead lately so I am expecting a significant increase in numbers. Did I hear right that Qantas has allocated a couple of 747s to cope with passenger demand for the GF?
Late reply to this, but yeah they had four 747's flying to Melbourne.

And thats brilliant news about Cathay Pacific and Air New Zealand going to offer daily flights.