COM: Glenelg Tramline Upgrade

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Omicron
Super Size Scraper Poster!

Re: Glenelg Tram Line Upgrade

#1936 Post by Omicron » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:10 pm

I note with interest how the old-style timetables have been kept for the tram route (and many bus routes, too). A good decision, in my opinion. I should hope they are not earmarked for change any time soon.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1937 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 11, 2008 1:35 pm

Omicron wrote:I note with interest how the old-style timetables have been kept for the tram route (and many bus routes, too). A good decision, in my opinion. I should hope they are not earmarked for change any time soon.
Probably not an actual decision, they just don't want to redo the layout for all the routes at once. The new layouts aren't great by the way, they're folded the wrong way for the horizontal tables and are very hard to read. All of my routes they've left out the connecting bus info, so I have to guess which bus to take from the city. Not a huge problem during the day because the frequency is high, but at night with a 15 minute frequency from the city and an hour between night buses it's a bit hit and miss.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Omicron

#1938 Post by Omicron » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:04 pm

monotonehell wrote:
Omicron wrote:I note with interest how the old-style timetables have been kept for the tram route (and many bus routes, too). A good decision, in my opinion. I should hope they are not earmarked for change any time soon.
Probably not an actual decision, they just don't want to redo the layout for all the routes at once. The new layouts aren't great by the way, they're folded the wrong way for the horizontal tables and are very hard to read. All of my routes they've left out the connecting bus info, so I have to guess which bus to take from the city. Not a huge problem during the day because the frequency is high, but at night with a 15 minute frequency from the city and an hour between night buses it's a bit hit and miss.
I don't like how so much detail about stops along the route have been left out. The old timetables are more conducive to casual suburban travel, whereas the new timetables just want to shuttle everyone into town as quickly as possible from the origin of any given route.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1939 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:10 pm

Omicron wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
I don't like how so much detail about stops along the route have been left out. The old timetables are more conducive to casual suburban travel, whereas the new timetables just want to shuttle everyone into town as quickly as possible from the origin of any given route.
Oh yes that's another point, the old maps had a light image of an actual street directory under the route. So you could actually work out where you wanted to go and what stop to get off at. Now they're like some sort of schematic diagram with very little reference to real world locations. Why is it when people try to make things more "informative and useful" they end up being next to useless?

muzzamo
Legendary Member!

#1940 Post by muzzamo » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:58 pm

monotonehell wrote:Oh yes that's another point, the old maps had a light image of an actual street directory under the route. So you could actually work out where you wanted to go and what stop to get off at. Now they're like some sort of schematic diagram with very little reference to real world locations. Why is it when people try to make things more "informative and useful" they end up being next to useless?
Because it is the public service... These changes probably justified a whole team of people for 12 months....

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1941 Post by Norman » Fri Apr 11, 2008 7:09 pm

The new map underlays are actually more up-to-date, and the street directory was always messy. At least now you can actually see where the streets and main roads are.

The new timetable layouts also conform to other timetable styles around the world.

From this year on, every new or updated timetable will come in the new look, including the Gawler Train Timetable. Once the tram timetable will be updated, it will be in the new style as well.

However, I wish they would have set times for each stop as they do in Europe. Being at Stop 8 when only stops 1 and 17 are timed stops must be a bummer I would think.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1942 Post by monotonehell » Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:36 am

Norman wrote:The new map underlays are actually more up-to-date, and the street directory was always messy. At least now you can actually see where the streets and main roads are.
Sorry to be contradictory but, RUBBISH! :lol: At least on my timetables the new "maps" are a seemingly random load of grey squiggles with no names except the streets that the bus runs on. This might work in some areas, but in others it's just a nonsense of lines. They used to have street names on the old maps so you could orientate yourself with respect to the bus route. Now I have to open a street directory in addition to a timetable.

And I still say that they are folded the wrong way. The tables run horizontally, but are folded vertically. That means you either need to unfold the entire thing to see a section (or do what a lot of people have done and refold the things horizontally).

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1943 Post by sam » Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:18 am

Norman wrote:However, I wish they would have set times for each stop as they do in Europe. Being at Stop 8 when only stops 1 and 17 are timed stops must be a bummer I would think.
Well, I've never caught a tram that's managed to be on schedule..? so does it matter anyway, lol?

(mind you I've only been on the tram about a dozen times outside of the city)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1944 Post by Norman » Sat Apr 12, 2008 6:48 pm

The trams run pretty much on time all the time for me.

But back to the topic, I think on weekends the tram should run every 10 minutes instead of every 15 minutes, the demand even on weekends is very strong.

sam
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1945 Post by sam » Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:39 pm

Norman wrote:But back to the topic, I think on weekends the tram should run every 10 minutes instead of every 15 minutes, the demand even on weekends is very strong.
Also they need some decent peak morning Glenelg > City and evening City > Glenelg services as well on Saturdays! (O-Bahn has similar problems at 'peak' times on Saturdays.

Omicron

#1946 Post by Omicron » Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:34 pm

Norman wrote:
However, I wish they would have set times for each stop as they do in Europe. Being at Stop 8 when only stops 1 and 17 are timed stops must be a bummer I would think.
.....or at least some of them, as was the case with the old timetables. I know what time the bus leaves Marion; I know what time it gets to town, but I'll be damned if I know when it can get to my house, or work, or a friend's house near Anzac Highway.
Norman wrote:The trams run pretty much on time all the time for me.

But back to the topic, I think on weekends the tram should run every 10 minutes instead of every 15 minutes, the demand even on weekends is very strong.
I agree - the trams are very good at running to schedule.

Omicron

#1947 Post by Omicron » Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:51 pm

I was lucky enough to ride out of town today in one of the old trams! Excellent fun - all the creaking, shaking, beeping and clunking.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1948 Post by monotonehell » Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:48 pm

Omicron wrote:I was lucky enough to ride out of town today in one of the old trams! Excellent fun - all the creaking, shaking, beeping and clunking.
Sounds like a ride on a Flexity, but add uncomfortable seating if you can get one and standing room only. ;)

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#1949 Post by UrbanSG » Thu May 08, 2008 9:14 pm

From Adelaidenow.com.au. First renders look decent.
LAUREN NOVAK
May 09, 2008 12:30am

THE first images of the planned $28 million South Rd tram overpass have been released by the State Government.

Four colour artist's impressions - distributed to nearby properties late yesterday - show how the new bridge will change the streetscape of the main thoroughfare.

Trams will run in both directions over the 7m wide, 40m long platform, to be built 7.5m above ground level.

Passengers will use lifts and stairs to reach the sheltered platform, with car parks, indented bus bays and ``people-friendly'' spaces underneath.

Screens and safety barriers will ``prevent objects being thrown from the overpass and overlooking into private property backyards''.

The overpass is expected to be completed by the end of next year. Documents about the images warn the end result ``may well look different from this preliminary concept''.

Transport Minister Patrick Conlon said these concept plans were the result of ``a great deal of consultation''. ``We look forward to working with the community on a final design,'' he said.

The Transport Department will lodge an application with the Development Assessment Commission in the coming weeks. A community information session will be held Saturday, May 24, from 10am to 2pm at Black Forest Primary School, with street meetings the following week.

Feedback must be received by the department by June 6. A final design will be put out for further comment later this year.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#1950 Post by Norman » Thu May 08, 2008 9:20 pm

Not bad! I like it! Bring it on I say!

I do hope the final product will have a bigger height clearance.

I think this should be replicated down at Goodwood.