[COM] Flinders Rail Link

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: [U/C] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#76 Post by Norman » Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:27 pm

marbles wrote:its great that a station will be here, but if youve ever studied at flinders uni, youll know that some of the lecture theatres are still 3 miles up the hill haha, have to uber it up there
There is one or two campus buses that loop the hospital and University buildings, so hopefully this will be expanded when the new station opens.

SBD
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Flinders Rail Link

#77 Post by SBD » Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:52 pm

Eurostar wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:47 am
I hope the Flinders extension is built properly especially the viaduct as the project is built by Gateway South whom is responsible for failures with the Darlington project. The Flinders Link didnt even go through the proper tender process it was handed to Gateway South.
Has a report on what went wrong been made public? Was it a construction problem or an issue with them being given doubtful geotechnical Aussie the start was rushed and the data was only collected in summer?

Eurostar
Legendary Member!

#78 Post by Eurostar » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:00 pm

There is a paper i found on SA Parliament page regarding Flinders Link

PD2/20
High Rise Poster!

#79 Post by PD2/20 » Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:54 pm

SBD wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:52 pm
Eurostar wrote:
I hope the Flinders extension is built properly especially the viaduct as the project is built by Gateway South whom is responsible for failures with the Darlington project. The Flinders Link didnt even go through the proper tender process it was handed to Gateway South.
Has a report on what went wrong been made public? Was it a construction problem or an issue with them being given doubtful geotechnical Aussie the start was rushed and the data was only collected in summer?
The SA Public Works Committee commissioned an inquiry into the wall collapse. https://committees.parliament.sa.gov.au ... Current/54 gives access to all of the committee files. Click on the 'Inquiry' folder in the menu to access the relevant files, which include the Final Report published in November 2019, Hansard transcripts of the hearings and a presentation by Aurecon, who were commissioned by DPTI to carry out a technical investigation.

In December 2019 the Auditor-General tabled a report on various aspects of the Darlington Upgrade Project, https://www.audit.sa.gov.au/LinkClick.a ... nload=true including Section 4 on the revetment wall failure based on the preliminary report (June/July 2019) by Aurecon to DPTI.

The Flinders Link project was assessed by the Public Works Committee in 2017 with a further hearing in 2018. The relevant files can be found on the PWC website as Report 578 in the Completed Referals folder. The issue of the tender process was addressed in the committee hearing.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#80 Post by Norman » Tue Apr 28, 2020 2:43 pm

PD2/20 wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:54 pm
SBD wrote:
Mon Apr 27, 2020 3:52 pm
Eurostar wrote:
The SA Public Works Committee commissioned an inquiry into the wall collapse. https://committees.parliament.sa.gov.au ... Current/54 gives access to all of the committee files. Click on the 'Inquiry' folder in the menu to access the relevant files, which include the Final Report published in November 2019, Hansard transcripts of the hearings and a presentation by Aurecon, who were commissioned by DPTI to carry out a technical investigation.

In December 2019 the Auditor-General tabled a report on various aspects of the Darlington Upgrade Project, https://www.audit.sa.gov.au/LinkClick.a ... nload=true including Section 4 on the revetment wall failure based on the preliminary report (June/July 2019) by Aurecon to DPTI.

The Flinders Link project was assessed by the Public Works Committee in 2017 with a further hearing in 2018. The relevant files can be found on the PWC website as Report 578 in the Completed Referals folder. The issue of the tender process was addressed in the committee hearing.
Thanks for linking the report!

Isn't it funny how the project websites never publish these sorts of reports? They prefer to keep them hidden away on the parliament's website rather than informing the public about the details.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#81 Post by NTRabbit » Mon May 25, 2020 11:25 pm

They've put up the framework for the elevator shafts either side of the road corridor to give ground level connection to the pedestrian/cycle bridge

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#82 Post by SRW » Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 am

DPTI's uploaded a girder install vid:
Keep Adelaide Weird

marbles
Gold-Member ;)

#83 Post by marbles » Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:16 pm

is there a pedestrian walk right over the whole bridge on the southern side of tracks?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#84 Post by Norman » Sun Jun 07, 2020 3:37 pm

marbles wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 2:16 pm
is there a pedestrian walk right over the whole bridge on the southern side of tracks?
Yes

Westside
High Rise Poster!

#85 Post by Westside » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:19 pm

SRW wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 am
And what about the bus interchange!? So it can take dozens of limited stop buses off Goodwood and South Rds!

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#86 Post by Norman » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:38 pm

Westside wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:19 pm
SRW wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:06 am
And what about the bus interchange!? So it can take dozens of limited stop buses off Goodwood and South Rds!
The bus "interchange" is under construction below the bridge on the surface road of South Road. It's more of a transfer point than an interchange.

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#87 Post by Patrick_27 » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:56 pm

Have they allowed for a second track (if need be) to be added on the section of the bridge allocated to the bike path? Based on the steel work I'd have said yes, but it doesn't look wide enough and they you'd lose the track, obviously. If not, I can see this being an expensive oversight, especially if they extend the line.

mattwinter
High Rise Poster!

#88 Post by mattwinter » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:23 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:56 pm
Have they allowed for a second track (if need be) to be added on the section of the bridge allocated to the bike path? Based on the steel work I'd have said yes, but it doesn't look wide enough and they you'd lose the track, obviously. If not, I can see this being an expensive oversight, especially if they extend the line.
I expect the answer is "no they haven't planned for it". I think extending the Tonsley line more than this is a pipe dream anyway. And even if they did extend it's a single track line anyway. And if they decided they needed more capacity you can do a lot with passing loops like on the Belair line so you wouldn't need to duplicate the bridge.

Really I can see why as an infrastructure nerd I might have wanted two tracks, but in reality it would be pretty hard to justify spending extra money on that. Even though I'm a fan of the project, I must admit it's probably somewhat hard to justify as it is. Really it's a gift to Flinders Uni to encourage them to spend lots of money on a new urban development. Doesn't hurt that it's in one of the country's most marginal electorates either. Mind you as a local I'm very much looking forward to seeing it done...

NYG
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#89 Post by NYG » Sat Jun 20, 2020 10:08 am

Install of spans to form the elevated walkway from station to Flinders Medical Centre is underway, occurring over this weekend and next.

NTRabbit
High Rise Poster!

#90 Post by NTRabbit » Sat Jun 20, 2020 1:26 pm

They've also started finalising the bus "interchanges", which are really just extended bus pull ins either side of South Rd opposite the sporting grounds/Laffers triangle that aren't all that close to the new train station.