[COM] A9 Port River Expressway | 5.5km

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

[COM] Re: #COM: Port River Expressway | 5.5km

#196 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:59 pm

So can we have an updated list of who is coming?

I will be there from around noon or earlier.

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#197 Post by Cruise » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:43 pm

I must ask, What did some of you expect this bridge to look like? A Sydney Harbour Bridge or something?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#198 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:53 pm

Cruise wrote:I must ask, What did some of you expect this bridge to look like? A Sydney Harbour Bridge or something?
Exactly. I think it looks a lot better than I expected to be honest.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#199 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:57 pm

Norman wrote:So can we have an updated list of who is coming?

I will be there from around noon or earlier.
Me, probably about 2 pm - empty stone train had been crossing bridge at about 2-20 pm when I've been there recently,
but could cross at any time the bridge is down.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#200 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:42 pm

Cruise wrote:I must ask, What did some of you expect this bridge to look like? A Sydney Harbour Bridge or something?
I think some of you mistook my comment. I said it was a very nice expressway - passing through a hole. The bridge is lovely. The area it stands in looks awfully drab. I was asking if they intend to improve the aesthetics of the surrounding area at all?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#201 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:56 pm

monotonehell wrote:
I think some of you mistook my comment. I said it was a very nice expressway - passing through a hole. The bridge is lovely. The area it stands in looks awfully drab. I was asking if they intend to improve the aesthetics of the surrounding area at all?
http://www.newportquays.com.au/images/s ... lobal2.jpg

http://www.newportquays.com.au/images/s ... _clsup.jpg

They are doing a hell of a lot.
Last edited by Norman on Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#202 Post by monotonehell » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:59 pm

Norman wrote:
monotonehell wrote:
They are doing a hell of a lot.
Ah thanks Stormy Normy. I forgot about those renders. I wonder if they'll actually get around to all the landscaping and trees?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#203 Post by Norman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:05 pm

For a good overview of the project and some great U/C photos, check out this document:
http://203.147.248.196/alt-host/assets/ ... 9Aug05.pdf

jk1237
Donating Member
Donating Member

#204 Post by jk1237 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:32 pm

If its raining, and I cant ride into town, I may drive down there for a look. I have to leave for work at 3pm though

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#205 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:11 pm

Well, I had a less than perfect day today :(

Deciding to not go to the bridges by noon, assuming the Permier's opening would be included in the 3pm community event, I headed to my bus stop for my trusty M44. The trains were useless, I would have to wait 28 minutes for the Outer Harbor train as there was 2 minutes between the arriving Noarlunga train and departing Outer Harbour train. Bring on electrification and higher frequencies, and, most of all, the train/trams.

Anyway, the bus zoomed by too early, leaving me wondering what to do. I decided to run down to the Tonsley Line to get a train to the City, but I missed that by a few metres as well. Exhausted and frustrated, I caught the 297 to town. I discovered that even with this bus, I would be too late for the Outer Harbor train, so I got off at Forestville and ran to Goodwood station. The Belair Train was late, so I again missed my connection by seconds.

So I finally decided to catch the 254X to Port Adelaide, getting me there at 3pm. That trip took almost 2 hours... I wasn't happy.

Then I arrived and found out the Premier had been and gone, making me not a happy chappy. When I was able to cross the bridge, I was on the lookout for Will and Xtra, but couldn't find them. I know it wasn't their fault, I should have been more organised. :x

In the end, I got a few nice pictures and a video of the bridge opening (which I will upload sometime). Then I realised that I forgot to schedule the recordings of the various news services, so I rang up mum and she recorded the Ten News bulletin on the VHS. I'll have to transfer that this weekend hopefully.

So that was my day. Hope everyone else enjoyed theirs :)

Will409
Legendary Member!

#206 Post by Will409 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:37 pm

I had a mixed run as well. I walked to Parafield Gardens railway station where it started to pelt down with rain. I got on the train slightly damp. My train connections worked like clock work and I arrived just before the finish of the main opening ceremony. The bridges then started to close as the main speeches were concluding. Unlike the Birkenhead Bridge, the closing mechanism on these bridges is rather quiet. Everyone started to make their way up the stairs from the dock side to the bridge itself. I bolted up to try and get a good angle for the ribbon cutting by Premier Rann. I got there well ahead of most of the photographers. By this time, there were clear blue skies. Got around 15 shots of the Premier as well as the other dignitaries.

However, before the ribbon could be cut, the wind (which was blowing with quite some force) cut the ribbon and it had to be tied back up again. For a bit of fun, I called out "Where's De Groot when you need him" in reference to the infamous Sydney Harbour bridge opening. The ribbon was eventually cut. As soon as if was, around 200 school children all dressed up and carrying home made flags paraded across the bridge and then tied down their flags to the bridge using cable ties. The public were now having a good look along the bridge (especially jamming up the footpath which is on the southern side of the road bridge).

Some entertainment of sorts came through at 1:30ish when NR 4 and another unidentified NR ran light engine across the rail bridge which saw a large number of people sprint over to get photos. By around this time, the storm clouds were gathering. When the intial sun shower started, I made my way to the Birkenhead tavern. Sadly, it was packed completely and I couldn't find a seat. I decided to make my way towards Port Adelaide itself via the old Birkenhead bridge. As luck would have it, it really started to pelt down with rain (and I mean really pelt down) as I was making my way across. There are two concrete shelters on the bridge, both of which were on the opposite side of the bridge to me :evil: In the end, I ducked for cover under the awning of the Fisherman's Warf market. I then had a brainwave and hid in a bus that was on layover across the carpark.

By this time, I was soaked from head to toe and even my shoes were somewhat water logged. After a short time, the bus driver made me move on. The rain had stopped by now and headed to the Dolphin Pod cafe. Had something to eat as well as an Iced Coffee and I was on my way again. I was starting to dry out and got the 253 bus back to Adelaide with a couple of doppies onboard to Arndale making life unpleasant for everyone.

As for photos, I got around 200 or so in total.
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.

Xaragmata
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#207 Post by Xaragmata » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:38 pm

Norman wrote:Well, I had a less than perfect day today :(
[... sad tale of woe snipped ...]
So that was my day. Hope everyone else enjoyed theirs :)
Well, it went OK for me ... slightly late 136F got me there in time for lunch at Pancakes at the Port, followed by a huddle
out of the downpour. Nearly walked across B/head Bridge, but decided I didn't want to be sprayed with any more mud &
mist from semis (not their fault). Got to the Ocean Steamers Rd side in plenty of time for the walk across, but Premier
& official party had apparently been & gone by that time ... security guard was kept busy stopping ppl from crossing before
3:30, but I waited patiently & crossed behind the crowd, & took in the sights from the bridge ... got a coffee on B/Head
side, just as the empty stone train appeared - wateched the bridges raised for the flotilla of two yachts & the customs
boat to sail through, sheltered under the bridge during a downpour, and had a good look around before crossing back
again. Shared pedestrian / bike path is wide, railing is high enough ... much nicer bridge to walk across than the
bouncy B/Head, which should be better with big stuff diverted off it on Sunday. I didn't see you or Will409, of course.

My main Dynamic IP redirector service is currently not working, but one pic is on Fotothing, with more to come:
http://www.fotothing.com/photos/e40/e40 ... c021f8.jpg

Cruise
Banned
Banned

#208 Post by Cruise » Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:55 pm

Cruise went to the open day through a very complex way... He Drove!!!! (so in otherwords, he got there in no time)

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#209 Post by Norman » Fri Aug 01, 2008 11:08 pm

Will409 wrote: I was starting to dry out and got the 253 bus back to Adelaide with a couple of doppies onboard to Arndale making life unpleasant for everyone.
Will, the 253 doesn't go to the Port :P

Try 254 or 252 ;)

I was on the 252 on the way back home, an interesting ride to say the least. Not to mention the female feral who verbally and racially abused the bus driver on the 254X because he didn't know where the Fishmarkets were.

Will409
Legendary Member!

#210 Post by Will409 » Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:21 am

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Image LINK TO YOUTUBE PROFILE.