[U/C] Westfield Tea Tree Plaza (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
The Scooter Guy
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[U/C] Re: ONH: Tea Tree Plaza Upgrade | $190m

#346 Post by The Scooter Guy » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:24 pm

pushbutton wrote:I first remember TTP from 1989. and both Big W and Woolworths were there then. There was also Myer, target, and where Harris Scarfe now is was an Arrow Superfoods (supermarket). The mall layout was more or less as it is now, but only went up as far as Target upstairs. Tea Tree Plus had not been built. Over at Modbury triangle there was a Bi-Lo supermarket.
Tea Tree Plus was built in late 1994/early '95. Toys "R" Us is still retaining its 1990s signage to date.
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#347 Post by Ben » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:26 am

According to todays Westfield results this development is not planned to start this financial year.

BradJC
Gold-Member ;)

#348 Post by BradJC » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:50 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:
relapse wrote:Hopefully we'll see some progress on this soon. I recon the last TTP upgrade (when K-Mart etc was built) was back in 1991. It's long overdue
1997/98 was when K-Mart & Coles were built. Big W & Woolworths were built back in 1991.
Not sure when BigW & Woolworths were built, but the expansion you're referring to in 1991 is likely the 'Hoyts 6' cinemas. If I remember correctly.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#349 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:22 pm

neoballmon wrote:
pushbutton wrote:I first remember TTP from 1989. and both Big W and Woolworths were there then. There was also Myer, target, and where Harris Scarfe now is was an Arrow Superfoods (supermarket). The mall layout was more or less as it is now, but only went up as far as Target upstairs. Tea Tree Plus had not been built. Over at Modbury triangle there was a Bi-Lo supermarket.
Ah Thanks. I forgot about Target. I know the triangle Foodland was a Bilo, as Ive seen it still has the old layout and signage that the Romeo's tend to keep. But I do also remember going to TTP in about 2008 after Bilos had converted to Coles and the Bilo was still there where Harris Scarfe is now, due to their contract with Westfield, and the conversion was in late 2006. And ive never seen these 'Arrow Supermakets' through my childhood, so they must have been gone for a while.

Is Tea Tree Plus part of the Westfield holdings or do they have a separate owner?
I think Tea Tree Plus was initially under separate ownership, but Westfield took it over several years ago, just haven't got around to connecting it to the main mall yet...

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#350 Post by Brucetiki » Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:25 pm

BradJC wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:
relapse wrote:Hopefully we'll see some progress on this soon. I recon the last TTP upgrade (when K-Mart etc was built) was back in 1991. It's long overdue
1997/98 was when K-Mart & Coles were built. Big W & Woolworths were built back in 1991.
Not sure when BigW & Woolworths were built, but the expansion you're referring to in 1991 is likely the 'Hoyts 6' cinemas. If I remember correctly.
Hoyts went up in 1992, then expanded to 9 cinemas in 1998 when the Coles/Kmart extension took place. My first cinema experience was there when it first opened, seeing Beauty and the Beast.

relapse
Gold-Member ;)

#351 Post by relapse » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:59 am

Brucetiki wrote:
neoballmon wrote:
Ah Thanks. I forgot about Target. I know the triangle Foodland was a Bilo, as Ive seen it still has the old layout and signage that the Romeo's tend to keep. But I do also remember going to TTP in about 2008 after Bilos had converted to Coles and the Bilo was still there where Harris Scarfe is now, due to their contract with Westfield, and the conversion was in late 2006. And ive never seen these 'Arrow Supermakets' through my childhood, so they must have been gone for a while.

Is Tea Tree Plus part of the Westfield holdings or do they have a separate owner?
I think Tea Tree Plus was initially under separate ownership, but Westfield took it over several years ago, just haven't got around to connecting it to the main mall yet...
Yeah it was a seperate owner initially because I still remember the massive fight between Westfield and the TTG about it.

Before TTPlus was built the land was where the council chambers and library were originally located. I am pretty sure that the original TTPlus owners acquired the land where the council now resides and bult the TTG council new chambers in exchange for the land to build TTPlus. They had a cunning plan to open next to Tea Tree Plaza and get a flow on into their centre, but Westfield essentially Berlin Walled it by erecting a massive fence (which was later taken down when Westfield took it over) and refused to allow access to the Tea Tree Plaza carpark.

The Scooter Guy

#352 Post by The Scooter Guy » Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:36 pm

Saw an ad in the Messenger that Gas Works is moving out of Tea Tree Plus! Either to Modbury Triangle or Gepps X as far as I know.
Please Westfield, just don't tell us you're giving up the goat!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#353 Post by duke » Wed May 22, 2013 3:12 pm

The Scooter Guy wrote:Saw an ad in the Messenger that Gas Works is moving out of Tea Tree Plus! Either to Modbury Triangle or Gepps X as far as I know.
I think Wallspan/Kitchen Connection is moving also. It makes sense considering companies overall financial issues at the moment, but it makes me wonder about the future of Tea Tree Plus. It seems like Westfield are not interested in it, or is retail just that bad at the moment?

The Scooter Guy

#354 Post by The Scooter Guy » Wed May 22, 2013 5:09 pm

duke wrote:
The Scooter Guy wrote:Saw an ad in the Messenger that Gas Works is moving out of Tea Tree Plus! Either to Modbury Triangle or Gepps X as far as I know.
I think Wallspan/Kitchen Connection is moving also. It makes sense considering companies overall financial issues at the moment, but it makes me wonder about the future of Tea Tree Plus. It seems like Westfield are not interested in it, or is retail just that bad at the moment?
And it's taking a miracle for Westfield & TTG to get their act together...

Thunderstruck
High Rise Poster!

#355 Post by Thunderstruck » Thu May 23, 2013 2:39 pm

Does anyone remember TTP back in the late 80's and early 90's in the food court when there was a man man creek and bridge? As a child I was fascinated by it all back then but then they got rid of it and was so disappointed. It had small plants and everything. Does anyone have any photos of this?

Looks drab now compared to then.

TS :cool:
"He was the sort of person who stood on mountaintops during thunderstorms in wet copper armour shouting "All the Gods are bastards" - Pratchett

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#356 Post by Brucetiki » Fri May 24, 2013 12:04 am

Thunderstruck wrote:Does anyone remember TTP back in the late 80's and early 90's in the food court when there was a man man creek and bridge? As a child I was fascinated by it all back then but then they got rid of it and was so disappointed. It had small plants and everything. Does anyone have any photos of this?

Looks drab now compared to then.

TS :cool:
I remember that. Used to love it as a kid, and made trips to Tea Tree Plaza that extra bit special.

The current food court structure, while more practical, has lost that charm.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#357 Post by Phantom » Fri May 24, 2013 2:02 am

God, I wish I had seen that! I love those old nostalgic moments you get when you remember things like that! Really though, if anyone has pictures of that, it would be awesome if you could upload them!

For some reason, as someone born in 1990 and has no earlier memories of there than about 1997, I'm inagining it starting around where the escalators are, near Myer, running through where some of those middle-of-the-foodcourt stalls are, and coming to an end by the shop between KFC and that coffee shop. I think it used to be called The Carvery or something? I dunno. I just figured I'd tell you how I'd pictured it and then someone could point out how completely incorrect I am. :D
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#358 Post by Brucetiki » Fri May 24, 2013 1:20 pm

Phantom wrote:God, I wish I had seen that! I love those old nostalgic moments you get when you remember things like that! Really though, if anyone has pictures of that, it would be awesome if you could upload them!

For some reason, as someone born in 1990 and has no earlier memories of there than about 1997, I'm inagining it starting around where the escalators are, near Myer, running through where some of those middle-of-the-foodcourt stalls are, and coming to an end by the shop between KFC and that coffee shop. I think it used to be called The Carvery or something? I dunno. I just figured I'd tell you how I'd pictured it and then someone could point out how completely incorrect I am. :D
Not quite. Where the main lot of seats are (between KFC and the specialty shops), up to the escalarors, used to be split level. The creek went around the upper deck of seating, pretty much in a loop from the escalators to KFC to Muffin Break and down the specialty shops.

Memory is a bit hazy (it was about 20 years ago), so happy to bf corrected.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#359 Post by monotonehell » Fri May 24, 2013 1:31 pm

Brucetiki wrote:Not quite. Where the main lot of seats are (between KFC and the specialty shops), up to the escalarors, used to be split level. The creek went around the upper deck of seating, pretty much in a loop from the escalators to KFC to Muffin Break and down the specialty shops.
Memory is a bit hazy (it was about 20 years ago), so happy to bf corrected.
Other than the whole place was laid out differently, this is my recollection of the creek. I seem to remember they took it out as Westfield's current business practices require everything to be as low maintenance as possible.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#360 Post by pushbutton » Sat May 25, 2013 10:42 am

It was less practical but more interesting, that's for sure.

The best food court I've seen in person (although there are much better ones in the world) is at the Trafford Centre, Manchester. It is a close replica of the deck of an ocean liner (I think loosely based on the Titanic). The ground level of the food court is split level and has a small swimming pool in front of a stage (the pool isn't actually used for swimming though it's just to make it look authentic). The stage is well used though and has a large video screen behind it. Regular free entertanment includes discos, ballroom dancing (where you can take part, have lessons, or just watch), acts from Britains Got Talent and a wide range of other stage shows you can watch for free while having lunch.

Nestled amongst the food outlets is a large childrens activity centre where staff will mind children while parents shop.

At one end of the food court is a large entertainment venue, a bit like a better version of intencity or tunzafun. This features the usual arcade games plus ten pin bowling, snooker tables, dodgems and a bar. Upstairs from that is a cinema complex with indoor themed adventure golf and laser skirmish. The domed ceiling above this area is painted with complex murals based on those of Michelangelo.

The ceiling over the main food court area is made to look like the sky and changes each hour from day to night and back again.

Behind that is a marble staircase lined with marble statues, with a huge chandelier above it. The chandalier is so big it has someone working inside it full time to maintain it and change bulbs! That area is surrounded by high-end a-la-carte restaurants.

Upstairs in the main part of the food court are 4 distinctly themed "streets" each of which replicates a traditional street from a certain country, and each of these streets is lined with restaurants, cafes, and pubs from the country represented. These are not pokey little rooms, but spacious relaxed family dining venues, some of which are on two levels and all of which have gone to great lengths to look and feel very authentic.

Like I said that's the best one I have seen in person, but there are much, much, much better one I've seen videos of. Look on youtube!