News & Discussion: CBD Retail

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
arki
High Rise Poster!

Re: News & Discussion: CBD Retail

#916 Post by arki » Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:04 am

Paspaley are to open their first Adelaide store in Rundle Place this year.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#917 Post by Ben » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:59 am

soo... CBD retail...

Allkai
High Rise Poster!

#918 Post by Allkai » Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Ben wrote:soo... CBD retail...
There's an interesting coffee shop opening at 50 Grenfell St on Wednesday....

:lol:

Pikey
VIP Member
VIP Member

#919 Post by Pikey » Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:45 pm

Allkai wrote:
Ben wrote:soo... CBD retail...
There's an interesting coffee shop opening at 50 Grenfell St on Wednesday....

:lol:
"Please say Please" is the name. Looks pretty cool, and yes ITS IN THE CBD!! :lol:
Walking on over....

| Sensational-Adelaide.com Moderator |

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#920 Post by monotonehell » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:12 pm

Pikey wrote:"Please say Please" is the name. Looks pretty cool, and yes ITS IN THE CBD!! :lol:
Do they make you say "please" and "thank you" because that would be awesome.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#921 Post by Mants » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:45 am

a coffee shop isn't technically retail :wink:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#922 Post by monotonehell » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:43 am

Mants wrote:a coffee shop isn't technically retail :wink:
What they only sell coffee in 20 litre lots?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#923 Post by pushbutton » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:45 pm

Why would we need to be so technical? Surely that would only achieve unnecessary and frankly childish arguments on this forum wouldn't it?

Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#924 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:55 pm

A bar? Will my dreams of being able to drink a beer while watching a movie at the cinemas come true?[/quote]

Have you heard of the Palace Nova on Rundle St? You can take beer and wine into any of their cinemas, and they have the old Imax screen to show the latest hollywood crap on :wink:[/quote]

Oh yeah, I keep forgetting they have a bar. :oops:[/quote]

From my understanding; they will be Gold Class Cinema's operated by Greater Union; which will be the Gold Class component for the new Greater Union cinemas that are APPARENTLY to be built on-top of the Adelaide Railway Station (refer to Riverside Precinct proposal on-line, received the word that it was GU from a staff member of their Marion cinemas).

I'm a little confused by the whole concept... From what I was aware the cinema's were housed in the part of Regent that Globalize now operate from; that space was divided into two cinemas and the old entrance from the arcade was just closed up in the whole upgrade of the arcade (that entrance has now been converted to a potential shop-front). I don't know where these new cinema's are being housed; I'd be interested to see the arcade's floor-plan. The arcade was constructed around the original Regent theatre.

In my opinion; I think the space Globalize currently operate should be re-built to it's original format of a theatre, with a foyer (the area with the big frontage windows), the space could be a new, more centralized home for the Adelaide Symphony Orchestra (house perhaps 1,500 people); they could perform their smaller annual shows there, and during the Fringe, Adelaide, Cabaret festivals it could serve as a perfect venue for comedy acts, cabaret and small stage productions.

In terms of a city cinema, I've eyed off three locations; the new Harris Scarfe building (too late now...), the Renaissance building a.k.a. Toys R Us building (too late now...), and lastly... The upper floors of the Myer Centre, I've done a bit of lurking of the overall site, having worked in the cinema industry for a few years I know what it expected of a structure to house a cinema, and I believe this site with minor re-configurations could prove quite nicely for a 5 screen complex; Brisbane's Myer Centre made a similar move when their amusement section closed also. Not to promote but I run a Facebook page 'Build a Cinema Complex in the Adelaide Myer Centre', I've listed further reason behind this...

Sorry to run off from the topic of CBD retail! :D

Patrick_27

#925 Post by Patrick_27 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:59 pm

On the topic of CBD retail; two stores I note that aren't operating in the CBD are Big W and Officeworks. I'd be interested to see how long it takes for Big W to hit the CBD and complete with Kmart.

The only way I could see either store moving into the CBD however is if they build a new arcade within the mall.. OR if one took the current Harris Scarfe location.

Mants
Legendary Member!

#926 Post by Mants » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:38 am

pushbutton wrote:
Why would we need to be so technical? Surely that would only achieve unnecessary and frankly childish arguments on this forum wouldn't it?
i thought that the winking emoticon said it all...

in regards to officeworks having no CBD presence...i have always thought this to be unusual, especially considering that the majority of offices are in this area.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#927 Post by crawf » Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:51 am

I can see Officeworks moving into the space currently occupied by Harris Scarfe. Perfect size and location

Also Patrick, regarding your post in the Rundle Place thread...
One area I did find could be perfect for a new commercial opportunity is the Southern Cross Arcade and surrounding buildings, on the South-Western end of the mall a few shop-fronts remain empty; one of which is Ice? These few buildings along with the Southern Cross arcade could be demolished and re-built into something much more welcoming and exciting.
There was mention of a $70 million+ redevelopment of the current Southern Cross Arcade back in 2010 or 2011. Nothing has been mentioned since
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/942/2010
Lodgement Date: 29/11/2010
Description: Internal and external alterations to existing arcade.

AtD
VIP Member
VIP Member

#928 Post by AtD » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:37 am

I always thought the Renaissance Arcade (between the Mall, North Tce, Putney St and David Jones) would be perfect for a cinema focused redevelopment.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#929 Post by Ben » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:30 am

Adelaide's first Choclateria San Churro opened on Monday on the corner of Rundle and East Terrace. I went to try it last night after a fringe show at 10:30 and there was a half hour wait. Looks like it will be a success which is great as past options on that corner have failed.

Patrick_27

#930 Post by Patrick_27 » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:00 pm

crawf wrote:I can see Officeworks moving into the space currently occupied by Harris Scarfe. Perfect size and location

Also Patrick, regarding your post in the Rundle Place thread...
One area I did find could be perfect for a new commercial opportunity is the Southern Cross Arcade and surrounding buildings, on the South-Western end of the mall a few shop-fronts remain empty; one of which is Ice? These few buildings along with the Southern Cross arcade could be demolished and re-built into something much more welcoming and exciting.
There was mention of a $70 million+ redevelopment of the current Southern Cross Arcade back in 2010 or 2011. Nothing has been mentioned since
Type: Development Application Received
Application Number: DA/942/2010
Lodgement Date: 29/11/2010
Description: Internal and external alterations to existing arcade.
Oooh, thank you for that! I'm going to do some research. :D