[COM] Highway Inn (Stage 2) | 4 Storeys | Mixed Use

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: PRO: [Plympton] Highway Inn | 8lvls | 34m | Hotel

#106 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:11 pm

UrbanSG wrote:I agree Eurostar it's a great location between the CBD and Glenelg. The development doesn't look tacky to me, especially considering it is located in a standard mid-suburban location, without water frontage etc. It needs to be affordable.

I agree even more about the need for a tram overpass over Marion Road, especially if this development proceeds. This area is a nightmare in peak hour, particularly the evening peak hour. The area, including Anzac Highway turns into gridlock. It's not just bad for cars, it's also bad for bike riders, buses, pedestrians. It's almost all because of the tram crossing being too close to two major intersections Anzac Highway/Marion Road and Cross Road/ Marion Road. The boom gates are up and down every few minutes in peak hour and the traffic lights are not well coordinated either.

Putting an overpass here would probably reduce the amount of traffic on South Road slightly too as many people currently avoid Marion Road as a north south route because of this area of continual gridlock and I'm sure some of these people use South Road instead.
No more overpasses on the Glenelg line please! I think an underpass would be much better for the Marion & Cross road intersections and have the Marion Road tram stop underground in between the tworoads, therefore opening up that section of the corridor merged with the Rawsons building site for medium/high density development potential.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

UrbanSG
VIP Member
VIP Member

#107 Post by UrbanSG » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 pm

I would have thought an overpass would be far more economical than an underpass at this location. The South Road tram overpass would be a good model to follow.

We are too obsessed with underpasses. If overpasses mean we can get transport improvements sooner because they are more affordable then I'm for them so long as they aren't completely out of character with the surrounding neighbourhood.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#108 Post by crawf » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:58 pm

UrbanSG wrote:I would have thought an overpass would be far more economical than an underpass at this location. The South Road tram overpass would be a good model to follow.

We are too obsessed with underpasses. If overpasses mean we can get transport improvements sooner because they are more affordable then I'm for them so long as they aren't completely out of character with the surrounding neighbourhood.
+1

Aidan

#109 Post by Aidan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:05 pm

[Shuz] wrote:
UrbanSG wrote:I agree Eurostar it's a great location between the CBD and Glenelg. The development doesn't look tacky to me, especially considering it is located in a standard mid-suburban location, without water frontage etc. It needs to be affordable.

I agree even more about the need for a tram overpass over Marion Road, especially if this development proceeds. This area is a nightmare in peak hour, particularly the evening peak hour. The area, including Anzac Highway turns into gridlock. It's not just bad for cars, it's also bad for bike riders, buses, pedestrians. It's almost all because of the tram crossing being too close to two major intersections Anzac Highway/Marion Road and Cross Road/ Marion Road. The boom gates are up and down every few minutes in peak hour and the traffic lights are not well coordinated either.

Putting an overpass here would probably reduce the amount of traffic on South Road slightly too as many people currently avoid Marion Road as a north south route because of this area of continual gridlock and I'm sure some of these people use South Road instead.
No more overpasses on the Glenelg line please! I think an underpass would be much better for the Marion & Cross road intersections and have the Marion Road tram stop underground in between the tworoads, therefore opening up that section of the corridor merged with the Rawsons building site for medium/high density development potential.
As that section of Cross Road is not part of a bus route, yet is only a very short walk from the tram stop, I'm puzzled as to what you think moving the stop away from Marion Road would achieve? And is there any objective reason why you think an overpass is unsuitable?

Underpasses would be better at some locations (such as South Terrace and Greenhill Road) but I don't see what's wrong with an overpass at Marion Road.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

rhino

#110 Post by rhino » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:12 pm

A tram underpass would not be anywhere near as expensive as a road underpass, due to there being no need for slip lanes, therefore no need for land aquisition. If the Rawsons site could become part of the Plympton TOD, and extend over the existing tram line (which would ideally stay in an underpass until it is beyond Cross Road), it just might be worth looking into. Would one long (cut and cover) tunnel come at a very much greater cost than 2 overpasses?
cheers,
Rhino

[Shuz]

#111 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:10 pm

Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Squidz
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#112 Post by Squidz » Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:41 pm

Nice picture Shuz, two problems:
1. the highway is actually in the next block north (you've put your buildings over rawson electrical)
2. actually, there is no two, i love the design of the tram line, but mostly because my house directly above where you've placed the development and i like my sunshine too much to be happy with an overpass :)

Goya's Line
High Rise Poster!

#113 Post by Goya's Line » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:20 am

Squidz wrote:Nice picture Shuz, two problems:
1. the highway is actually in the next block north (you've put your buildings over rawson electrical)
2. actually, there is no two, i love the design of the tram line, but mostly because my house directly above where you've placed the development and i like my sunshine too much to be happy with an overpass :)
[Shuz] wrote: I think an underpass would be much better for the Marion & Cross road intersections and have the Marion Road tram stop underground in between the two roads, therefore opening up that section of the corridor merged with the Rawsons building site for medium/high density development potential.
Good thing you were so complimentary of the design. I think everyone on SA has had their :oops: moment.

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#114 Post by Ben » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:22 pm

Plans for $40m development on corner of Anzac Highway and Marion Rd ready for public consultation
by:
Heather Kennett
Guardian Messenger
June 04, 2013

PLANS for a $40?m six-storey residential and commercial development on the corner of Marion Rd and Anzac Highway are now open for public comment.

Developer Martin Palmer said the Plympton project included a supermarket, shops and commercial space. No changes were proposed for the Highway Hotel at this stage, he added. 108 residential units were planned for the space, including 40 "affordable'' units, 26 serviced apartments and 42 one and two-bedroom apartments, providing accommodation for up to 250 people.

"We want to create a commercial hub,'' Mr Palmer said. ``We're hoping a lot of specialty shops will come on-board, to include food, coffee and lifestyle operators.''

Around 450 on-site carparks were also planned. "Public consultation represents the final stage of the approval process so hopefully we can obtain approval and get on with it," Mr Palmer said.

Demolition of vacant buildings near Elizabeth St was expected to begin in June, with the development's first stage scheduled to be finished by 2016. The plans can be viewed at West Torrens Council offices at Hilton and Adelaide, and p, 165 Sir Donald Bradman Drive, Hilton, or at 136 North Tce, Adelaide.ublic submissions can be lodged until Wednesday June 19 at 5pm.

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#115 Post by Will » Thu Jul 18, 2013 8:37 pm

Fencing, has been erected around the old buildings on the site. Demolition looks like it is about to begin.

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#116 Post by Norman » Wed Jul 31, 2013 12:43 pm

Demolition has been completed

Xaragmata

#117 Post by Xaragmata » Thu Aug 01, 2013 1:53 am

Pics from Monday:

Will
VIP Member
VIP Member

#118 Post by Will » Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:17 pm

ChillyPhilly

#119 Post by ChillyPhilly » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:57 pm

I used to know the guy who owned and ran that antiques shop. Fun Fact: much of his stuff came from Vinnies.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Nathan

#120 Post by Nathan » Tue Feb 11, 2014 11:04 am

Tick of approval for $40m project on corner of Anzac Highway and Marion Rd
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/messenger ... 6822776618

WORK on a $40 million housing and commercial development near one of Adelaide?s busiest intersections will start within months, almost seven years after it was first proposed.

The project at the corner of Anzac Highway and Marion Rd, North Plympton, includes residential housing, a ­supermarket, specialty shops, office space, serviced apartments and 448 car parks, to be completed in stages.

It will incorporate the existing The Highway hotel.

Palmer Group director Martin Palmer said the project was approved by the state’s peak planning body in December.

Mr Palmer said work at the 20,000sq m site was likely to start before June and take up to three years to complete.

“We’re working hard to try and break ground in June,” Mr Palmer said.

“We’ve got to do new detailed drawings and then put it out to tender and after that we’ll get started.”

The project was granted major project status by the State Government in 2007.

MORE: New look at development planned for corner of Anzac Highway and Marion Rd

Stage one of the project would include two five-storey apartment towers and a two-storey commercial hub, Mr Palmer said.

He said the project had to overcome resistance from West Torrens Council over the impact of extra traffic on local and arterial roads and economic uncertainty caused by the global financial crisis.

Do you think the development will generate extra traffic? Comment below.

West Torrens Mayor John Trainer said extra traffic from residents and shoppers remained an issue for the council.

“We still have concerns about how they will manage the traffic there, as it is smack bang in the middle of three busy intersections and two tram crossings,” Mr Trainer said.

“Traffic management will be absolutely critical and we hope the State Government, as the roads are under their responsibility, will manage the traffic issues that might ensue.”

The Palmer Group bought The Highway in 2004 and spent $3 million upgrading the hotel.

Over the following three years, the group bought surrounding properties including four houses, flats and shops, so it would have enough land for the proposed development.

The vacant flats and shops were demolished last year.