News & Discussion: Adelaide Metro Trains

Threads relating to transport, water, etc. within the CBD and Metropolitan area.
monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

Re: U/C: Electrification & Upgrade of the Adelaide Rail Netw

#2401 Post by monotonehell » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:31 pm

AG wrote:
muzzamo wrote:I was speaking to a train driver mate of mine who told me they have actually tested with twelve (!) cars.
Nice foresight, but I don't think there'll ever be a need to run them as twelve car trains.
What if a six car set breaks down and has to be shunted by another six car set? ;)
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

ChillyPhilly
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2402 Post by ChillyPhilly » Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:51 pm

For those wanting to test a 4000-class like me: 4pm weekday service departing Adelaide should be electric.
Our state, our city, our future.

All views expressed on this forum are my own.

Milkomeda
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2403 Post by Milkomeda » Sat Mar 01, 2014 4:53 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:For those wanting to test a 4000-class like me: 4pm weekday service departing Adelaide should be electric.
No just use this to know when the next electric train is going to arrive in Adelaide or at your station.

http://transittimesapp.com/electric

HAIL THE GPS!!!

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#2404 Post by fabricator » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:25 pm

jk1237 wrote: Theres a huge chunk of barren land just near Edwardstown station that is now empty (used to be factories), you just hope that its turned into med density residential, not more industrial, and also I wonder when they will turn the old Port Stanvac oil refinery land (just west of Lonsdale station) into housing.
The land at Edwardstown used to be the old Hills factory, most of it anyway. The EPA found there are industrial solvents in the water table in that area, but oddly not under the ex factory land itself. I think the whole thing has been put in the too hard basket for now.

The land/station at Islington is cleaned up and ready for development, nothing happening there at the moment. Seems a bit of a slump for former industrial land suitable for housing.
AdelaideNow: Now with 300% more Liberal Party hacks, at no extra cost.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2405 Post by Goodsy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:40 pm

Is there a possibility of sending passenger trains up the train line that runs through Virginia and Two Wells?

Aidan

#2406 Post by Aidan » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:41 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:Is there a possibility of sending passenger trains up the train line that runs through Virginia and Two Wells?
Not any time soon, as it's single track, there's lots of freight trains and the track is a different gauge from the Adelaide suburban train system.
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

neoballmon
Legendary Member!

#2407 Post by neoballmon » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:43 pm

Not our current passenger trains, as the track that goes up that way is of a different gauge (size), and our trains simply won't fit on them.

But if the government did purchase a rail-car just for this line, I think it would be easily possible. The Salisbury Station looks (from Google Maps at least) like the platform is suitable as well for that line, so passengers could just get off their Gawler line train, and transfer onto the 'Virginia' line from here.

The whole track appears to have no passing lengths of track between Salisbury and Virginia though, so unless this is put in place, only ONE train can use the line, going back and forth between Salisbury and Virginia (or where-ever it may terminate), so services would probably only be every 60 minutes (assuming about 25 minutes from start to finish).

This passenger train would also be obstructing the course of the Ghan and other interstate trains that use this line though, so I think a couple of passing lengths would definitely be put in.

But I can't see this happening anytime soon.
Looking forward to a free-flowing Adelaide!

ChillyPhilly

#2408 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 12:57 am

If that stupid Buckland Park development isn't somehow cancelled, then the least any government can do is investigate creating a rail link between there and Salisbury. It's an idea I've had since the development was first publicly mooted.

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#2409 Post by fabricator » Tue Mar 04, 2014 2:40 pm

neoballmon wrote:Not our current passenger trains, as the track that goes up that way is of a different gauge (size), and our trains simply won't fit on them.

But if the government did purchase a rail-car just for this line, I think it would be easily possible. The Salisbury Station looks (from Google Maps at least) like the platform is suitable as well for that line, so passengers could just get off their Gawler line train, and transfer onto the 'Virginia' line from here.
A long term plan would be to build the Freight Railway portion of the Northern Connector (some idiot separated the rail part at one stage), while converting the Adelaide Metro railway to Standard Gauge. It's then simply a case of connecting the now redundant Dry Creek to Angle Vale part of the freight line into the existing AM network. Added bonus of having an extra track for express trains.

Goodsy
Legendary Member!

#2410 Post by Goodsy » Tue Mar 04, 2014 7:27 pm

ChillyPhilly wrote:If that stupid Buckland Park development isn't somehow cancelled, then the least any government can do is investigate creating a rail link between there and Salisbury. It's an idea I've had since the development was first publicly mooted.
You mean Riverlea? I'm pretty sure it got cancelled, but Two Wells is going to be expanded now.

ChillyPhilly

#2411 Post by ChillyPhilly » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:22 pm

GoodSmackUp wrote:
ChillyPhilly wrote:If that stupid Buckland Park development isn't somehow cancelled, then the least any government can do is investigate creating a rail link between there and Salisbury. It's an idea I've had since the development was first publicly mooted.
You mean Riverlea? I'm pretty sure it got cancelled, but Two Wells is going to be expanded now.
Buckland Park is sadly still alive. http://www.riverleacommunity.com.au/

Both awful ideas. How is it even permitted?

ALSO: A friend has informed me that 'people' have complained about Bombardier (not the trains, but the company). Possibly something to do with the delivery or maintenance of trains.

Brazer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2412 Post by Brazer » Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:43 pm

Sorry was supposed to come out like this.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (1.89 MiB) Viewed 5941 times

Aidan

#2413 Post by Aidan » Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:32 am

Sorry if it's a silly question, but why the extra zero on the distance to the tram stop?
Just build it wrote:Bye Union Hall. I'll see you in another life, when we are both cats.

Brazer
Sen-Rookie-Sational

#2414 Post by Brazer » Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:54 am

It's indicative purposes

fabricator
Legendary Member!

#2415 Post by fabricator » Mon Mar 10, 2014 7:51 pm

If anyone's interested, I got news on the Gawler line electrification, and another station rebuild.
This is from the horses mouth, eg the local politician himself.

The $152m for the Gawler line does cover all the vital equipment, extending the line to Gawler is simply a matter of extending the wires.
And getting rid of a certain low bridge in Gawler proper.

Also planned is a relocation/rebuild of the Tambelin Railway station, to serve the directly adjacent Orleana Waters.
New carpark, bus interchange, platforms, and new road with level crossing (I presume underpass) to keep all the traffic off the local roads.
To be located few hundred meters south of the existing platform.