Beer Garden

Anything goes here.. :) Now with Beer Garden for our smoking patrons.
rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

Re: Beer Garden

#2011 Post by rev » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:30 am

Matt wrote:I ate a Halal certified Subway yesterday, and I could not possibly give less of a shit. I'm certainly not wracked with guilt that the proceeds of my 6 inch steak and cheese are somehow being funnelled to ISIS.
You want to keep ignoring the truth that's your problem.
No need to ridicule others because they choose to not remain ignorant.
If companies want to pay a modest fee to ensure that a massive chunk of the population isn't excluded from enjoying their products, good for them. No one's forcing them to.
It makes business sense - as Fleurieu Milk discovered with their (doomed) Emirates contract.
If companies want to achieve haha certification to export to the middle east, I agree good on them That's the appropriate place to sell such products. Australian mainstream supermarkets are not.
Muslims do not represent a massive chunk of Australia's population. Non muslims are however the "massive" majority.

There's just over 400,000 muslims in Australia. Out of 1.2 billion globally. But we are a real supposed to accept increasing amounts of halal products and pay the halal tax?

There's 700,000 people of Greek descent in Australia. That's almost double the muslim population.
How would you feel if Greek Orthodox religious practices, customs and traditions were stealthily implemented without you knowing?

Why is it that 700,000 Greek Australians can keep the traditions customs are land religious practices of the homeland to them selves without trying to impose them on the rest of Australia, but muslims who are are land smaller minority group in Australia feel they have the right to If moose their religion on the test of Australia?
If people want to visit Halal Choices and decide to boycott half of Coles because they think eating a Twix is funding terrorism, good for them too.
You obviously have comprehension problems and a vast complex.
As for rev's rants, I genuinely don't know what you're trying to achieve?
If you think sharing a few YouTube videos of alarmist garbage from A Current Affair or Sunrise is going to recruit people to your cause, I fear you're barking up the wrong tree.
What gives you the impression I care what you think or that I'm trying to recruit you, or anyone else to some cause?

Remember, I'm not the one who started this argument. I posted a comment and got jumped for it.

Maybe the tone of those videos and other commentators around the western world is alarmist because there's reason to be alarmed?
I doubt the patronising footnotes to your replies are doing you any favours either.
Reducing people to "lefties" and Greens/Labor apologists because they don't share your fears/opinions just reeks of arrogance.
I'll call a spade a spade. Don't like it, we'll you can always rant and rave like you've just done.

Australia is a democracy not a tyrannical regime.
Don't like what I'm saying? Don't read it, put me on your ignore list.

Unlike you I believe in freedom. ..of speech and expression, of choice. Halal being stealthily introduced is not freedom of choice. It's an islamic tax being imposed on non muslims.

It's funny how some of you are quick to jump up and down shouting and bitching about some whacky preachers(a tiny Insignificant minority..unlike the 25%-300 million radical muslims) in the city that other Christians don't take seriously and ignore and whom have no real impact on anything much less our way of life, but are perfectly fine with an Islamic tax being imposed on society. Foolish and ignorant.

An openly homesexual member has even spoken out on this forum agaisnt sharia.
But of course ignore that because how else would you go about attacking me.

It's amazing how instead of discussing the content of those videos like teachers being forced to wear head scarves or muslim leaders in Australia wanting sharia law, you'd rather attack me.
Shame Matt, SHAME! Shame you're so unAustralian.

As for you dsrigs, what does that have to do with anything I've posted?
The issue isn't what constitutes a halal product.
I'm pretty sure you are intelligent and mature enough to know that.

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#2012 Post by dsriggs » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:03 am

rev wrote:As for you dsrigs, what does that have to do with anything I've posted?
So when you said these:
rev wrote:Halal Is not ordinary everyday food.
rev wrote:Muslims represent a small minority here. Why should their RELIGIOUS DIETERY needs be forced upon every other Australian?
...you were lying about it being about what constitutes a halal product?

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#2013 Post by dsriggs » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:10 am

Another question, btw. The Australian Food & Grocery Council defines halal as this:
For a product to be Halal, it must be as a whole, and in part:

*free from any substance taken or extracted from a Haram animal or ingredient (e.g. pigs, dogs, carnivorous animals, animals not slaughtered in compliance with Islamic rites);
*made, processed, manufactured and/or stored by using utensils, equipment and/or machinery that has been cleaned according to Islamic law (e.g. not cleaned with alcohol); and
*free from contact with, or being close to, a Haram substance during preparation, manufacture, processing and storage (e.g. blood, alcohol, poisonous and intoxicating plants and insects such as worms and cockroaches).

Many foods and drinks, particularly those that do not contain meat or alcohol, are inherently compliant with Halal criteria. Official certification, which may be granted by accredited religious authorities in Australia, is however required before products are able to be labeled as such.
http://www.afgc.org.au/about-afgc/our-p ... ification/

Why would a company that makes bread or yoghurt or chocolate or breakfast cereal or cheese or ice cream or anything else you posted on the previous page have to
rev wrote:stealthily implement
anything at all to meet these terms?

Norman
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2014 Post by Norman » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:13 am

http://www.halal-australia.com.au/clari ... out-halal/
The service fees paid to Halal Australia for halal certification and accreditation are used to maintain the normal costs of running a registered business in Australia. These include overhead costs such as utilities, rent, inventory and supplies, and employee salaries, as well as income taxes paid to the Australian government. Inspection fees also include auditing services, which are undertaken to maintain quality control of the premises and products and which cover standard expenses such as service, transportation and travel time.
All legitimate expensive. If anything you're doing to fund ISIS, it's using gas or putting petrol into your car, not by eating a few halal products.

rev
SA MVP (Most Valued Poster 4000+)

#2015 Post by rev » Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:48 am

dsriggs wrote:
rev wrote:As for you dsrigs, what does that have to do with anything I've posted?
So when you said these:
rev wrote:Muslims represent a small minority here. Why should their RELIGIOUS DIETERY needs be forced upon every other Australian?
I didn't call anyone stupid but you take the cake.

Let me repeat and hopefully you clean the sand out of your ears this time.

I'm not arguing about how they make their food halal.
That's what you asked if I know. That's not the issue.
The issue is that it's a RELIGIOUS TAX. Do you comprehend that?
The issue is that this religious tax, for Islamic dietary requirements, is being imposed on everyday non muslim Australians.

It's not hard to understand stop being childish and either acknowledge it or argue against it.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#2016 Post by pushbutton » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:06 am

I'm open minded enough to consider these things on their merits and if I see any reason why they might potentially impact me I'll do my own research and come to a decision on whether or not to buy certain products.

However I stand by what I said earlier. Making personal insults against someone online doesn't exactly help your credibility.

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#2017 Post by monotonehell » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:13 pm

rev wrote:...Let me repeat and hopefully you clean the sand out of your ears this time.

The issue is that this religious tax, for Islamic dietary requirements, is being imposed on everyday non muslim Australians.

It's not hard to understand stop being childish and either acknowledge it or argue against it.
So all the blustering about ISIS and funding terrorists in your previous posts was what?
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

Nathan
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#2018 Post by Nathan » Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:55 pm

Soooo… should everyday non Seventh Day Adventist Australians stop buying breakfast cereal? After all, they created it for their religious dietary requirements.

Matt
Legendary Member!

#2019 Post by Matt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:45 pm

So, to summarise - anyone who doesn't share rev's point of view is a stupid, childish, ignorant, foolish, jihad-funding, UNAUSTRALIAN, Labor/Green indoctrinated leftie bastard, with comprehension problems, a complex, sand filled ears and a head buried in the sand.

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#2020 Post by SRW » Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:44 pm

rev wrote:
dsriggs wrote:
So when you said these:
I didn't call anyone stupid but you take the cake.

Let me repeat and hopefully you clean the sand out of your ears this time.

I don't see how Halal is being imposed or forced upon "everyday" non-Muslim Australians?

Many products are inherently compliant with Halal criteria. Some companies chose to voluntarily pay for accreditation to label them as such, as others do with, say, organic produce. Some companies do not. Australians can chose to either buy or not buy the certified products.

In any of this, I don't see how our "way of life" has changed.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#2021 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jan 01, 2015 9:26 am

Wishing the Sensational Adelaide community a Happy New Year! :banana:

2015 looks to have a lot in store for Adelaide.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

The Scooter Guy

#2022 Post by The Scooter Guy » Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:39 am

[Shuz] wrote:Wishing the Sensational Adelaide community a Happy New Year! :banana:

2015 looks to have a lot in store for Adelaide.
Thanks a lot! Can't wait to kick start my year by riding the new Scania double-decker to the Adelaide Hills & eating at 2KW! :applause:

Again, thank you Aunty! (slang for the ABC!) You've done good!
And for the last time Abbott, STOP THE FISCAL CUTS PLEASE!!
For starters, my avatar is the well-known Adelaide Aquatic Centre insignia from 1989.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWk8YPx2zHziHgvyPy_9fxQ
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ryanthescooterguy/
http://ryansbedroom.tumblr.com/

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#2023 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:32 am

I dare say my ears would be filled with sand if I buried my head in it.

pushbutton
Legendary Member!

#2024 Post by pushbutton » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:35 am

Abbott is doing a lot of good. He's stopped the boats and he's working very hard to repair the badly damaged economy.

Of course that is going to involve a combination of increasing taxes and cutting costs.

[Shuz]

#2025 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:20 am

Abbott might have stopped the boats... I think. We don't know because the media isn't allowed to report on that anymore, nor will the Abbott Government disclose information about asylum seekers... sorry, I mean, "illegal maritime arrivals".

How can anyone possibly say the economy has gotten better under an Abbott Government? It's actually gotten worse... much worse!

Unemployment is at the highest level in 12 years. Even under six years of Labor Government, unemployment was lower. Who'd have thought? Abbott and Howard have so much to be proud of...

There's talk that interest rates may need to drop again just to kickstart the economy, when only 6-12 months ago the economy was supposedly looking rosy enough that some economists were actually predicting rate hikes to contain inflation. GDP growth now is what? 1.5%? Compared to 2-2.5% only a year ago.

The national debt is now at some $400b and this year's budget deficit is about $40b... up $10b from only 6 months ago. So much for "reducing the debt"... him and Hockey sure are giving Rudd and Swan a run for their money! Of which over half of the deficit this year is solely the Liberal Government's fault and not the fault of the previous Labor Government. Had they retained the carbon tax, which was earning us about $7.5b a year and not given the Reserve Bank $8b - those two factors alone could have reduced this year's deficit by roughly $15b.

Disclaimer: I have voted Labor and/or the Greens at each election (State or Federal), but I do not identify as a Labor or Greens voter. I assess each party's policies on its merits at the time of election. I do not endorse the Labor Party under Bill Shorten to assume Government and become Prime Minister, but compared to the current Government under Abbott, I would prefer Shorten and Labor. Having said that, if Malcolm Turnbull or Julie Bishop were to assume the Prime Ministership, I may favour a Liberal Government under either two, compared to Labor / Shorten.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.