[COM] Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in the Adelaide and North Adelaide areas.
Patrick_27
Super Size Scraper Poster!

[COM] Re: Rundle Mall Redevelopment | $30m

#976 Post by Patrick_27 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:59 pm

It wouldn't be Rundle Mall without the desperate attempt to include banner advertising feature on the support poles.

Still don't understand why the poles are set so far back from KW Street and Pultney Street? How are those area's not covered with the lights going to be lighten up?

SRW
Donating Member
Donating Member

#977 Post by SRW » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:33 pm

Patrick_27 wrote:It wouldn't be Rundle Mall without the desperate attempt to include banner advertising feature on the support poles.

Still don't understand why the poles are set so far back from KW Street and Pultney Street? How are those area's not covered with the lights going to be lighten up?
Floodlights.
Keep Adelaide Weird

[Shuz]

#978 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:34 am

Floodlights. Great. They can't even do a job well done. I'm really disappointed with the outcome of this lighting system. It's inconsistent - having two different types of lighting - floodlight and catenary lighting. Which have two different effects. One's an illuminator, the catenary is more for ambience.

Then you have the poles. And my latest understanding is that the catenary system will be hung in 'twos'. A very 90s corporate / executive look way of going about it.

I was really hoping that they'd have stuck to the original plan, which was for a more 'organic' catenary lighting system much like what Is installed in Federation Square, Melbourne. It would have complimented the more organic urban design themes of the mall - i.e. The pavers, the natural drainage path, the seating.

The 'paired' catenary system, propped up by these large poles instead of being attached to the existing buildings just in no way seems to compliment the organic urban design nature of the rest of the Mall Redevelopment. It's the opposite - fixed 'planned', structured, ordered - essentially not organic.

I have way too.many feelings about this lighting system. It's just they have done such a great job with the rest of.the mall redevelopment and the Council and relevant stakeholders should be so proud of what they have done and achieved in transforming this public space. But unfortunately it is things like this, which are part of the ambience of that space, that can make or break it. And I just feel like it will.break it because it just doesn't... go. They've deviated / compromised too much from the original.intention / concept.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

rhino

#979 Post by rhino » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:59 am

[Shuz] wrote:....... much like what Is installed in Federation Square, Melbourne......

:roll: :roll: :roll:
cheers,
Rhino

dsriggs
Legendary Member!

#980 Post by dsriggs » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:43 am

We need as many Federation Squares as possible!!! That'll show em!!

:roll:

Waewick

#981 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:45 am

maybe an organic one? that we can feel better about it and its impact on the enviroment.....

oh wait, i'm lost :mrgreen:

monotonehell
VIP Member
VIP Member

#982 Post by monotonehell » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:07 pm

Why are you guys dissing Shuz here? His point was a good one and well made. He pointed at Fed Sq not because he wants it replicated here, but only as an example of a lighting system well done.
Exit on the right in the direction of travel.

[Shuz]

#983 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:16 pm

monotonehell wrote:Why are you guys dissing Shuz here? His point was a good one and well made. He pointed at Fed Sq not because he wants it replicated here, but only as an example of a lighting system well done.
Thank you monotone! Exactly my point.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#984 Post by crawf » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:54 pm

Shuz makes a valid point.

Until it's 100% complete I want to remain optimistic, though I am really starting to get concerned about this new lighting system. In saying that, the poles could be a good platform for long narrow banners to be erected on which would bring colour to the mall, but they could also potentially look unsightly and out of place.

Two minds.

Nathan

#985 Post by Nathan » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:14 pm

One would have thought that the Lord Mayor, with his connections to business and as a previous head of Rundle Mall management, could have resolved the issue with building owners...

rhino

#986 Post by rhino » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:41 pm

crawf wrote:Until it's 100% complete I want to remain optimistic
This.
cheers,
Rhino

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#987 Post by Maximus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:49 pm

monotonehell wrote:Why are you guys dissing Shuz here?
Because if we all had a dollar for every time someone compared something in Adelaide to Federation Square, we'd have enough to money to dig the bloody thing up and relocate it from Melbourne!

Personally, I'm a bit sick and tired of the seemingly endless comparisons to what is really just a very underwhelming expanse of concrete.

Shuz's point is fine and valid -- it's just 'tainted' by what I shall hereby dub Federation Square Fatigue.
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.

[Shuz]

#988 Post by [Shuz] » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:32 pm

Oh for fucks sake - I only brought up the Federation Square thing because it's the only example I've personally seen of an organic catenary lighting system in a public space. Not because it's in Federation fucking Square.

If there was a organic catenary lighting system in another public place that I've seen and know of, I would have cited that as an example.

Waewick

#989 Post by Waewick » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:47 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Oh for fucks sake - I only brought up the Federation Square thing because it's the only example I've personally seen of an organic catenary lighting system in a public space. Not because it's in Federation fucking Square.

If there was a organic catenary lighting system in another public place that I've seen and know of, I would have cited that as an example.
I was just stirring, so don't take my comments too seriously. :cheers:

Maximus
Legendary Member!

#990 Post by Maximus » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:56 pm

[Shuz] wrote:Oh for fucks sake
Now, now... no need for cussing. I was just offering an answer to Mono's question. Didn't say that I agreed with the criticism of your post, just suggesting an explanation.

Have a good weekend, mate. :D
It's = it is; its = everything else.
You're = you are; your = belongs to.
Than = comparative ("bigger than"); then = next.