[U/C] Westfield Tea Tree Plaza (Extension)

All high-rise, low-rise and street developments in areas other than the CBD and North Adelaide. Includes Port Adelaide and Glenelg.
duke
High Rise Poster!

[U/C] Re: ONH: Tea Tree Plaza Upgrade | $190m

#406 Post by duke » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:12 pm

10 years on and it's back on the table.

Full article in this weeks messenger
http://messenger.newspaperdirect.com/epaper/viewer.aspx

I assume this also has something to do with the Aldi rumours for TTP.

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#407 Post by crawf » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:52 pm

No doubt this will also include paid parking.

Though I'm all for it, if it means this redevelopment will happen. Same goes for Marion.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#408 Post by Phantom » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:42 pm

Will the connection of Tea Tree Plus to Tea Tree Plaza vastly improve the amount of shoppers at Tea Tree Plus? I remember not that long ago when the Wendy's was up and running, with a Radio Rentals, Toys R Us, Rebel Sports and Harris Scarfe all in the centre. Now, it's pretty barren. Savers gets a few people, but it's not the same type of store as the others, dealing with the same kind of income.

I've always wondered about the survival of Tea Tree Plus. It's definitely overshadowed by its bigger brother. The set up of the extended centre for me is key to the longevity of the Tea Tree Plus side. Will businesses be even willing to come back to the Tea Tree Plus side?

One thing I would love to see in the shopping centre's extension is a Dan Murphy's, replacing the BWS by Woolworths (or even off site, like Marion).

95 extra shops would bring it up from 259 to 354. This is actually more than Marion and its 330.

Does anyone know how many shops are in Rundle Mall, btw?
"Mono, you're a knob. <3"

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#409 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:14 am

How can Adelaide sustain two major redevelopments of its two biggest shopping malls, in a period of economic and job uncertainty? It doesn't add up.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#410 Post by Phantom » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:27 am

[Shuz] wrote:How can Adelaide sustain two major redevelopments of its two biggest shopping malls, in a period of economic and job uncertainty? It doesn't add up.
I guess being the only huge shopping districts around their respective areas helps a lot. Maybe the retail sector isn't as unstable as other markets? I'm sure there are more reasons for than against, thus the announcement. Still though, I'm hopeful that more shops=more jobs, which isn't really a bad thing.

Just wondering Shuz, which one do you live closest to and how frequently do you go? I'm personally at Norwood, but will probably find my way to one or the other every second month.

[Shuz]
Super Size Scraper Poster!

#411 Post by [Shuz] » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:41 am

I live closest to Marion, but I haven't been there in years.

I always go to Rundle Mall for my shopping and entertainment. It's closer and its not a big soulness indoor shopping mall. Win-win.
Any views and opinions expressed are of my own, and do not reflect the views or opinions of any organisation of which I have an affiliation with.

Phantom
High Rise Poster!

#412 Post by Phantom » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:48 am

[Shuz] wrote:I live closest to Marion, but I haven't been there in years.

I always go to Rundle Mall for my shopping and entertainment. It's closer and its not a big soulness indoor shopping mall. Win-win.
But it does have a Sandman sticking out of a wall. :P

Ben
VIP Member
VIP Member

#413 Post by Ben » Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:02 am

Just like the recycled Marion article. I'll believe it when I see it. The amount of times the advertiser has changed the dates and posted the articles again is embarrassing.

bits
Legendary Member!

#414 Post by bits » Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:34 pm

[Shuz] wrote:How can Adelaide sustain two major redevelopments of its two biggest shopping malls, in a period of economic and job uncertainty? It doesn't add up.
I think either Westfield upgrade or lose more ground to new developments like Churchill centre and the new mall proposed for parafield gardens.
The 2 large malls might really get wiped out if they don't continue to upgrade.

Plus the economic downturn is more likely a media beat up than an actual problem. Money still seems very fluid in south Australia.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#415 Post by Brucetiki » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:20 pm

bits wrote:
I think either Westfield upgrade or lose more ground to new developments like Churchill centre and the new mall proposed for parafield gardens.

Plus the economic downturn is more likely a media beat up than an actual problem. Money still seems very fluid in south Australia.
Plus wouldn't the upgrades boost the economy - boost in construction jobs when the expansions are built, then additional retail jobs when the upgrades are complete, in turn providing these people with more disposable income to spend...

crawf
Donating Member
Donating Member

#416 Post by crawf » Thu Jun 25, 2015 10:54 pm

bits wrote:

I doubt that. Churchill Centre has a long way to go if ever to reach the size and choice that Marion, TTP, West Lakes etc have to offer.

P.S New mall for Parafield Gardens?

bits
Legendary Member!

#417 Post by bits » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:20 am

crawf wrote: I doubt that. Churchill Centre has a long way to go if ever to reach the size and choice that Marion, TTP, West Lakes etc have to offer.
P.S New mall for Parafield Gardens?
Oops new mall for Parafield:
http://www.sensational-adelaide.com/for ... f=8&t=5376

Churchill Centre has huge amounts of land it could expand in to. If Westfield do not upgrade and keep TTP as the mall to go to, Chruchill Centre could very well replace TTP as the premium northern mall.
Same goes for land space at Parafield. Elizabeth and Munno Para also are noteworthy.
Plus more and more malls will open or expand if Westfield do not soak up the perceived customer demand that has lead to these new malls.

If Westfield sits on their hands their market will just get eaten away year by year as their competitors see openings while places like TTP become old and tired.

duke
High Rise Poster!

#418 Post by duke » Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:41 pm

Has work started??!
There are fenced off areas near the Hungry Jacks side of TTP.
They have installed portable buildings also.

In terms of sustaining multiple developments, Westfield has to do both. They are in different regions of the metro area.
There are significant upgrades happening around the north, Parabanks, Churchill, Golden Grove, Parafield, along with a number of smaller ones.
TTP is ageing. It looks tired. It needs an upgrade along with a boost of new shops and parking.

Brucetiki
Legendary Member!

#419 Post by Brucetiki » Mon Jul 13, 2015 6:32 pm

duke wrote:Has work started??!
There are fenced off areas near the Hungry Jacks side of TTP.
They have installed portable buildings also.

In terms of sustaining multiple developments, Westfield has to do both. They are in different regions of the metro area.
There are significant upgrades happening around the north, Parabanks, Churchill, Golden Grove, Parafield, along with a number of smaller ones.
TTP is ageing. It looks tired. It needs an upgrade along with a boost of new shops and parking.
Not sure if you call Parabanks a major development, but then the fact the centre is being touched for the first time in about 30 years would make it a major development :lol:

Torrens_5022
High Rise Poster!

#420 Post by Torrens_5022 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 7:05 pm

Not sure why TTP would loose business to Churchill Centre, Westfield West Lakes is closer then TTP to Churchill Centre. TTP really is in a different catchment area. The Churchill Centre and Brickworks are both infill developments that fit into areas that don't have a close mall and are medium sized malls.